CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #51
Craig Horstman

Profile:
Re: Compression Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
Greg does a pretty good job of addressing this here: (wfs) http://www.spunperformance.com/Searc...s.asp?Cat=1477

However, there seems to be quite a bit of debate about the benefits, or lack there of, in using compression clothing. I can only say it definitely reduces pain/soreness for me and seems to speed my up recovery. Placebo effect? Maybe...but really I could care less as long as I am getting the results I want. This is similar to my feeling on CrossFit...not really interested in debating it so as long as I get results.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #52
Scott A Martin

Profile:

I've never used compression clothing, but at these prices I may be willing to give it a shot. I was under the impression that compression garments designed for recovery differed from those designed for use while exercising. Some other brands separate products into these two categories. Your website doesn't make this distinction and on your benefits page, it seems to suggest that your products are useful for both recovery and active use.

My questions are:

1. Are your products indeed useful for both recovery and active use?
2. If so, why do other brands differentiate? Purely for marketing purposes, or is there any research behind this?

Edit: This is to Greg, not the OP.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #53
Ron Thurston

Profile:

I have the Skins A400 long sleeve shirt and tights. I generally only wear them in colder weather but I have also worn them after really beating myself up at the box (I only do a short metcon once or twice a week, I'm on a strength program right now). They certainly help in recovery, whether it's a placebo effect or not, so I use them when I feel I need to.

The Skins are expensive especially if you wear them all the time (as they can get worn out from things like burpees, if your knees hit the floor a lot or lifting if you have a habit of scraping your shins). They are comfortable though. Mine have held up for well over 6 months now so I don't have any complaints with them. I did wear them almost every night during the Winter.

I'm going to be ordering some gear from Spun Performance and take it for a test ride. I am probably going to grab the socks, shorts and short sleeved shirt. I'll post again once I have them and have worn them for a bunch of workouts. I just have to get my sizing right, haha!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #54
Dante Prinzo

Profile:

Greg,

Just ordered a your short sleeve, can't wait to give it a go. I have a couple pairs of Comp. socks now but, would like to give yours a try (great price) .

My question is, I have 16in calfs and size 13 feet. Med. or Large? Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #55
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Prinzo View Post
Greg,

Just ordered a your short sleeve, can't wait to give it a go. I have a couple pairs of Comp. socks now but, would like to give yours a try (great price) .

My question is, I have 16in calfs and size 13 feet. Med. or Large? Thoughts?
Definitely large. Your foot size is big enough for an XL, but given your calf size I would go L.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #56
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
I've never used compression clothing, but at these prices I may be willing to give it a shot. I was under the impression that compression garments designed for recovery differed from those designed for use while exercising. Some other brands separate products into these two categories. Your website doesn't make this distinction and on your benefits page, it seems to suggest that your products are useful for both recovery and active use.

My questions are:

1. Are your products indeed useful for both recovery and active use?
2. If so, why do other brands differentiate? Purely for marketing purposes, or is there any research behind this?

Edit: This is to Greg, not the OP.
Hi Scott,

1. Yes. The same apparel is useful for both active and recovery. Some of the items on our list of benefits are "active" benefits, while others are "recovery" benefits. Both can be obtained from the same piece of clothing from us or Skins or 2XU, etc. even though some of our competitors do offer a "recovery" specific line. And to lead into #2
2. As far as I can tell, the differentiation mainly relates to comfort. I suspect there is somewhat of a "marketing" focus on this as well, but Skins and 2XU both make products that I respect greatly and I think they do a great job in their respective niches. However, the level of differentiation between the active and recovery lines are so minor that I personally don't think it is worth the extra money and for that same reason we decided not to make two different lines. Maybe we will down the line, if there is a demand for it, but who knows.

For the person out there that can afford to have a half dozen pairs of every line that Skins makes, maybe it is worth the extra money..... but they probably aren't looking at clothing from my budget compression apparel company anyway....

I've worn both the active and recovery from a few competitors and I couldn't really tell much of a difference besides the fact that the recovery stuff was a little bit looser (more relaxed fit for lack of a better word). It makes sense as it is meant to be worn for a longer period of time than most of the active stuff (unless someone is wearing the active stuff for a full marathon or a long triathlon or something). I tried going one size larger on the active stuff to see how that compared to the fit of my correct size in the recovery line. The one size larger in the active was looser than the correct size in the recovery line, so it was almost like the recovery line was a half size looser than the active.

Sorry for the rambling.... Hope this helps to let you know where we are coming from with our product offering.

Thanks for the questions.

[EDIT: I forgot to mention, the Recovery stuff from Skins did seem more comfortable for just lounging around in them. Not sure if it was due to it being a little looser or slightly different stitching patterns. That being said, the active stuff was not uncomfortable to lounge in, just slightly different.]

Last edited by Greg Light : 04-26-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #57
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Thurston View Post
I have the Skins A400 long sleeve shirt and tights. I generally only wear them in colder weather but I have also worn them after really beating myself up at the box (I only do a short metcon once or twice a week, I'm on a strength program right now). They certainly help in recovery, whether it's a placebo effect or not, so I use them when I feel I need to.

The Skins are expensive especially if you wear them all the time (as they can get worn out from things like burpees, if your knees hit the floor a lot or lifting if you have a habit of scraping your shins). They are comfortable though. Mine have held up for well over 6 months now so I don't have any complaints with them. I did wear them almost every night during the Winter.

I'm going to be ordering some gear from Spun Performance and take it for a test ride. I am probably going to grab the socks, shorts and short sleeved shirt. I'll post again once I have them and have worn them for a bunch of workouts. I just have to get my sizing right, haha!
Thanks Ron. I'll be curious to hear what you think about how our stuff stacks up vs your Skins stuff. If you have any questions on sizing, please feel free to send me a PM on here or an email to technical@spunperformance.com
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #58
Ron Thurston

Profile:

I ordered the short sleeve top, the shorts and a pair of socks.

I believe my Skins gear is a Large so I ordered the same from you. Looking forward to trying them out. Assuming they are of equivalent quality and durability, I'll be ordering stuff for my wife and daughter as well.

After I give them a go, again assuming they are equivalent quality, I'll definitely pass the word around the box and on our FB site. With about 200 members, you're sure to get a few new customers there, especially with the current pricing.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #59
Dante Prinzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Definitely large. Your foot size is big enough for an XL, but given your calf size I would go L.
Just ordered, thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #60
Peter Villa

Profile:

Not sure if you've ever heard of it - I use Swiftwick brand socks and sleeves. They're huge for cycling, but they're crossing the line into CF. Rogue is already carrying their long compression socks. They're pretty sweet.