CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:
Zone help

So I'm just beginning the Zone diet, and I am on a 11 block day, with ratio of 1:1:4 (equal carb and protein with 4x fat) I have the Zone book, and a few reference pages for block conversions for foods. My question is how do I convert foods to blocks that are not on the reference pages? And how can I tell which foods are not just a protein or a carb or fat? For example, if 1 egg is concidered 1 block of protein, is it also a fat? I'm also confused on if a food has like 13 g carbs..is it 1 or 2 blocks? Because one block is 9g?
Any explanations would be helpful I have the Entering the Zone book..so if anyone has a certain page or chapter that would help me out let me know!
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Zone help

Don't overthink things--count foods as their primary macronutrient only. Yes, an egg has a lot of fat, but to simplify things you only count it as protein. Some vegetables will have a little protein but you still count them as carbs only. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to count individual grams, the Zone is supposed to make things easier by allowing you to count blocks rather than grams or calories.

If something isn't in the book use the standard block conversions--7g is one block of protein, 9g is one block of carbs, and 1.5g (3g, actually) is one block of fat. So if it's 13g of carbs count it as 1 or 2, it really doesn't matter enough to obsess over. Being a few grams off isn't going to ruin your "magical" hormonal Zone as Sears would have you believe. If anything just err on the side of a little lower carb and a little higher protein and fat and you'll be ok as long as you're eating mostly Paleo choices.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:

Okay, thats what I've been doing for the most part..is only counting foods as one macronutrient. But for example this morning I had a 2% fage greek yogurt..and the nutrtion label for that was 4g of fat, 8g carb, 17g protein. I counted this as 1 fat, 1 carb, and 2 protein. Is this right?
Also..for my goals I'm doing a 1:1:4 ratio of equal ratios of carb to protein, but 4x fat. I'm 11 blocks, so each meal and snack is 2 blocks..so does this mean at every meal and snack I have 2 blocks protein and carb and 8 blocks fat?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Unless you are physically tiny and completely sedentary, you will probably find that 11 blocks is not enough.

Katherine
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Unless you are physically tiny and completely sedentary, you will probably find that 11 blocks is not enough.

Katherine
Just focus on eating quality food, don't weigh and measure. You will find that you will eat more (because baseline zone is pretty low calorie), feel better, and enjoy life more.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

Thanks for asking these questions. I am like you, and I tend to "obsess" over the details of the "diet."
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

Oh, and I also only get 12 blocks. I don't think you have to be tiny and sedentary to eat only 11. I'm 153 with 23% BF.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

If you don't mind me asking... Why are you going 4x fat. Where can i find info on this. I've been zoneing for 6 months and i have wanted to play around witeh the numbers -ie for a 4 block meal i'll do 5 block protein 3 block carb and 4 block fat. Can i do that? Am i highjacking your thread? if so sry...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Boyarchuk View Post
If you don't mind me asking... Why are you going 4x fat. Where can i find info on this. I've been zoneing for 6 months and i have wanted to play around witeh the numbers -ie for a 4 block meal i'll do 5 block protein 3 block carb and 4 block fat. Can i do that? Am i highjacking your thread? if so sry...
Fat doesn't produce a hormonal response like carbs or protein--it's relatively neutral--so fat is an easy way to add in non-insulin spiking calories. Say if you're about 180lbs and eat 20 blocks and you're getting too lean or seeing your performance drop, it's easier to go to 3x or 4x fat blocks than it is to go to 30 total blocks, because it's harder to eat 30 blocks worth of quality protein and carbs. Adding fat blocks is easy because you can do that with a little extra olive oil or a handful of nuts.

You can tweak the Zone however you want--40/30/30 isn't magic. It's a good starting point, from which you can make adjustments and see what works for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Boyarchuk View Post
You should read/search for/purchase the article "42 ways to skin the zone" by Robb wolf.