CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Scott Macneill

Profile:
New to Paleo - Carb Question

Hey gang, i'm new to Paleo... just starting to get into it. I've been told by some people that some carbs dont count, such as that from some veggies. I'm trying to lose some weight, i'm about 12.5% fat now, want to get down to 8. I know daily apple says 50-100 carbs, for today i came in under 100 but i'm wondering if i could have added some more. almost 1/2 my carbs came from veggies. Would have loved to add a banana or sweet potato in there.

Here's my day today: http://i.imgur.com/Ov9Py.png

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: New to Paleo - Carb Question

If you want to eat a banana or sweet potato then eat it. There is nothing wrong with eating more carbs. This fourm, along with other forums have created this carb and fruit fear that makes people who don't know any better fear simple foods. I know because at one time I almost believed these food would some how cause me to die in a short amount of time after eating them.

Green leafy veggies don't count as carbs in my book. I eat them all day and they don't support my energy needs for the activity that I put out on a daily basis. I need sweet potato's, potato's, rice, a large and I do mean large amount of fruit, my lara bar habit, bread (Yeah I said it) bread, Steel cut oatmeal and other startchy veggies on a somewhat daily basis.

The trick is knowing when to eat these things to support what your doing, or for recovery etc. You do not need to be under 100 grams of carbs daily to lean out. Everyone is different. In the end, eat fruit, eat startchy things from time to time, enjoy some oatmeal and for goodness sake eat that banana .
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Richard Deyan

Profile:

There's a lot of factors that play into this. How much carbs in grams did you used to eat? I imagine a lot of it was grain based. 12.5% is still relatively lean so you're at a great starting point. The whole fear of the carbs from fruits is the fact that certain fruits contain a large amount of sugars compared to others and they have a high glycemic load. While these are better than most grain foods with just as high of a glycemic load (GL) it still almost defeats the purpose, hence why you will often see people such as Connelly and Sears suggest avoiding tropical fruits often like pineapple and bananas.

People don't count veggies as carbs because most of them simply don't have a lot of crabs for their weight. An entire green pepper or head of broccoli will only have like 8g of carbs. While one banana can have like 30g of carbs.

How much do you weigh? How much and how intense are your workouts? How much fat are you eating? Compared to what you used to eat, you are most likely going to be on a much higher ketogenic diet than you've ever been used to. So you will definitely need to up fat intake, but adipose on your body is going to come off f airly quick, as will weight in general. Like someone else said don't be afraid to throw down a sweet potato. The main thing I would be concerned about is the total GL for the day, keep that low and you're going to get to 8 quickly.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Macneill View Post
Hey gang, i'm new to Paleo... just starting to get into it. I've been told by some people that some carbs dont count, such as that from some veggies. I'm trying to lose some weight, i'm about 12.5% fat now, want to get down to 8. I know daily apple says 50-100 carbs, for today i came in under 100 but i'm wondering if i could have added some more. almost 1/2 my carbs came from veggies. Would have loved to add a banana or sweet potato in there.

Here's my day today: http://i.imgur.com/Ov9Py.png

Thanks!

Getting to 8% bf is going to take a LOT of work and fastidious diet watching/tweaking. Don't expect to get there without performance loss either. You're not going to be able to chase performance while trying to get that lean.

What's your height/weight, what does your training look like, what are your big lift numbers? Your calories and carb intake need to match your training.

That being said, you're doing paleo? Then why the shakes and why the yogurt?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

There are no carbs that don't count, that's just riduclous,. But as you've already found from your comment, it can be difficult to get enough if you are only using certain types of carbs. So like other's said, if you are working out hard, you probably should be on the high end of that carb estimate, meaning you will likely need some more dense carbs to get there, like roots/tubers, squashes, sweet potatoes...
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Scott Macneill

Profile:

Thanks everyone, my predicament is a little different.

Firstly i've been experimenting with my macro ratios, i went a while where i was basically an even split 33% for Protein/Fat/Carbs, had trouble with getting results. Then i tried the traditional 50% / 15%fat / 35% protein for a while. While i felt great (lots of energy) i wasn't seeing results on the scale, and i did battle hunger issues which i assume were the insulin from the high carbs.

I do find when i eat high protein, high fat i'm more satisfied and less snacky throughout the day which is what led me to paleo. I have no real problem eliminating breads / grains.. i actually find it harder to give up legumes but i can suck it up and do it. I loves me sweet potato so that's a bonus.

Regarding my size, back in 2006 i weighed 360lbs and i followed a program where i lost 180lbs. No doubt i lost some muscle, but it was all for the better. With this i had a ton of loose skin that never snapped back, after seeing several doctors and surgeons they said my skin was stretched enough that it wasnt going snap back, so i had to have two surgeries to cut it all up. one on my chest, one around my gut (they cut me 360 degrees). My lowest weight at that point was 175lbs. (i'm 5 foot 11 inches, and am 33 years old now). I've since worked with a trainer and put on about 25lbs, i'm just shy of 200lbs now, floating between 193-197lbs.. he did body fat tests with me and determined i had put on about half of that as muscle and half as fat. As of my last measurement i was carying about 170lbs of lean tissue, and 25lbs of fat.. my BF was about 12.5%. I suspect i'm a little worse off now..

