CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Jake Williams

Profile:
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums but have been doing crossfit for a couple years now (on and off). I need some advise, about 4 years ago I went to my doctor because I was tired and depressed all the time. He started prescribing me anti-depressants which did not do much. Lately it got worse so my MD had some blood work done my total testosterone level was 320 far below the average for a 25 year old (I even had my blood work done in the morning). I fit all the symptoms for low T and my MD said I should consider trying testosterone replacement. I have been very active my whole life but lately it is hard to get out of bed let alone going to the gym. What do you think? My diet is fairly clean, I stopped drinking alcohol over 6 months ago, and yes I did use testosterone enhancers when I was younger. Any advice is appreciated. I am only 25 but feel 50.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
I just read some information the other day about male menopause. Apparently this hits men in their early 30s. Testosterone levels begin to drop and with that comes memory loss, fatigue, depression, and anger - to name a few. Also, with lower testosterone, it becomes harder to build muscle and easier to gain fat.

I have been reading about this to get more information. These effects occur over many years and most men just attribute it to old age. The real culpriate is apparently male menopause (which I guess goes hand-in-hand with old age).

Anyway, I realize that you are younger than the normal age that this it supposed to set in, but perhaps you are an exception. Everything I have read talks about meeting with your doctor and having tests run (which you already have done). I believe the next step is to have the doctor prescribe testosterone supplements (cream, gel, shots).

Has your doctor told you about testosterone supplements? If not, I would ask him/her about it. You may also want to get a second opinion. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jake:

Standard disclaimer: this post should be used as general information and should not be construed as medical advice or treatment. For treatment and advice consult your personal physician.

Low testerosterone in young men is an established, albeit uncommon, malady recognized in the medical community.It causes all of the symptoms you describe. It is treated with exogenous (from outside) testosterone in cream, gel, or injectable form. It is monitored by periodic blood tests to establish a return to normal range testosterone. There is a PGA member (can't remember his name) who has quite successfully been treated, returning his performance to pre-diagnosis levels. Carefully consider you doctor's advice; (s)he sounds reasonable.

Regarding the depression, you may wish to keep an open mind about treatment after you have acheived normal testosterone levels. Depression is very common, and failure to achieve a favorable result with a particular anti-depressant medication does not mean that you will not respond to other treatment. If necessary seek additional treatment from a mental health professional in addition to your physician.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Jake Williams

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping if I can bring my test levels up the depression will go away, since none of the medicines have helped that much so far.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
First thing first.

If you carry a cell phone at waist level, for extended periods of time, STOP.

Go all Paleo.

There's many other things that can be done before going the exogenous T route. For example, if you are deficient in zinc and/or magnesium, adding some T may help raise those levels (and help you feel better), BUT it will not stop the multitude of other issues that are occurring in your body due to basic mineral deficiency(s).

Get 9.5 hours of sleep a night.

If you have a job that requires extensive travel, at this point, you may wish to reconsider your choice of occupation (radiation in airplanes could be enough to affect you over time).

Get tested for metal and solvent toxicity, and ensure you aren't being exposed to them on a regular basis as well as you can.

Start simple.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hi Jake,

I am 32 years old and unfortunately mental illness runs in my family and I am very much affected by depression, mainly during the winter. Just recently, I stopped exercising regularly due to a stomach ulcer and I indulged in some really negative self-talk and some melancholy.

In the past my doctor has suggested I take anti-depressants however I have never and do not want to take that path. I have always found that exercising, eating clean, 7- 8 hours sleep per night, staying away from negative people and especially people who smoke and drink alcohol profusely, have helped me immensely.

Lately it has been difficult for me to make that step out of bed but after a workout on my rings and crossfit, I always feel amazing afterwards. The adrenalin rush from crossfit becomes somewhat addictive.

In regards to low sex drive, I have never had my T levels measured however I did read on Mike Mahler's website that if you are a male not waking up with a "morning woody" every morning, then it is safe to assume that T levels are not at their optimum level. Taking ZMA before bedtime can make a difference.

Additonally, I dont know why this happens but whenever I do exercises like heavy squats, deadlifts, broad jumps, overhead walking lunges....the next morning I notice that my sex drive is incredibly high, higher than usual. My energy skyrockets and as a result, my outlook on life is much more positive.

Depression really sucks.... I know this first hand. All I can say is..... surround yourself with good people...people with integrity (hard to find these days), and don't listen to those negative voices that tell you can't do this and that.

I know this may sound corny and stupid but sometimes when I`m down, I think of Navy SEALs, their metal toughness and try adopt this warrior mindset to prompt me to take that leap out of bed.

Just my two cents worth...

cheers
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Rich Stackon

Profile:
Shane, I had read somewhere that heavy lifting exercises such as squats in particular, will raise the level of test in your system and stimulate natural GH release. That is why you feel the way you do after a good squat workout (all the more reason to do it more!)
Jake, as far as your situation, you should certainly look into the test replacement therapy. I am no doctor, but have spoken to my doctor about this matter (not that I have low test, I am just turning 40 so it's time I started asking about this stuff), and I think your use as a younger lad of testosterone may have inhibited your body's natural production. A lot of roiders experience this problem. The synthetic testosterone signals your body to produce less of it (hence, gonadal shrinkage), and it makes it difficult or a much longer time before your body can synthesize it naturally again.
I think the T replacement may help your mood and situation, so you should seriously discuss the option with your doctor. Just make sure you get regular blood tests to make sure your liver and other organs are good to go.