CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Siddharth Singh

Profile:
Benchmark time for WODs

Not to take the previous thread, but I have the same question.
I complete Fran in about 10:30. Does that mean I have to scale down? It felt amazing after completing it though.
Also is there any link where I can look at the benchmark time for all the named WODs?

Is it advisable to work legs about 4-5 times per week? It comprises of 2 days of strength (Monday - FS, Friday -BS). Rest can be Squat cleans, overhead squats etc.
My schedule is 3/1/3/1
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
Re: Benchmark time for WODs

Its my understanding that fran should be completed under 8 minutes. If you cant do that then you need to scale. That being said when i started i did it in 12 min+ but i did it Rx and without kipping and without knowing about how/when to scale. I used that as my own personal benchmark. The next time i did adding kipping and not scaling i did it in a hair over 8 minutes. I know it supposed to be a sprint but i use it to test my own progression in strength and explosiveness. I still do the moves explosively and with good form, just longer rests in between especially during the round of 15. Im thinking next time i pull the fran card, ill be under 7 minutes. or thats my goal anyway.

As for your leg day question, this is my own personal schedule, but i do something with legs almost everyday. I feel thats where my power is generated so i want them to work. Even on rest days i ride my bike for a bit to stay loose and on heavy upper body days i add in jumping rope (not DU's).
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Christopher Walls

Profile:

You completed a full RX'd Fran in about 10:30.

Do you have to scale down? No.

Can you? Yes.

How do I scale Fran?

Option 1: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....wthread/14655/

Option 2: Scale the weight from 95# to just the bar and do the WOD

Option 3: Scale the reps by total to certain percentage; Ex: RX: (21-15-9) or 45 to or (11-8-5) or 24 --- 24 is 53.41% of 45

Option 4: Scale the weight, reps and do a progression of Pull Ups (Assisted)

There is NO OFFICIAL CrossFit benchmark times. Although some boxes have them.

Here is an example of option(s) 3, 4. This is my personal scaling of Fran. Red = RX, Green = Scaled.

"Fran"

21-15-9 11-8-5
Thruster 95# 75#
Pull Ups BW 90# (Assisted)

Time: 3:40

There are plenty of options to scaling. You just have to find what works for you.

Last edited by Christopher Walls : 08-01-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddharth Singh View Post
I complete Fran in about 10:30. Does that mean I have to scale down? It felt amazing after completing it though.
This might be the first time I've ever heard someone say the felt amazing after completing their first fran.... I wasn't sure I was going to live after my first fran, same time as yours too.