CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:
Muslce ups

I've been trying and trying to get a full muslce up..and I was curious to know how long it took those who have a muslce up to get theirs? How long it took them and what they did to do it.
Any advice and input is helpful
Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Muslce ups

Took me about 6 months of CrossFit. I was only working toward getting a muscle-up for 2 of those months, though. I could do one deadhang pull-up when I started CF if that helps as a guideline. It will obviously be different for everyone but that's my 2 cents.

I did tons of pullups, then tons of weighted pullups. Tons of ring dips, then tons of weighted ring dips. You don't really have to do a whole lot of focused training. It's mostly technique. Learn to kip really well and it'll be easy.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
John Burch

Profile:

best tip I got was to shoot the head through at the top of the Kip, elbows in close together it took me several weeks to get one and then several more weeks to be able to hit it on every try. Andrew is correct pullups and ring dips are key
Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Took me about 6 months of CrossFit. I was only working toward getting a muscle-up for 2 of those months, though. I could do one deadhang pull-up when I started CF if that helps as a guideline. It will obviously be different for everyone but that's my 2 cents.

I did tons of pullups, then tons of weighted pullups. Tons of ring dips, then tons of weighted ring dips. You don't really have to do a whole lot of focused training. It's mostly technique. Learn to kip really well and it'll be easy.
I agree.. it's all about technique [obviously you've got to have a certain degree of strength].. Aside from a few times here and there, I never really worked on them until I actually joined an affiliate. I started out w/3 one on one sessions w/one of the coaches and each time, we worked a little on the muscle up.. and on the 3rd session, I got it.

The reason I agree that it's more about technique is that I got it on my 3rd day and I'm not a very skilled or strong guy. I only have about 10 dead hang pull ups @ the moment and maybe 12 ring dips unbroken and as for lower body strength, let's just say my squat max is under 200lb. Good technique through proper coaching is the only thing I can think of as to how I did it. LOL.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

The transition is always what killed me. Before I got on the rings for the first time, I could crank out 20+ dead hang pullups and 40+ dips with ease, but I could never get through the transition.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Pearse Shields

Profile:

If you find a kip hard, then try a "flick" up. Pike a bit, feet pointed up at the ceiling, body roughly forming an "L" shape. Swing feet down, use momentum and pull yourself on top of the rings. And don't forget the ever-important false grip.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
If you find a kip hard, then try a "flick" up. Pike a bit, feet pointed up at the ceiling, body roughly forming an "L" shape. Swing feet down, use momentum and pull yourself on top of the rings. And don't forget the ever-important false grip.
That's actually really good advice, I never thought about it this way, but that's what it feels like
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Brent Latimer

Profile:

I tried for a long time to just jump right into doing a muscle-up... didn't get very far.

I'd suggest watching the transition videos in the Journal. (WFS)
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/leo-muscle-up.tpl
http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/11/...-muscle-up.tpl

If you don't have a journal subscription hurry up and get one!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Also, if you want to leave the technicalities out... I learned to muscle-up in this manner:

I pull up as far as I possibly can with just my arms, using a false grip, then when you're at the top of where you can pull with your arms, just kick your knees up high and use that momentum to get through the transition. Works for me.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:

Thanks for all the tips! At the moment, I don't have a kipping pull up, so I guess I should work on getting that down perfect, then work on my ring dips (because they're pretty weak) and throughout trying to perfect those two exercises, hopefully my muslce up will come along.
So much to learn! I feel like such a weekling, I can't do anything!