CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #81
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Good, ok, net question. What is you goal with the pullups? What do you want to be able to do. Think short term goal and long term goal.

short term goal. I would like to add 3 more pullups to my total to my 65 rep daily count.

long term goal, knock out 10 reps in a row like a champ.

You get the idea.

This will help us know how to coach you in your daily efforts.
OK, sucked me back in.

While I agree with Nik that you need to have those goals quantified, I think your long term goal has to go past pullups. In your mind, what is a better ability to do pullups going to lead you to?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #82
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, sucked me back in.

While I agree with Nik that you need to have those goals quantified, I think your long term goal has to go past pullups. In your mind, what is a better ability to do pullups going to lead you to?
Run fast. Hopefully, look prettier.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #83
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
OK. In that case, pullups are a good start, but they are not going to be the main drivers of either of those goals. They should end up being something almost auxiliary. Out of curiousity, where are you now with your times running-wise? Do you run competitively or "for fun," as it were? As for the looks, that's going to start with diet, and its going to end with lifting heavy things.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #84
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
So you've been having your life revolve around pullups and two hour treadmill sessions based on a desire to run faster? Seriously, you don't see the disconnect here?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #85
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Spend some time reading some of the information on the boards, Hamzi. No matter how much you run or do pull ups, your body won't look much better if you binge on waffles and nutella.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #86
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

if you want to run faster and look better then do this:

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ WFS

do this, and only this. do it as it says to do it. rest when it says rest. eat what it says to eat. do this for one year. the rest will take care of itself. report back in a year and share awesome results. ok, see you in a year. oh, and you're welcome.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #87
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Gotta extend that grace, that is what makes this community so good, we all want to help each other as best we can.
I totally agree and I didn't mean anything negative or mean by it. Some of the replies just seemed so far out in the beginning it almost came off as just messing with people.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #88
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Oh man... I have tears running down my face and my diaphragm muscles are cramping up... haven't laughed this hard in a month of Mondays.

Thank you Hazmi, you are an artist!

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 02-22-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: edit: I want to go to Adult high school fo sho!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #89
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, sucked me back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
So you've been having your life revolve around pullups and two hour treadmill sessions based on a desire to run faster? Seriously, you don't see the disconnect here?
It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #90
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.
OK, here's the problem: You ask for help, and then act defensive when people try to give you help!

Here's the disconnect: Pullups are not going to make you better at running - and by running, I assume you mean sprinting. Period. There is little to no correlation there. Walking is not going to make you better at sprinting. Period. You don't want to be a scrawny bas**** to be a good sprinter, you have no power then.

You know what's going to make you better at sprinting? Sprinting. Sprinting while pushing a loaded sled. Strengthening your body by lifting heavy things. Harry Aikines-Aryeetey is a sprinter, and he may do a lot of pullups. Do you notice he is also 5'11" and 210 lbs? How do you think he got that way??

I'm going to ask again: Where are you right now in terms of running times? I'm guessing if you don't understand training for your goals, you may need a wakeup call as to what running "fast" actually is.