CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

How to the different crossfit facilities deal with large class sizes? Specifically, when you have at least 8 ppl in a class, how can everyone complete the same WOD? Does CrossfitHQ have that many sets of Oly Bars (+weights), Kettlebells, Rowers, Dumbells, Poly Boxes.....

How many ppl can one club reasonably train on the same WOD at the same time. It is very expensive to purchase 10 of everything, so how do others do it?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Court Wing

Profile:
Hey Yoni-
there is a lot of pooling of resources, from what I've seen. At CFN, they started in a garage, then moved into a hanger room, then a much bigger one and just accrued equipment as they went along. They were very resourceful in finding some of that stuff and have always charged enough to cover for their time and overhead, so less stress for them. At CFN, they could have 20 working out at a time, sometimes in staggered rounds, other times with partners, depending on the workout. And the time would go by very fast (unless you're the one doing the workout, then it sucks as usual).
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:
Yoni, Though I am not a "CrossFit facility" yet, I have between 8 and 20 ppl in a class at varying fitness levels. I don't have much equipment either but enough to give them an official CrossFit WOD. I have PVC for OL, dumbells, jump stretch bands for pull ups, rings, jumpropes ($1 each), all carried around in my truck. Also, some in the group have equipment of their own that I may have them bring for a paticular workout. (like kettlebells and more rings) Also, we use the stadium for box jumps..... I could go on but the simple answer is you really don't need equipment to start. As you grow you aquire. Today I will have 18 ppl and plan on doing Fran. One dumbell for everyone, the track and we will use the stadium supports(angle iron) for pull ups. I slowly learned how to scale and replace different exercises for the equipment I lacked by attending CrossFit certs and through the Martins at (xmartialarts) Hope that helps.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Yoni,
Mikki or I would be happy to send you some of our workouts if you want or answer specific questions regarding workouts.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:
Oh, I forgot one and it was big. Dynamax.... Coach Jim Cawly of Dynamax has been very generous with discounts and us CrossFitters. I have about 6 Dynamax balls and 2 very inexpesive training bars and plates he made. My class loves it when I incorportate them in workouts.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
You have to be creative too. Choose workouts where each person can be at a different station, then you need much less equipment. Look at the Fight Gone Bad video in the archives.

Staggering the workouts too is a way of making it possible for several people to workout and share equipment. Send one group out on a run first and when they get back send the next group out. One group running, the other lifting.

Try to be smart and place the slow people into a different group than the fast people so they won't hold up the equipment. Encourage the slower people to use lighter weights and variations to go faster instead of struggling for long periods of time with heavy weights or hard exercises. If you look at the Frelen video, many people are doing jumping pullups. That way they get thru them instead of taking up valuable time and space struggling with pullups that they can't do.

When you have no other options, just substitute a bodyweight exercise for a weighted exercise. Not enough dumbbells for swings? Doing standing broad jumps! Do burpees!

Let's say you are working with a big class on a skill that requires equipment...like teaching a lift. Get as many broomsticks/pvc pipes/bodybars and you can get so everyone has one. Teach the lift using the sticks. Get the form down! No weight, just lots of reps with good form. Then have enough barbells so that they can work in groups of 3-6 people. Then have each person do sets of 3 reps. Have the others in the group watch their form and critique them. Let each person in the groups cycle through so they all get to do 3-6 sets with the barbell and light weight.

Another idea:

Break up the group into teams and have the teams small enough so everyone can do the workout with the equipment that you have. Then let one team go and then let the other team try to beat their time. Then do best of 3 or 5 or best of 7! This works with the fast workouts or the ones for multiple rounds. Like for Fran, each team can do a round while the other team rests and see which team does each round fastest. Best of 5 or best of 7 would be great.

Finally be creative and jump on, throw, lift and climb anything that's near you.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

Thanks for the responses.
I understand the idea of being creative and utilizing little equip.. (I have to do that with my underfunded wrestling team very often - although we raised $ and bought 10 pullup bars last year).

I am really asking about a formal facility. How can a facility like Crossfit HQ, Crossfit North, or Norcal (or others) charge $ and then tell some individuals that they cant use the weight they want, but must go lower b/c they dont have enough equipment?

For a facility to function, in my opinion, they must have a maximum # of ppl allowed per class before they must change the WOD that they planned to do. For exapmple how can HQ do workouts such as Diane, Elizabeth, Grace , Lynne - without a whole bunch of bars (lots of equip); Or Karen or Kelly - without a bunch of balls?

In the video of Frelen it looked like HQ had a bunch (20) sets of dumbells - that can be very expensive, especially with different weights.

When training for time, you can not just have some ppl standing around waiting/checking others technique - they are being timed as well...

I'm just trying to understand and get a better idea for how this works, sorry for being long winded.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Tony Young

Profile:
Yoni,
You'll find that some of your questions will answer themselves as you go thru the workouts for awhile.

(Almost)none of the WOD's should last more than 30 minutes for *most* people. If they're longer than that, somebody's sandbagging or the workout's been scaled incorrectly. That's 2 30 minute blocks in an hour session. Break it up into teams. When practical, rotate thru your equipment.

Improvise equipment. Use a mix of barbells and dumbbells. Try sandbags as med balls. Do thrusters with big rocks. Remember, CF is about functionality; nothing will be the same twice in a row in life either. Sell the unique training qualities of "real world" equipment.

Invent workouts based on CF principles using what you have. Nothing says you have to swear loyalty to the posted WOD.

We should all be so fortunate to worry about too many trainees.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
One thing I noticed at Brand-X is that people would tend to speed up their workout at times in order to jump on a "better" piece of equipment - be it a barbell or rope or pullup station, etc. - before someone got it. All part of Jeff's evil plan...
Old 06-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #10
Court Wing

Profile:
The main thing is not everyone shows up to the gym at the same time, so not everyone starts in on one of the "Girls" at the same time. At CFN, Nick'd just ask "Are you warmed up? Then you can jump in with these guys (4 or 5 standing around) on the next round"...simple. And if it's a 20 minute workout, that's 3 separate groups in an hour without using a lap timer or staggering.
I think your other concern is about having enough equipment so that no one has to wait. Well, so far what I've experienced in CF is that everyone has to take turns. That works out great because then you have a cheering (or harasing) section and people can critique your form. The whole having-enough-stairmasters-for-everyone mentality came from franchising places like Gold's or Ballys, where they want to put you on some no brainer, no skill, no challenge machine so that they can have a very high turnover rate. What makes programs such as CF unique, distinctive & elite level is the training, community & results we offer, not all the cool gadgets. Now, some of our facilities have endevoured to really model what a truely thought-out gym should have available with fitness, not numbers, being the end goal but they all started much smaller with much less and still got the same results.