CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: Trap Bar DeadLift Form

Curious why you do the sets of 3 and 2 before the set of 5, using the heaviest weight?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
James C. Ryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Curious why you do the sets of 3 and 2 before the set of 5, using the heaviest weight?
Link --:> http://corw.in/warmup/

I use the above Warm Up Set Calculator.

The first 5 sets (The Warmup) are done without rest, just the changing of the weights on the bar.
Yes the first and second set have the same weight. So you just wait 15-20sec.

Then after the 5th set after you get the weight on the bar and ready for the 6th set.
You get a 2 to 5 min rest. Most time a 2 min rest and never more than 5min.

You don't want to wait too little or you will not have recovered and your do not want to wait too long or you will have lost the warmup.

If your doing somthing like standing military press for instance. After the 5th set you can feel the heat in the target muscles. You can feel other muscles and they are cold, but you feel your sholders and they have warmed up.

(Try this next time your training, feel the target muscle group and see if you can feel it has warmup up compared to other muscles.)

It is a way of incorporating warm up to targeted muscle groups in your training exercises to help prevent injury.

I also feel since the first 5 sets are done with little rest this is like a large volume of reps that is typical of bodybuilding type training.
The last 6th set is the Strength training portion of the sets.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
James C. Ryman

Profile:

Updated with todayís 04/27/92 Trap Bar DeadLifts.

Only rest is changing weights and turning on/off camera.
177X5
177X5
199X5
221X3
243X2
2Min-Rest get drink of water
265X5
Link :> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ns27hxp76muis4n/Paz6NginYU
(Safe for work/home/family)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Keep up the progess. From the side view it looks like you are still getting pulled forward. Really drive from the heels. Also you are bending your knees at the same time as your hips and this might be why you are going a little forward. Try to get the hips to bend and back more before you let the knees bend. Maybe even try and exaggerated version to see how different it is, where you stick your butt back as far as you can and bend at the hips before letting the knees do anything.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
James C. Ryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Keep up the progess. From the side view it looks like you are still getting pulled forward. Really drive from the heels. Also you are bending your knees at the same time as your hips and this might be why you are going a little forward. Try to get the hips to bend and back more before you let the knees bend. Maybe even try and exaggerated version to see how different it is, where you stick your butt back as far as you can and bend at the hips before letting the knees do anything.
The standing face against the wall doing body weight squats has really helped. The first set of these each day can be quite a stretch, as I'm still kind of rehabbing and also I don't think I was all that mobile in this area period. I'm not thinking about bending over to grasp the bar. It's just squat straight down. Can't believe what a difference this has made. Still a long was to go.

I will try as you said and work on sticking out my butt some during my daily 6 sets of 5 reps of body weight squats spread out over the day & next Saturday with the DeadLift.

I think Iím going to need to drop the weight down based on the working set.(The 265X5) Not because Iím a woose, that it was really heavy, really hard & I felt like I could have puked afterwards, thought about ending workout after this lift. Did not, recovered and did rest of Saturdayís workout, can't screw up my stats.

But because of what you said and I felt there was slop form creeping back in. I believe some rounding again, not as severe as prior. But I'm suppose to still be working on form, not trying to win a power lifting DeadLift. (Not that theres any thing wrong with people that do that.) I may be getting ahead of myself as far as the weight spread Iím at.

I'm considering dropping from the current of sets from:
5 x 177 44, 22
5 x 177 44, 22
5 x 199 44, 33
3 x 221 44, 44
2 x 243 44, 44, 11
5 x 265 44, 44, 22

Down 22lbs to this spread.
5 x 155 44, 11
5 x 155 44, 11
5 x 177 44, 22
3 x 199 44, 33
2 x 221 44, 44
5 x 243 44, 44, 11

I'm recovering from the lift. But just don't want to hurt myself and I really felt I was really exerting myself and can not think about form when doing that.

If you wonder about the odd weights its because my Vintage Weider International Plates are in kilograms.
These things could be older than me or at least made when I was a kid. Now thats old!!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
James C. Ryman

Profile:

Quote:
Maybe even try and exaggerated version to see how different it is, where you stick your butt back as far as you can and bend at the hips before letting the knees do anything.
5 x 155
5 x 155
5 x 177
3 x 199
2 x 221
2Min-Rest get drink of water
5 x 243
Link :> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ns27hxp76muis4n/Paz6NginYU
(Safe for work/home/family)

Well Iíve been practicing an exaggerated version sticking out my butt when I do my body weight squats with my face a few inches away from the wall.

Tell me if my exaggerated version sticking out my butt during these lifts has improved my form or if Iíve made everything worse.

The lifts were defiantly more difficult even with less weight, which usually is a good indicator that form is improving. But not always.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I like these much better. The only thing that seems off is that it looks like you are pulling with bent arms. You want all the slack out of your arms, when it gets really heavy you don't want biceps tension.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
James C. Ryman

Profile:

Quote:
I like these much better. The only thing that seems off is that it looks like you are pulling with bent arms. You want all the slack out of your arms, when it gets really heavy you don't want biceps tension.
When watching these I also saw that. I think possibly some of it is me bending my arms around my legs, I do have my feet further apart since I tried the exaggerated version sticking out my butt.
Donít want to continue this at all, end up ripping a bicep. I have to get this stopped!!

I also see that progressively with each set(as I get more tired) Iím not squatting down as far.

Iíll continue practicing the exaggerated version of sticking out my butt while I do my body weight squats with my face a few inches away from the wall each day.
But I will bring in my feet in a little so I can have my arms hang straight down.

Somebody advised me once:
"Bum down/Head up/Arms like chains, the weight goes up then back down."

Next weeks Trap Bar Dead Lifts Iíll continue the exaggerated version of sticking out my butt and try to squat down all the way and touch my butt against the back bar each rep and re-set before lifting again.

Thanks for all the help!!