I'm chasing an 8% BF right now because i want to 'tighten up'. Because of my surgeries my midsection skin is still loose and will probably never tighten up. When they did the surgery it was extremely tight, to the point i couldnt even stand up straight but as the skin stretches and adapts it loosens up... but the elasticity is long gone so what stretches out doesnt snap back. I'll probably never get the look i want, but that's what i get for being an idiot throughout my teen/early 20's.

I've never done any max 1RM tests, my workouts are kind of like this
180-200min of cardio per week.

1 Day of chest weights, i do 10sets of 10reps dumbell bench presses, i'm currently up to using two 60lbs dumbells and of the 100 total pushes, i'm averaging about 75.. once i get to 80-85 i'll jump up to 65lbs.

1 Day of shoulders / biceps / triceps. each group is a 6 sets of 6 reps Shoulder press with dumbells, 45lbs, bicep curls 55lbs bar, and 65lbs tricep skull crushers.

1 Day of back, 6 sets of 6 reps.. some pull downs (120lbs), rowes (120lbs) and some free weight back extensions. (i have some bad disc in my low back problems so stuff like deadlifts are really tough for me to do)

I then have 2 days a week of 'bootcamp' style workouts i do with a class. Lots of functional stuff, lots of squats and leg work. My legs are huge already i dont want them any bigger. from carrying around 360lbs i've developped massive legs / calves.

Regarding the yogurt: i thought yogurt was ok for paleo as long as you didnt have a problem with dairy?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Macneill View Post
Thanks everyone, my predicament is a little different.

Firstly i've been experimenting with my macro ratios, i went a while where i was basically an even split 33% for Protein/Fat/Carbs, had trouble with getting results. Then i tried the traditional 50% / 15%fat / 35% protein for a while. While i felt great (lots of energy) i wasn't seeing results on the scale, and i did battle hunger issues which i assume were the insulin from the high carbs.

I do find when i eat high protein, high fat i'm more satisfied and less snacky throughout the day which is what led me to paleo. I have no real problem eliminating breads / grains.. i actually find it harder to give up legumes but i can suck it up and do it. I loves me sweet potato so that's a bonus.

Regarding my size, back in 2006 i weighed 360lbs and i followed a program where i lost 180lbs. No doubt i lost some muscle, but it was all for the better. With this i had a ton of loose skin that never snapped back, after seeing several doctors and surgeons they said my skin was stretched enough that it wasnt going snap back, so i had to have two surgeries to cut it all up. one on my chest, one around my gut (they cut me 360 degrees). My lowest weight at that point was 175lbs. (i'm 5 foot 11 inches, and am 33 years old now). I've since worked with a trainer and put on about 25lbs, i'm just shy of 200lbs now, floating between 193-197lbs.. he did body fat tests with me and determined i had put on about half of that as muscle and half as fat. As of my last measurement i was carying about 170lbs of lean tissue, and 25lbs of fat.. my BF was about 12.5%. I suspect i'm a little worse off now..

I'm chasing an 8% BF right now because i want to 'tighten up'. Because of my surgeries my midsection skin is still loose and will probably never tighten up. When they did the surgery it was extremely tight, to the point i couldnt even stand up straight but as the skin stretches and adapts it loosens up... but the elasticity is long gone so what stretches out doesnt snap back. I'll probably never get the look i want, but that's what i get for being an idiot throughout my teen/early 20's.

I've never done any max 1RM tests, my workouts are kind of like this
180-200min of cardio per week.

1 Day of chest weights, i do 10sets of 10reps dumbell bench presses, i'm currently up to using two 60lbs dumbells and of the 100 total pushes, i'm averaging about 75.. once i get to 80-85 i'll jump up to 65lbs.

1 Day of shoulders / biceps / triceps. each group is a 6 sets of 6 reps Shoulder press with dumbells, 45lbs, bicep curls 55lbs bar, and 65lbs tricep skull crushers.

1 Day of back, 6 sets of 6 reps.. some pull downs (120lbs), rowes (120lbs) and some free weight back extensions. (i have some bad disc in my low back problems so stuff like deadlifts are really tough for me to do)

I then have 2 days a week of 'bootcamp' style workouts i do with a class. Lots of functional stuff, lots of squats and leg work. My legs are huge already i dont want them any bigger. from carrying around 360lbs i've developped massive legs / calves.

Regarding the yogurt: i thought yogurt was ok for paleo as long as you didnt have a problem with dairy?
As I'm sure you've found out, weight loss is not linear by any means. You've already made such massive progress so yes getting down to 8% is going to be much their than someone who was naturally at 12.5% for a long time.

I would certainly continue the paleo macros and diet, ketogenic will certainly help you out still. Your next step might be to try and log what you are eating each day to help keep track.

In terms of the workouts you do, I would start varying the rep range of those exercises. Elaborate a little more on the workouts though, you do 6 sets of each exercise or 6 sets total? What's the "cardio" you speak of? Running? Rowing? Metcon? How intense it it?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

You just need to go on a cut. Track you calories and go on a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb per week. If you use an app like MyFitnessPal, it will tell you how many calories you need to eat.