CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #101
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Carter View Post
I plan on getting the book but in the mean time read as much as I can. Does the book mention anything about taking glucose tablets if you are staying paleo and are having a hard time getting in enough carbs?
No, nothing about glucose tablets.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #102
David Meverden

Profile:

Doing this all paleo seems like such a waste of deliciousness. Healthier, I suppose, and I guess it is no harder than just being low carb paleo or ketogenic ALL the time.

BTW, non-paleo people, what do you think. Do we have a winner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwpmbwetD0A (WFS)

That should have about 200g carbohydrates by itself according to CalorieCount (WFS), which rates ice cream sandwiches at a D+ for nutrion, haha.

On another topic, what are your thoughts on complex vs simple carbs? I'm surprised he doesn't discuss different biological effects from sugars and starches. One would assume that rice would have a different effect from a pile of sugar, but Kiefer doesn't seem to care which you take in.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #103
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Doing this all paleo seems like such a waste of deliciousness. Healthier, I suppose, and I guess it is no harder than just being low carb paleo or ketogenic ALL the time.

That should have about 200g carbohydrates by itself according to CalorieCount (WFS), which rates ice cream sandwiches at a D+ for nutrion, haha.

On another topic, what are your thoughts on complex vs simple carbs? I'm surprised he doesn't discuss different biological effects from sugars and starches. One would assume that rice would have a different effect from a pile of sugar, but Kiefer doesn't seem to care which you take in.
That shake looks awesome. I agree with you. If I'm going to back-load, I'm going to eat some delicious food. I'll stick with Paleo on my days off and leading up to the back-loads.

From what I read. Kiefer is more concerned with the quality of the foods. So instead of having some nasty McDonald's hamburgers, he would rather you eat healthier ones, like homemade ones.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #104
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

What is everyone's take on eating eggs? The book advises against eating a bunch of eggs in one sitting because they cause an insulin response when eaten without lots of added fat.

This isn't something I've ever heard before and I can't seem to find anything else that backs this up. Eggs have always been a staple of my previous forays into Low-carb land... Eggs, Bacon, and cheese with some sauteed peppers and onions is my go to meal when I don't have any meat precooked and I'm feeling lazy. I also eat a hardboiled egg with a handful of veggies for a snack a couple times a day. Anyone else cutting out eggs?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #105
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klopfenstein View Post
What is everyone's take on eating eggs? The book advises against eating a bunch of eggs in one sitting because they cause an insulin response when eaten without lots of added fat.

This isn't something I've ever heard before and I can't seem to find anything else that backs this up. Eggs have always been a staple of my previous forays into Low-carb land... Eggs, Bacon, and cheese with some sauteed peppers and onions is my go to meal when I don't have any meat precooked and I'm feeling lazy. I also eat a hardboiled egg with a handful of veggies for a snack a couple times a day. Anyone else cutting out eggs?
I eat 2 hardboiled eggs with nuts for my late morning snack and after ion snack on a regular basis. I don't think it is a big deal unless you are eating a bunch of eggs at one time.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #106
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klopfenstein View Post

I eat my eggs with sausage( three eggs with 4oz sausage). Eggs are a staple in my diet and like Paulo said, I don't thing it's a big deal, unless your eating a mass amount of eggs by themselves.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #107
David Meverden

Profile:

I was at Sam's Club and decided to pick up ice cream sandwiches for that shake. There were "Skinny Cow" ones and "Fat Boy" ones. No joke, those were the actual names. Naturally I picked the Fat Boys, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the Skinny Cow. Both have about 30 grams of sugar but the skinny cow have less fat and thus 30% less calories. Maybe I've been having trouble hitting high carb numbers because my carb choices have too much fat and are too filling. Thoughts?

Tomorrow is stir fry with white rice and pie for dessert, maybe make a 2-3 ice cream sandwich and protein powder shake to wash down the stir fry. Going to try not to get painfully full this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I eat 2 hardboiled eggs with nuts for my late morning snack and after ion snack on a regular basis. I don't think it is a big deal unless you are eating a bunch of eggs at one time.
Yeah, I wouldn't freak out about a couple eggs. Speaking of which, I realized a good snack for this plan the other day: Deviled eggs! Egg, mayo, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Delicious.

Last edited by David Meverden : 12-09-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #108
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:

I think he's kept the sugars in so that the diet is more appealing to people and thus increase sales. My personal thoughts are that fructose isn't going to spike insulin enough, and so isn't ideal. I've heard that the advice he has given to more serious athletes is to carb backload, but cleanly.

I'm surprised people aren't using protein shakes more. I have a water based protein shake with two large scoops of whey and one large scoop of glucose powder within 5 mins of finishing a session, and i find it works really well.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #109
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I was at Sam's Club and decided to pick up ice cream sandwiches for that shake. There were "Skinny Cow" ones and "Fat Boy" ones. No joke, those were the actual names. Naturally I picked the Fat Boys, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the Skinny Cow. Both have about 30 grams of sugar but the skinny cow have less fat and thus 30% less calories. Maybe I've been having trouble hitting high carb numbers because my carb choices have too much fat and are too filling. Thoughts?
I try to save calories whenever I can because I have a hard time eating over 300 grams of carbs. So it is a good idea.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #110
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

My carb backloading has been going pretty well I'd say. In 2.5 weeks I've gone up around 7 pounds or so without much gain to my waist measurement. Honestly, the hardest part is eating enough. It's tough for me to cram down hit my protein AND carb macros in the time from when I finish working out (usually between 4-7 pm) and when I go to sleep around midnight. Kiefer reccomends your first carb meal about 30-60 minutes after your PWO shake, but I have had a hard time with that because after having a shake with protein+maltodextrin I feel pretty full for a while. Any tips on faster absorbing carb supps?

p.s.- if you can't tell I've pretty much anticipate abandoning paleo for a few months, but I have been sticking to pretty clean back loads (i.e. white rice, white potatoes)