CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20
Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
My question...and I don't know the answer...is what are "trans fats" going to be replaced with?? (cause they have to be replaced with something??) I've seen palm oil? While techinically not a trans fat....is it really any more of a benefit or are there going to be more wrongful sideaffects we will find about in years to come??

When it comes down to it...of course we should not be eating bakery, processed foods and the like...unfortunately the general public may stop seeing them as unhealthy if there are no trans fats...we almost need unhealthy fats to scare people away from eating the wrong foods! Sad..sad.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Hopefully the trans fats will be replaced with saturated animal/tropical fats, the very thing that the trans fats replaced. Then, hopefully the poly's will be outlawed and replaced with more stable saturated animal/tropical fats for frying to reduce the oxidation.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
I saw that a can of Pinapple Juice was indicated to have "No Trans Fats"....I thought this was odd.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Guess they'll have to ban the naturally-occuring trans fats in beef then...oh well. I never liked eating the foods God intended us to anyway...

Funny coincidence, back to that whole E.coli thing, that the most alkaline, mineral-rich vegetable (spinach) is the one taking the most heat, ever.

Pretty soon we won't be allowed any fats other than in our "Matrix-style" gruel...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Garrett the article was referring to the banning partially hydrogenated oils which is step in the right direction. Should be followed by high fructose corn syrup. Both modern "foods" we could do with out. I find it amusing that we bash the government when they do nothing and then bash them further when they try and make a change.

Labelling for trans fat, removing them from food, The School dinners campaign http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...ers/index.html in the UK all small positive steps.

Regarding the E.coli break out, there was a real issue, it's been addressed http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/spinach.asp I don't see it as been an over reaction, the press will over react as always.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
How do you make a donut healthier?

Banning trans fats is more the PC thing for NYC to do....more a PR thing to say they are cleaning up their act. FDA regulates that manufactureres have to disclose the amount of trans fats in products in I think 2007, so most everyone is going to phase them out anyways if they plan on selling their products.

Either way...while may seem like a benefit now, still doesnt solve the long term issues of obesity just cause people will think their potato chips are now healthy.

Hmmm...latest news...safe donuts...dangerous spinach...yeah that's not good...
Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ger,
With new labeling laws combined with the general intelligence level of the public, people won't ever know the difference.

About 10% of the fat in TJ's grassfed ground beef is natural trans fat. How many people are going to figure that one out (that one type is OK, and the others are not)?

They'll probably just replace the trans fat foods with sugary ones.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Where did you get that from Garrett?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Neal,
Back when I first looked at the label of my ground beef, I figured it must be normal/natural, and then I did some research, this was from a quick Google search of "ruminant trans fat"...this has been discussed on this board previously as well...

http://www.tfx.org.uk/page62.html

In conclusion, by eating meat and dairy products, you will be eating naturally-occurring trans fatty acids. But population studies do not indicate that these particular trans isomers are significantly harmful, at least in the quantities and proportions in which they naturally occur in animal products. Also, among these natural trans fatty acids, there may be trans isomers present - such as CLA - which are positively beneficial to health.

Hey, I just learned something new--CLA is a "trans fat"!!! Now just try explaining that to the general public who likes their issues black and white--as in "trans fats are all bad"...