CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Steven Rogers

Profile:
Re: What to avoid with torn ACL (surgery not an option - now)

I have a slack ACL from an old injury that left it intact but streatched it, so I'm apparently not a candidate for reconstruction, but the ACL isn't fully functional. My orthopedist wants me to emphasize quad strength for stability and has advised me to do partial range quad extensions (last 30 to 40 degrees).

I'm doing squats and deadlifts supplemented by the partial quad extensions. In considering ACL reconstruction, you need to weigh the type of activities you want to do against the cost in both money and time, rehab takes a while. If you want to do things with a lot of twisting, it should be worth the down time.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

Corey, Great idea on the agility moves. When I worked with a trainer in January, he had me doing some of these initially. Later, he had me focus on more isolation exercises. I will try to do more of the agility work. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for some good agility exercises to incorporate?

Dan, (Steven(s) and Mike) Thanks for taking the time to post. All of your input is helpful and most appreciated.

Victor, encourage your wife to do CrossFit if she hasn't started already. I do feel like my knee is more stable as a result of my efforts with the WODs.

Jake, I already have a little arthritis. Your point is well-taken. I think the same thing, and I believe in proaction vs. reaction. I am sure that an ACL reconstruction will be cheaper and more efficacious in the long run for my body due to related wear and tear on hips, etc. I didn't know that about Elway and Thomas - they played pro football without an ACL??!! WOW! Time for me to stop my wanking. Knowing that gives me some serious motivation and perspective.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Jake Thompson

Profile:

Maryanne, I guess what I was getting at is that as long as you can do what you want without the surgery, you don't need the surgery. You can have a "functionally stable knee" the is "clinically unstable". Arthritis is just the joint wearing out, its part of the old "AGE syndrome", everyone has it. The thing is those who continue to stay active generally don't have the symptoms.

If you want/need the surgery, then use the arthritis and joint replacement scenario to your advantage.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Victor, encourage your wife to do CrossFit if she hasn't started already.
I'm tryin', I'm tryin'! (heh)--actually she had expressed some concern about squats hurting her knee, so the knowledge that they seem to help will probably aid me...
Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

Jake,

AGE syndrome. LOL! Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

this was actually a good thread for me too. i had a lateral meniscus tear and acl tear in my left knee back in '99 from cheerleading. i had a graft taken from my patela tendon to mend everything. to this day, i still have pain from time to time. i even have what i can only guess is arthritis when it gets cold out (my surgeon told me i would eventually get it in a few years).

i do everything from lunges to squats (with and without weights). i can tell i still favor the right so i have to really be conscious of that when i do my exercises. i can also tell that i'm sometimes scared so i psych myself out.

i wish you the best of luck. tearing an acl is no fun at all.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

Sakura,

First of all, I saw your post on how much you've accomplished since starting with CrossFit. That is amazing! I love seeing other women who enjoy the challenge of CrossFit! You have done an awesome job!

So far, the only two exercises that have really had me thinking twice after attempting them have been box jumps and the split jerk. I think I will try the box jumps again - it's only the jumping back down that screw me up. However, the split jerk may just have to be taboo for me. So far, I haven't seen that exercise in a WOD - so I should be safe. Until I am in a place to fix the ACL, I will keep on keeping on. So far, so good.

Keep up the great work!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #18
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

thanks, maryanne! crossfit rocks my world. my husband still cracks jokes about me watching all the videos on the main site and connecting with the likes of allisonnyc and other cf gyms on myspace. hahaha. oh dear. whatever keeps me motivated, right?

oh yeah...a little picture for you guys and gals. a small battle wound from the "12 Days of CrossFit" we did here at Diablo CF yesterday...

p.s. it's the skinned knee and not the scars...hehehe

http://a503.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...910a0d99ce.jpg