CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:
Confused and frustrated

This is just about my first time writing on the message board, so I'm sorry in advance if I'm a little confusing or unclear.
A little about me..I'm sixteen years old, about 100 pounds, 5'4". I've been crossfiting since April of 09. I'm looking to put on muscle, my ultimate dream and goal is to go to the games and look like the strong women that compete. I know appearance isn't everything, but I REALLY crave the muslce of..and example would be Miranda Oldroyd. She is AMAZING, and thats what I want to make myself.
I'm questioning myself if I am doing anything right..I try to train on a 3 on 1 off schedule, sometimes this works, other times my schedule doesn't allow me to follow this..so when it doesn't work I usually end up doing something like 5 or 6 days on with one day of rest in a week.
I train crossfit with a trainer twice a week, and the rest of the workouts I am left to do on my own. I don't see any gain in strength or muscle development in myself, and am getting very frustrated. My trainer tells me I need more rest and better nutrition..and I know that I do sometimes struggle with those two concepts. If I don't workout, I feel lazy and awful..I tend to do lots of metcon because thats the only time I "feel" like I'm getting a workout..and quite honestly I don't know how to strength train correctly. My trainer and I are working on that, where every session with him is stength..so I hope this should help on that.
Basically I want to know what the heck I can do to see a change! I want muscle! I hate hearing that I'm skinny. Yes, some people do notice my arms or legs and say I have "crazy" muscle..but it's no where near where I want/need to be.
My weights for exercises are nothing noteworthy..I just want the "wow" factor that I see in girls like Miranda.
Sorry this is so long..but I'm extremely frustrated and want any advice I can get.

Some of my weights that I know of..
Deadlift: 160#
Clean: 85#
Bench press: 65#
Thruster: 75#
Backsquat: 165#
Front squat: 125#
OH squat: 115#

(Note that those weights may not be right..just what I think they are. Also note that with very few of those exercises have I tried to reach a PR. Just the weights that I know I can do..don't know if they would be more or less.)

Sorry for making this 10 centuries long!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Confused and frustrated

If muscle is your main priority you might want to try SS or start doing crossfit strength bias combined with more food.

Theres also the crossfit wichita falls program: http://www.70sbig.com/?p=999

Last edited by Kevin Shaughnessy; 05-26-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You're overhead squatting 115lbs as a 100lb 16 year old girl? That's more than respectable, seeing how I know plenty of 150ish pound grown men that can't OHS that much.

Keep doing the strength work. You're not going to build muscle mass doing metcons so cut back on volume if your goal is to add mass.. Lift heavy, get plenty of rest, eat good food in large quantities, repeat 100x. No need to overcomplicate things. If you're doing strength work and not seeing progress then it's likely you're not resting enough to adapt to that stress.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

You have to understand that what you 'feel' and what are really happening are two very different things. Running yourself into the ground with repetitive effort work may 'feel' like you have trained really hard, but it isn't going to give you the adaptation you are looking for.

If you want to look the part you need to add muscle. Plain and simple. There is NO other way.

You need to focus on some power-bodybuilding training and increasing your caloric intake to add some lean mass. You can then CF your brains out with metcons and so on to chisel the increased mass into the lean and mean frame you seek.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Also, at 16 years your body is still growing in all sorts of ways, not all of them to do with muscle mass... Be patient, build your skills base, work on your form, get good coaching in the Olympic lifts and the "slow" lifts, in a couple years you will be a beast!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Troy Becker

Profile:

At 16 you are quite likely magnifying what you don't have or what you think is wrong with you, or whatever, by about 500-1000%. I bet it's not really that bad.

If you want lots of strength though, take a little time to do a Starting Strength program, with maybe, maaaybe one MetCon a week. (Over training sucks, don't do it). Or, check out CrossFit Football.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Patience grasshopper.

I can't OHS 115.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Ariel DeNoto

Profile:
Smile Re: Confused and frustrated

Thanks for everyones imput..and I had a feeling that I was going to get the answers that I got. I guess everyone who is telling me I don't rest or eat enough is right..thats just something I need to work on, because I feel like I do eat enough and alot because I'm full all the time, but I'll just have to learn how to adjust my diet to something substantial and something that I can handle.
Thanks for all the positive input, and I'm looking forward to my Crossfit Level 1 Certification seminar in July!
I'm hoping to make crossfit a career of mine. I just have a huge passion for nutrition and fitness..and crossfit is the ultimate of both!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You could stand to gain 20 pounds and still wouldn't be overweight. If you're eating real food, it will be difficult bordering on impossible for you to eat "too much." If you're concerned, try logging what you eat for a few days.

Katherine
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I find that the best way to know if I am eating "right" is to look at what I am about to eat and say: "If I kept eating as much as I could of this, would I get full, or would I feel sick first?" If the answer is the former, then its all good, if the latter, then reconsider putting it in your mouth!

Example:
Steamed fish and broccoli with sweet potato wedges. (How much of this can you possibly eat? You will be full before it harms you.)
vs
Macaroni and cheese with diet Coke and ice cream. (You can get full on this, but you will feel sick!)