CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Trung Nguyen

Profile:
Stall mats vs. Ballistic Tiles for lifting platform

Has anybody used ballistic tiles for lifting platform? And how does it compare to stall mats?

I've seen a lot of places selling ballistic tiles, but can't find any review about using them for lifting platforms. They are used in platforms from Rogue and Sorinex:

Rogue's tiles:http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ru...-24x24x1-5.php (wfs)

Sorinex's versions: http://store.sorinex.com/The-Flop-24...at-p/mat-1.htm (wfs)
Sorinex uses them for this: http://store.sorinex.com/Whisperlink...-p/whisp-r.htm (wfs)

Is the material of these tiles similar to stall mats? If so, how do they compare to 2 layers of stall mats (since the tiles are 1.5" thick, and the mats are often .75" thick)? Any feedback is appreciate, since I have never used or seen these tiles in person.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Adam Molnar

Profile:
Re: Stall mats vs. Ballistic Tiles for lifting platform

I have something like ballistic tiles on my lifting platform. They are basically grinded rubber glued/molded together, but not vulcanized.

They are falling apart after 2 years of moderate useage with bumpers, loosing rubber pieces after every drop.

I will change them to stall mats. Stall mats are vulcanized, much stronger, solid, homogeneous material.

Last edited by Adam Molnar : 11-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Trung Nguyen

Profile:

Thank you Adam, I was not aware that the ballistic tiles are not vulcanized. They look similar to the stall mats, but from what you said, I guess they are closer to the ballistic blocks that Rogue sells, just a lot thinner. If that's the case, they would be a lot more rigid than the stall mats.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Well, I only have experience with rubber tiles made in Hungary, Europe, US made might be different. Stall mats surface is homogeneous while rubber tiles are not, rubber crumbs are visible, and they do crumble.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Trung Nguyen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Molnar View Post
Well, I only have experience with rubber tiles made in Hungary, Europe, US made might be different. Stall mats surface is homogeneous while rubber tiles are not, rubber crumbs are visible, and they do crumble.
I forgot to ask, but do they offer decent protection for your floor? I intend to put them directly on concrete. Also, how is the noise? I've read that these ballistic tiles offer some noise reduction, but I don't know if it's significant. 2 layers of stall mats would be the same thickness as the ballistic tiles but cheaper.

I've also found a manufacturer of these ballistic tiles in Riverside, CA but I don't know if they are willing to sell small quantities (need 12 for a 6x8 platform). I do have a wood/stall mats platform, but it weighs a ton I'd prefer something more portable for outdoor use.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Adam Molnar

Profile:

They provide good protection, I have to use them on tiles. I put 1 layer of plywoods, rubber tiles on top on each side and no damage to the floor.

I have the thickess, which is 5cm (2 inch). Here, they are usually selling 2 different sizes: 50cmx50cm or 100cmx100cm. Thicknes are from 1cm to 5cm.

If it is only for outdoor use, right on concrete-they will do the job, but lifting platform is a much better option if no need to move them. Noise reduction is good, only the bar rattles.

I could only download some similar picture from the web to show you how mine looks like. I bought 1 piece of 100cmx100cm 5cm thick, black. Cut it in half (got 2x 100cmx50cm).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gumilap.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	9984  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber back.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	9985  Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber front.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	9986  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Kenny Yan

Profile:

those look like the interlocking tiles from most commercial gyms. look up your local gym refurbish businesses and they ususally have some from taking over gyms that went out of business. i had some that are 1in thick and they are heavy duty. they do "shed" small rubber over time tho. in your case of the platform, i would use those and border it with alumium sidings screwed together to keep them tight. it would be very easy to dismantle. hth
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Trung Nguyen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Yan View Post
those look like the interlocking tiles from most commercial gyms. look up your local gym refurbish businesses and they ususally have some from taking over gyms that went out of business. i had some that are 1in thick and they are heavy duty. they do "shed" small rubber over time tho. in your case of the platform, i would use those and border it with alumium sidings screwed together to keep them tight. it would be very easy to dismantle. hth
Thanx for the info, my stall mats do "shed" a little, so I don't mind that. I don't think they use these as flooring at the gyms though, mostly for stopping bullets at shooting ranges. Although they're quite heavy (not as heavy as stall mats, but close) I'd probably get a frame to hold them together.