CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #31
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shortt View Post
Are you having a post-workout shake? I've had good results from a water, protein and dextrose shake. The insulin spike is noticeable..

I think if you are going to be eating very dirty, then you need to have a fair bit of muscle mass and have trained heavy, for it to work.
Post workout, I have protein and creatine.

This only really works if you are doing a true strength program.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #32
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

i've been doing a shake with 2 &1/2 cups Almond Milk. I think I remember reading that if you workout earlier than the optimal time, you can take up to 30-40g carbs. I figured this is ok, especially if I end up going back to do some spinning or a metcon. - My $.02
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
Paulo Santos

Profile:

What time during the day are you guys working out? I'm working out strictly in the morning. I would liketo change it up to the afternoon, but I don't think that will be possible until next year.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

during the week its normally around 1:30/2:30-3:00/4:00, weekends are a crap shoot I just like to be done by 4 (if only 1 WOD) so that I have time to take a PWO and get hungry again for dinner (7-7:30)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #35
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Post workout, I have protein and creatine.

This only really works if you are doing a true strength program.
CBL is designed for a strength program. To say you can't have a post workout shake with glucose because you aren't lifting heavy enough, means you can't use any of the CBL principles. The post heavy workout insulin spike with a fast acting protein to maximise the glut4 translocation is the core of the theory. Anything else and you're just doing crossfit and playing around with your carb intake..
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #36
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shortt View Post
CBL is designed for a strength program. To say you can't have a post workout shake with glucose because you aren't lifting heavy enough, means you can't use any of the CBL principles. The post heavy workout insulin spike with a fast acting protein to maximise the glut4 translocation is the core of the theory. Anything else and you're just doing crossfit and playing around with your carb intake..
I meant to say that you should only do carb back-loading if you are doing a strength program. I wasn't talking about the post workout drink.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I have a few more days left on the prep phase. I have maintained my weight and I'm feeling good. I'm excited to start the back-loading and do it as prescribed and see how it goes. Once I start, I'll eat like the prep phase on the off days and really hit it hard on the back-load days.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
Craig Osip

Profile:

I am doing the Paleo diet myself on a strength program with two Crossfit sessions thrown in, in a 8 day program. I do 2days strength then one day of Crossfit doing wods and what not, Then a day of

With my Paleo diet, I am fairly strict and i am also sticking to the under 30grams of carbs for the back loading principals. However being a builder and have a very physical job I have found that it can't really survive on 30grams by the end of the day. So i do add a little more carbs into my diet. I'm not taking a lot, just with my meals I have at work I might have some fruit.

I have found this works perfect for me and just am feeling unreal. Last night was a back loading night and it woke up this morning feeling refreshed and flatter and more toned. It's truly amazing how it all works. It's still hard thinking what I put into my body last night haha. But the results speak for itself. Don't think I was eating pure crap. I just had a lot of potato, fruit, peanut butter, porridge and cereal.

As we all know reading on this forum (and i have been a big reader the past couple weeks, and that's why I signed up) everyone is different and everyone will find out what will work best for them.

Really looking forward to learning more from this site and adding any input I can.

Craig
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #39
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Hey Craig, keep us update. I'm actually on the same workout schedule as you. So far, I have no problems with 30 GR of carbs. I do take some fiber supplements because I don't feel that I'm getting enough fiber by just eating vegetables.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #40
Craig Osip

Profile:

Will do Paulo. I'm the opposite. Again with my job I find my fiber intake is fine. Mainly because I choose to eat 6 tomes a day and every meal I have vegetables with them. But what kind of vegetables are you eating?