CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Eddie Odom

Profile:
sudden hip and lumbar tightness

I've been CrossFitting for about eight months now. Before CF, I was in decent shape, training with barbells, sandbags, kettlebells and running. All of a sudden, approx two weeks ago, my hips and lower back became very sore. Since starting CF I have had more frequent DOMS than ever before but this is different. Hips and lower back are very tight. I can't even bend over to tie my shoes. I haven't had any problems before now, it was very sudden. There hasn't been a sudden increase in my intensity level. I can't link it to a specific WOD or strength day. It's like I just woke up like this one morning and can't shake it. I took about five days off initially and it felt much better but the morning after my first workout back it was back in full force. My strength routine has been out of the question. I bend over to put on pants without pain so deadlifts, back squats, etc are out of the question.
I can't link it to a specific muscle either. Its like everything in my hips and lumbar region has tightened up. And its onset was very sudden. I've tried static stretching with no relief. I've also tried to work the trigger points in the area with a lacrosse ball. Usually, if I have problems with a muscle being tight the trigger point Rx works great. With this particular problem the trigger point therapy provides immediate relief but every time I've done it, I wake up the next morning even tighter and more painful than when I don't work the triggers.

I'm sorry for the long post but I have tried everything I can think of, rest, stretching, mobility work, heat, ice, NSAIDs. Nothing is working. Any advice that y'all can offer is much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: sudden hip and lumbar tightness

stretch, roll out, massage, chiropractor, medical doctor......all or combination of
Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Don't mess around with this. I had off and on low back tightness the past two years but always was able to work it out with rest, stretching, ice and mobility. This last time, it would not shake, I became impatient and blew out my L4/5 disc and am now facing a long road to recovery.

Go get checked out. The pain in your hips could be coming from a nerve being impinged. My low back does not hurt much at all but my left leg was a mess. Getting better but still not 100% strength levels, numbness at shin and muscle atrophy at my quads.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Eddie Odom

Profile:

Thanks y'all. Will get it checked out if it doesn't resolve by Tues.