CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
John Khanjian

Profile:
What to Expect at Level 1 Cert

Hey Guys and Girls,

Been in the game about 2 years now. Getting my Cert at the end of the month. I've heard bits and pieces about it but thought I'd post up here, plus just looking to get into the forum anyway...

so...
Whats the schedule like?
Anything specific I should make sure to bring (outside the obvious in the WOD bag)

Thanks!

*Train Harder*
Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: What to Expect at Level 1 Cert

It's a pretty even mix of lectures and group drills with a PVC.

Bring snacks if you like to eat between meals. That was the big thing for me to remember. And dress in layers obviously, you will be going between sitting in what could be relatively cold and moving around.

If you like to wear lifting shoes in certain workouts, might as well bring them - you will most likely be doing thrusters at some point. Just don't be like some of the people at mine and change into them for every group drill session - one guy wore them for the deadlift portion and got singled out for his knees being way too far forward. Figures. But that's neither here nor there.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
John Khanjian

Profile:

cool, thanks man

pretty obvious stuff i guess snacks are essential lol

from what I've heard its a positive experience, a little bit of work but everyone WANTS to be there, and we're kinda nuts anyway haha
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Khanjian View Post
cool, thanks man

pretty obvious stuff i guess snacks are essential lol

from what I've heard its a positive experience, a little bit of work but everyone WANTS to be there, and we're kinda nuts anyway haha
Yeah. It was a pretty good experience. I was kind of cautious going in since my experience with CF coaches has been pretty much 50/50 overzealous CF/open to broad fitness, but the stuff they taught was very much stressing that there are different ways to go about things and not just "do this and only this."

I will say, if you want to get the most out of it, either be somebody that moves a little "off" (you will get 1-on-1 time in the group work if they notice you), or make an effort to chat up the redshirts beforehand or on break time. I think too many people just listened and went through the motions. It's your $1000, might as well get all the bang for your buck you can!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
John Khanjian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Yeah. It was a pretty good experience. I was kind of cautious going in since my experience with CF coaches has been pretty much 50/50 overzealous CF/open to broad fitness, but the stuff they taught was very much stressing that there are different ways to go about things and not just "do this and only this."

I will say, if you want to get the most out of it, either be somebody that moves a little "off" (you will get 1-on-1 time in the group work if they notice you), or make an effort to chat up the redshirts beforehand or on break time. I think too many people just listened and went through the motions. It's your $1000, might as well get all the bang for your buck you can!

nice yeah i'm no pro on the movements haha i know what things should look like, doesnt mean i've actually honed them myself yet haha

and definitely will look to connect with the "RedShirts"
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

I just did mine 2 weeks ago and found the entire experience to be fantastic. I learned a lot more than i thought i would and our L1 coaches were all top notch and really knew their stuff (not surprising since one of them was Russell Berger).

some additional comments:

1) yes, snacks are a good idea as well as something for after the workouts. we did 2 workouts and both were pretty intense.
2) pay very close attention to everything the coaches say. While they do go over a lot of the stuff that you have in your guide, its the additional comments and advice that i found truly helpful.
3) enjoy it!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
John Khanjian

Profile:

niice Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

You will love it. In addition to what others have said, read the materials, including the study guide (gives an outline of the test topic areas). Have fun and pay attention. Consider bringing your lunch as well. Sometimes it can be challenging to run out for lunch in an area that you are not familiar with. Also, the staff usually trains at lunch which can be cool to watch. Let us know what you think when you are done!

Good luck!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

The test is not a gimme. It's not terribly difficult but depending on your test taking skills, it could trip you up.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #10
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
The test is not a gimme. It's not terribly difficult but depending on your test taking skills, it could trip you up.
i agree with this. i HATE tests with passion and while i did pass it, i found some of the questions to be a bit tricky so pay really close attention to the wording of the question.