CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
I know that alot of people around here have had hernias repaired. I had an inguinal hernia repaired about 8 months ago and for the next few months, I would experience a burning/stinging sensation at the skin level in my upper left leg and pelvis/groin. Since it was kind off and on and was getting better over the long haul, I figured it was nerves repairing themselves, but now the pain is back and it is not going away.

Anybody else experience this after a hernia repair? Any ideas what is might be? I am still working out, and I know that I probably ought to go to the doctor. But I am almost afraid to go to the doctor because he might tell me to stop training. Doctors always seem to err way to far on the side of caution when it comes to workouts.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
David Besachio

Profile:
Jim:

I don't know what kind of repair you had but a not so uncommon side effect of inguinal hernia repair is injury to the ilioinguinal nerve which can result in pain similar to what you're describing.

David
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
What do you do to treat an injury to the ilioinguinal nerve?

Jim
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
David Besachio

Profile:
Jim:

Here's a laundry list of what physicians may offer:

-Wait for it to get better (many do)
-Activity avoidance (not what you want)
-Pain medications or meds that improve chronic pain symptoms.
-Selective nerve block or ablation (numbness to that area of the skin may be preferrable to constant pain).
-Some may want to go back in and see if the nerve is trapped in mesh or scar tissue and get it out.
-Some may want to cut the nerve out.

I'm not a surgeon or pain mgmt expert but if this isn't getting better you may want to seek out one of these two.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Thanks alot
Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: Burning pain post hernia repair

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat and have some follow-up questions. (If I start another one like it, somebody'll point out that I should use the "Search" feature, LOL, so I don't know which is more offensive...)

I had a laparoscopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh 8 days ago. Recovery seems to be going well except that I have about a 3"-4": triangular area on my lower-left side of my abdomen (starts at about the top of my you-know, goes up about 3" and then goes over to my left thigh) that is now always a little numb. If I sit or stand in the same position for more than a couple of minutes, it gets a lot more numb and sometimes burns about like it's been rubbed with old fashioned liniment. It's borderline intolerable when it really gets going.

How many of you guys who've had these repairs have had this happen? Did it go away? How long did it take to go away?

I'm hoping to get a feel for how I should expect this to go. The original thread has a small data set.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 06-24-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Brad Davis

Profile:

Oh yeah, one more thing. It took a couple of days to notice it, but I realize now that I have zero sensation of bladder fullness even when I really need to go. The only way I know to go do #1 is by remembering that it's been a while since I did it. However, I do have complete control, so am not peeing on myself.

Is this normal? Does it go away? LOL, it's almost a good thing in a way.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

For sensory nerves sensation will come back... dunno about the burning though that's weird. Might wanna ask your doc.

Bladder sensation you might wanna ask the doc about that too.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Brad Davis

Profile:

Thanks Steven.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Had my inguinal hernia repaired yesterday. The surgery was cake as was day one. I told the anesthesiologist that I was concerned about post surgery nausea as I had it after my wisdom teeth taken out and once the fog cleared I felt absolutely fine. Oh and my surgeon knew what crossfit was

Woke up this morning and whoa baby. The pain certaintly isn't the worst I've ever felt, but the fact that everything but laying flat on my back triggers the pain is very uncomfortable. Even standing to urinate hurts.

I hear day two and three are the worst and can't wait to be past them.