CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #21
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/12/e...gery-take.html WFS

Very important mwod. Keep that scapula retracted. If you let the sling pull your shoulder forward you'll get all those muscles glued together making it harder to rehab later.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #22
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Awesome Michael, thanks for that. Ill definately incorporate a lot of the stuff in that mwod with my current exercises. He's totally right with the sling making you stiff and pulling your shoulder forward. I can already feel this happening 4 days in. The sling makes everything sieze up, hand, elbow, shoulder, even fingers if you dont keep things moving.

Its a catch 22, the tighter you have your sling the better it feels, but the tighter the sling the more your shoulder pulls forward. I find myself constantly making sure my shoulder isnt pulled too far forward. These mwods will definately help things.

Michael do you know what is involved with your first surgery yet, ie anchors, cut v scope etc?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #23
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Brown View Post
Awesome Michael, thanks for that. Ill definately incorporate a lot of the stuff in that mwod with my current exercises. He's totally right with the sling making you stiff and pulling your shoulder forward. I can already feel this happening 4 days in. The sling makes everything sieze up, hand, elbow, shoulder, even fingers if you dont keep things moving.

Its a catch 22, the tighter you have your sling the better it feels, but the tighter the sling the more your shoulder pulls forward. I find myself constantly making sure my shoulder isnt pulled too far forward. These mwods will definately help things.

Michael do you know what is involved with your first surgery yet, ie anchors, cut v scope etc?
Not sure yet, will know more on thursday. I' know it'll be arthro though.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Keep us posted on the prognosis Michael... good luck on Thursday.

Day 6:

My general soreness around the shoulder is all but gone now and im pretty much off the meds. If i take anything now its just headache tablets. Im actually pretty suprised how quick the soreness went away. The only time i tend to feel it now is at night, it aches a bit. I think this is largely due to it being in the sling tho.

Sleep isnt too bad a the moment, only woke up once last night, not due to pain, just needed to shift positions... not that i have too many options with sleeping positions.. ie, on my back or on my back..

Gonna grab a big bottle of fish oil tabs and start them today. Diet is going well, ive always been very anal with diet so this was never really a concern. We just make sure we dont buy any bad stuff.. reduces the temptation when sitting on the couch.

Coffee addiction... well thats another story..!!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
Michael Dries

Profile:

6 days in and no more pain meds. good progress. Keep us updated.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #26
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Day 7:

A week tmrw since i had the surgery. All in all things are going well. Today the shoulder keeps 'biting' me, small sharp irregular bursts of pain, but nothing that requires anything more than a few headache tablets. Im not sure if this just another part of the process or because ive upped my 'out of sling' exercises to 3 times per day (this is what the physio stated i should be doing). I'm iceing everyday now, so no doubt this will help.

Pain at this stage could probably best be described as 3.5/10.. 10 being the worst.. so not too bad.

Started walking (40mins) outside with my dog today.. good to get the blood through the legs again and things felt fine afterwards.

Sleep is still irregular, waking up approx 3-4 times per night due to 'positional' reasons.

Talk soon guys!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #27
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 2:

No real changes as i head into week 2. Pretty much cannot feel any pain now when my arm is in the sling. When i take it out of the sling it still feels pretty tender to move and as expected is very weak.

To put the lack of strength into perspective, i only just have enough strength to turn a door handle. Im sure this will improve soon though.

ROM wise it is still very stiff when i raise it to chest level. At this stage it wont go any higher than that.

Sleep is still the biggest issue. Trying to sleep in a sling sucks.

Completely off all medication now.

In to see the surgeon next Tuesday so i'll post again with results of that meeting.

Take it easy.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
Gravel Brown

Profile:

2 Weeks Post Surgery:

Today i had my first meeting with the surgeon post op and he said that all went well. As predicted he installed 4 anchors and said that the tear was very large. Due to this i'll definately be in my sling for a full 8 weeks.

Also due to the above he's not keen for me to start proper PT until week 9 so for now im restricted to just doing my passive exercises 3 times per day and in the sling for the remainder of the time.. bit of a downer as i was keen to get things rolling but its all for the best in the long run i guess.

Also had my dressing and stitches removed today. The cut is quite large, approx 20cm long from the top of my shoulder down into my armpit... bigger than i expected.

Pain wise im starting to experience a bit more of a stabbing type pain every so often, ie every few hours i can feel it. On the pain scale its probably around 7/10 when this happens, at all other times its fine though.

Sleeping in a sling is the worst part by far... very annoying. Thank god the Tour De France is on so im entertained whilst awake at 2am!!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #29
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Heading into week 3:

Im starting to notice a little more pain now. More often than not i experience no pain at all during the day but then come night time im having sharp, aching pains in the joint. Ive done a bit of research and this is quite common, all part of the healing process.

I reached a point mid week where the pain was quite regular so i backed off my passive exercises for a day and that helped, must have settled it down a bit.

Thats the biggest thing i think with this recovery, its all about listening to your body and working smart.. if it starts to hurt.. back off a bit.

Im very cautious with my passive exercises about only reaching a point where i feel a bit of a stretch and then not going any further.

The surgeon and physio have both stressed that i can do anything in front of my body just bending my elbow, ie reaching up to scratch your nose etc, its just external rotation - where your forearm bends outwards away from the body that is a big no no. Basically im not allowed to move my forearm further than 30 degrees away from my body. If i do i risk tearing the sutures and retearing the parts that are trying to reattach themselves.

Sleeping and getting dressed is still a hassle.. putting on a tshirt takes a while and can hurt as no matter how hard i try the shoulder joint always moves around a bit.. just a matter of limiting this as much as possible and taking it slow.

Heres an excellent Youtube blog for people going through SLAP surgery. It documents the journey from day 1 all the way through and ive found it to be an excellent resource for comparing where im at. Bettsy if your a member on here mate thanks for this as ive found it to be very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/noabadju.../1/F93DTRyp0ZI
Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Week 4:

Heading into week 4 post op this week. Ive noticed now that my shoulder is really starting to stiffen up. Prior to this it has felt quite loose and sloppy when ive been doing the passive rehab exercises but now it feels like someone has poured concrete into my joint. I guess this is a sign of everything beginning to knit back together.. i hope so anyway.

Pain is still intermittent and every now and then i do experience some sharp pain right inside of the joint. Majority of the time though it is fine and i cant feel a thing.

Ive been trying to keep it out of the sling for slightly longer than just my rehab exercises this week, just to reduce the aches from the sling.

Having it out of the sling is a catch 22 though as its easy sometimes to forget about it and make bad movements... it reminds me pretty quick when i do this though!! Im very concious of not lifting any type of object of a decent weight. Ive heard stories of people lifting a gallon of milk and re-tearing. Im so paranoid of re-tearing its not funny.

When it is out of the sling ive found a good way to hold it in the correct position is to put my hand in my pants pocket, or bend the arm in front of the body and hang onto my shirt.. just a small trick ive found reduces me moving it around too much when out of the sling.

Another month in the sling and then i start proper PT. Also another 2 weeks of no driving. Ive been keeping up with the mobility exercises mentioned above.. they help a lot, especially because the sling makes everything tight and makes the bicep and tricep area ache.

I can do a little bit more with it out of the sling now though, ie i can now type 2 hands on the laptop, shower quite easily and getting dressed is now much easier. Im keeping up with the fish oil tabs which definately help. Pain relief is rarely required now. Sleep is still very sporadic.

Still need to be careful not to move it more than 30 degrees away from my body though. Its that stiff i dont think it would go beyond that anyhow.

Talk soon guys.

Last edited by Gravel Brown; 07-13-2011 at 07:11 AM..