CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Kent Newland

Profile:
Dropping the deadlift?

So, I was just watching a video on youtube, and this is not meant to pick on anyone in particular, but I was thinking. When I'm lifting, even when going for a max, I always do my best to return the deadlift bar to the ground under my power. I feel like it's not really a good lift if I just drop it, because you're only doing half of the work. Does anyone else feel this way? Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Re: Dropping the deadlift?

Training is training, you can do what you want. Some people may not want to do that half of the work for whatever reason. You also see weightlifters dump their last rep of a set of back squats for no good reason.

On the other hand, when I want to claim a gym lift as a PB, I try to do it as close to competition style as possible. For the deadlift, that would mean no straps, no hitching, no dropping the bar. But if your sport of choice is strongman, for example, you might as well hitch like there's no tomorrow.

What matters is comparing oranges to oranges, both for yourself and with others. As long as everyone's clear on what's involved (clean+jerk by the rules vs ground to overhead anyhow, for example), I don't see a problem.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

I don't like dropping weights, even when I snatch or C&J, I still lower it to the ground
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
David Alexander

Profile:

I don't drop the bar during deadlifts when I am working on strength or doing a WOD. I do sometimes drop it during speed work. The reason I'll drop it when I do speed work, is because I am only concentrating on building speed off the ground.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I like to drive my car straight through my garage wall. After all, I'm practicing my driving not my parking.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
I like to drive my car straight through my garage wall. After all, I'm practicing my driving not my parking.
That is funny. But I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I agree, when I'm trying to set a PR, or going for pure strength work, I lower the barbell to the ground. If I'm just burning through a WOD and the rules don't specify otherwise, typically I will drop it on the last rep of the set.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

In a powerlifting comp (at least in the Fed I'm in, not sure about others), you have to lower the bar to the ground under control. Dropping it will earn you red lights. So, may as well train this way too.

Besides, lowering it with some control is good for your hamstrings.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
That is funny. But I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I agree, when I'm trying to set a PR, or going for pure strength work, I lower the barbell to the ground. If I'm just burning through a WOD and the rules don't specify otherwise, typically I will drop it on the last rep of the set.
I think he might be saying the two things are inseparable. You have to park if you drive and lower the weight when you deadlift. I don't drop it, but I don't waste time getting it back to the ground either.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
John C Corona

Profile:

...another trainer at my affiliate mentioned 'an article he read' saying it being bad for your spine to drop the load. Something about the quick release of tension on the discs. Please, read this loosely, as I have yet to read that anywhere myself...would be nice is anyone else heard about it being 'medically' bad for you, rather than just getting red lights in a meet.

I myself lower almost evertime, knowing it is building strength. As most of yall, I will drop singles now n then.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Eric Shuty

Profile:

As some people have noted, I gripe about it every time some drops a deadlift on a video posted here. It has no point and you are just trying to call attention to yourself and your amaaaaaazing deadlift....