CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
John Elstad

Profile:
I ran yesterday's 5K WOD on a treadmill. I was really happy about my time, but afterward I did the math and realized that either the indicated speed or the indicated distance must have been wrong. I don't know the make and model of the treadmill, but it was one of those fancy electronic ones. Anyone know of issues with treadmill accuracy? Thanks.

Oh, here are my stats in case that helps. I ran all but the first twenty seconds of the 5K at 8.8mph and completed in 20:29. However, at that speed, I should have finished in 21:08.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Don't really use treadmills as they feel very unnatural to run on.

Remember that a treadmill if it isn't set up right is actually easier to run on than on the ground. Elevation has to be set at either 3 or 4 to get roughly the same effect as outside.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Don Woodson

Profile:
There seems to be some variations on them. I was running on a treadmill at work right next to another guy about my height. We were running in step, exact same tempo, and my treadmill said 6.5, and his said 7.5 mph.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

I calibrated my treadmill, becuse I thought it was off. Boy, was it!!! I have a cheap "O" proform
x-walker, the kind with the moveable arms, which I have never used. It was $350, so...
To calibrate, tape, use chalk, or something to draw a line or mark the belt. Measure the distance around the belt. Zero out the odometer. press start and move it slowly counting the marks as they go by. At exactly .1 mile stop, note the number or revolutions the belt made, and measure any distance further than the mark at stopping.
You should get 6336 inches. If you don't: devide the number you got into 6336. ie you got 6000 inches, 6336/6000=1.056.
What ever distance you run times 1.056 is the real distance. So when your tread mill reads .94 you have run a mile. (in the example here)
Hope this helps!!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
John Elstad

Profile:
Thanks, Dave, for your most helpful reply! I'll test the treadmill tomorrow. I hope it comes out in my favor (i.e., that I ran farther than I thought, not less).
Old 03-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Allan Fisher

Profile:
John's treadmill may or may not be miscalibrated, but there seems to be a more fundamental problem that its measures of time, speed and distance are inconsistent. I would guess that the speed setting is a control input, rather than a measurement, and the actual speed of the belt will vary depending on load, slippage, etc. The distance measurement on this machine apparently is not simply calculated from speed and time, so it probably is a measurement, but likely one that is taken from the drive mechanism rather than the belt itself. Dave's method should work, at least for relatively constant user weight and machine parameters, but for this particular model you probably would have to rely on time and (adjusted) distance and treat the speed display as a suggestion.