CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Re: Confused and frustrated

Ariel:

I have both good news and bad news for you. The good news: you are starting (relatively) young and (therefore) have the rest of your life to get where you want to be. The bad news: you are young and have the entire rest of your life to get where you want to be.

As the father of four daughters (several around your age), I understand. But be patient. You're not a finished product yet. To some of us old farts, you're barely out of the wrapping paper.
But you've started on a great journey. Eat a little more than you think, do a few less metcons and a few more heavy lifts (and then rest as equally easy as how hard you trained). The body adapts during the rest - in response to the training stimulus. Not the other way around.

Good luck.

Dale

Last edited by Dale F. Saran; 05-27-2010 at 11:30 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Cesar H

Profile:

You really need to start thinking about your rest days as part of the training program just as much as the strength or metcon days. I'd say this is especially important if you want to gain muscle mass.
Like the others have said: lift heavy, eat right and then make sure you get lots of rest. Lifting and eating creates the neccesary conditions for growing, but it's when you rest that the body actually has the opportunity to do so.
This should also make you be able to go harder the days you do train, to give you more to capitalize on, on your next rest day.

Stay at it and you will see results. Do remember however that often we're our own worst critics. I'm sure others will see great changes before you do.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Cesar H; 05-28-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel DeNoto View Post
Some of my weights that I know of..
Deadlift: 160#
Clean: 85#
Bench press: 65#
Thruster: 75#
Backsquat: 165#
Front squat: 125#
OH squat: 115#

Sorry for making this 10 centuries long!
The length of your post isn't a problem. But try to break it up make it more readable. The whole ".." thing over and over again makes it harder to read. Remember, easier to read, easier for people to give advice.

Your numbers don't look bad at all. Obviously they have room to grow, but they are pretty respectable, especially for your age and size.

Like everyone said above, get more rest/recovery time, eat better, and have more patience. If your biggest priority is to get stronger, you will have to lift heavy things and get adequate rest. Make sure you have enough calories and nutrients to facilitate muscle growth. And don't forget, building muscle takes time, so just relax and let it happen.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Jason Wallis

Profile:

At your age, I wanted so very badly to be stronger, and to get 'big'. It happens with proper training, nutrition, and rest, as has been discussed here. The hardest part is having the patience to allow it to happen, good things don't come overnight.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:

I do eat very clean..I try my best to eat "paleo" and I have done countless researching on the diet. It's still a little confusing to me, and being in school and such it is hard for me to eat completely paleo, or at the right times. I think the best way to describe my diet would be natural. I don't eat anything that I don't know on the ingredient list, and eat mostly organic. I make sure to add lots of protein at every snack and meal..and try to eat around 4-5x daily.
I like to say I limit my carb intake, because I try to stay away from breads..and get most carbs from fruits. From my understanding thats what paleo is. I do eat bread on rare occasions. (Probably a loaf a year) and that would be like Ezekiel bread. Occasionally my own version of the "egg mcmuffin" sandwhich on ezekiel english muffin for breakfast. (egg whites, turkey bacon, organic 2% cheddar cheese, ezekiel english muffin) If I do eat a grain, it's usually almost always at breakfast.
I'm not completely sure where my calories should be targeted..or what kind of diet I should follow. I want something that will give me the best performance, and I know I should be eating more..but how much more? I don't want to feel like I'm eating as some kind of olympic athlete..because I feel like I don't workout as hard as an elite athlete. Then again I am told by my trainer, that I am training very intensly and can eat like that..
any imput is much appreciated. (Sorry if this should be in the nutrition section of the message board)
Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Eat anything that will hold still long enough. Combining intense training with the fact that you're still growing means that you should not be limiting calories. At all.

Regarding the specific foods you posted:
whole eggs, not egg whites
full fat cheese, not 2%
real bacon, not turkey pseudo-bacon

Katherine
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ariel,

I'll jump on the bandwagon too. I'm at the other end of the CrossFit spectrum. I'm almost 60 and find my life completely changed through CF. I have trouble eating enough to sustain my workouts and also tend to gravitate more toward the Zone diet, since I love my dairy stuff (cheeses, milk, cream with my coffee, and yogurt).

And as one of the previous posts mentioned, log your food intake. Be sure you are getting enough protein and complex carbs each day. If you don't have fuel for your "engine," you are not going to work at your best. And like Katherine said, don't limit your caloric intake, if you are eating well.....if you are following Paleo or even Zone carefully, you can't miss, just eat quality meats, veggies, and fruits.

If you concentrate on one or two "heavy" lifting sessions each week (perhaps at a different time of day than the metcons or other WODs you do) your strength will improve. Dead lifts and squats will help your posterior chain, the press series, thrusters, and Sumo dead lift high pulls will help your upper body.

Body weight workouts (dead hang pull-ups, push-ups, and ring dips) are great strength builders. If you are still developing the pull-ups, etc, scale them and work at them a bit each day - - these can be repeated daily, though at first, you'll be sore for a day or two after......

Hope this info helps.....sorry I got a bit long-winded....
Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

Ariel.... From the look of things you are doing great. Bear in mind that the top performers such as Miranda have also spent YEARS getting to where they are and you are definitely on the right path.

From what I have seen you are showing some very respectable numbers for a girl your age and size. Don't be in too much of a rush to get there because if you keep going the way you're going you'll be there soon enough and we'll be watching videos of you posted on the main page before long. Don't rush it too much or you'll burn out and take longer to reach your goals than is needed.

Don't do too much metcon. For every longer workout do five short heavy ones. Heavy workouts are typically from 75 - 85 % of your max for the lifts you are doing teamed up with high rep bodyweight stuff such as running, jumping rope or box jumps for intensity.

Work in two pure strength days a week to help bring up your numbers or you can follow a strength biased program. If you don't want to design your own, many gyms are running more strength biased workouts and posting them on the web. Miranda's own crossfit801 is a prime example. Crossfitinvictus is another great one to follow.

EAT! If you can't eat enough than eat calorically dense foods so you get more quality for the amount you take in. Unmeasurable Paleo is definitely the way to go as far as I'm concerned. If you tolerate dairy than eat full fat dairy to supplement your calories.

I can't emphasize enough that you are on the right path so be patient. Take everybody's advice and apply it for the next two years and then look back at today. I guarantee that the changes you see over the next to years will amaze you.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:

Thank you to everyone again, and I am glad that I got so many replies to my questions. I've heard everything everyone has said before, but now I guess I know that it is that much more true because everyone is telling me the same thing. Rest, eat, lift, repeat.
Next time I see my trainer I will be asking for our sessions to include pure strength workouts that are heavy, because I can do metcon on my own at home. Hopefully I will see improvements soon
Old 05-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

I dont know if this is against the rules. and if it is I apologize, but I have someone to recommend who I've heard is good at getting people to gain muscle while not getting fat or leaning out. Johnny Pain is his name, and he can be reached through his site : http://greyskullelite.blogspot.com/p...ions_1083.html.