CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Back has been bothering me for two months or more and i thought it was starting to get better, until today i did a 5X5 workout and it was really bothering me in the bottom position on squats..any ideas? Flexibility maybe?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
can you be more specific? Where's the soreness? Are you getting spasms? Any problems with deadlifts?

Is your core strong? How are hyperextensions?

How is your squat form? Are you leaning forward too much and asking your lower back to support the weight?

Some people swear by straight-legged deadlifts to loosen up hamstrings and strengthen the lower back.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Jeffrey, if your hamstrings and glutes are tight the bottom of your pelvis will roll forward at the lowest point of the squat, resulting in a loss of arch in your lower back, ie you lose that strong butt back/chest forward position and consequently you also lose the protection that the correct position affords. Rolling your pelvis under at the bottom of the squat places a lot of pressure on your lower back, and can result in lower back pain, and if not corrected lower back injury such as ruptuered discs etc.

The remedy is to stretch glutes, hamstrings and ITB (outside of thigh) to increase flexibility and in the meantime limit the depth of the squat so that you can maintain proper form and back position at the lowest point of the squat. As flexibility improves, depth can increase accordingly.

It is really helpful to have someone spot your form for you, or videotape yourself from the side and look for the point where your hips start to roll under.

I have also seen people roll under at the bottom if their beathing is incorrect and they release air at the bottom position of the squat.

Hope this helps. Torturing yourself with a foam roller is a great way to stretch lower body. http://www.power-systems.com/news/01_26_06b.aspx

Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
feel as my core is pretty strong, the pain is more of a steady annoyance rather then spasms, I think there is a godd chance that flexibility maight be the issue...although I been trying to get more flexible for awhile now...any recommendations on specific stretches to help this problem?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I have found good mornings to help me with this alot.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Have you tried just doing a few sets of bodyweight squats before you start? 3 x 10 bodyweight squats focusing on perfect form and getting comfortably low. Make sure you're maintaining the lower back arch.

I then do calf stretches (if your knees can't go forward in the squat due to tight calves, it may throw off your form) by standing on a step and letting the heel descend. Hamstring stretches by touching the floor. Also, what I call the Kono stretch but it's got a real name: take a light weight (probably 15-20lb dumbbells in each hand), stand up straight then lower the weights to the floor (stand on something to get them lower), and roll your body down. This is the complete opposite of the form you would use for a deadlift because you are collapsing your lower back arch. But if done with light weights, it gives you a stretch throughout the chain and helps to strengthen your lower back.

Just some thoughts. A good coach or PT would be able to watch you and tell you where the problem actually is.