CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Keyavash Hemyari

Profile:
Wendler and appropriate WODs

I just finished week 2 of Wendlers and need help finding appropriate WODs for my supplemental lift section.

For example, on Bench day today, after doing 145x3,165x3,185x9 reps; I chose to do Lynne @5x 115x10, 5xmax pullups. (I don't weigh 115, I weigh 157~, but chose to lower the weight bc Lynne calls for BW bench press and that goes against Wendler.)

This was simple. Same thing with Deadlifts, I chose this WOD:

Three rounds for time of:
135 pound Overhead squat, 10 reps
50 Double-unders

But switched the OHS to Deadlifts.

After a while though, its hard to keep the WODs varying. Anyone have WODs that tie in or can be changed to become the supplement lifts but have that metcon aspect? I forgot who, but I follow the 4 days lifting with 4 MetConish WODs that was mentioned; except on my Clean days I do both Clean and Push Press and the Wendler Supplemental lifts.

Last question, do you update your Wendlers sheet each week? IE) When I started, I could get 225x2 so I put that. But, if i put in 185x9, the weight increases, but that is my max now. So what's the deal?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Wendler and appropriate WODs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyavash Hemyari View Post
Last question, do you update your Wendlers sheet each week? IE) When I started, I could get 225x2 so I put that. But, if i put in 185x9, the weight increases, but that is my max now. So what's the deal?
No. Presumably you knew your 1rm when you began. Lets say it was 240 for example. Write 240 x 90% on your sheet gives 216. The weights you lift on the program are based on 216, eg first week is 65% (of 216) x 5 reps, 75% (of 216) x 5 reps, 85% (of 216) x 5+ reps. Second, third and fourth week also have reps and percentages that are based off that 216 figure.

For the 2nd month, you write 226 on your sheet. First through 4th week of this month follow the same pattern of reps and percentages, this calculated from 226. Get it?

It's pretty slow and steady, but that makes it fairly easy to progress through your previous maxes like they're nothin'
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Keyavash Hemyari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
No. Presumably you knew your 1rm when you began. Lets say it was 240 for example. Write 240 x 90% on your sheet gives 216. The weights you lift on the program are based on 216, eg first week is 65% (of 216) x 5 reps, 75% (of 216) x 5 reps, 85% (of 216) x 5+ reps. Second, third and fourth week also have reps and percentages that are based off that 216 figure.

For the 2nd month, you write 226 on your sheet. First through 4th week of this month follow the same pattern of reps and percentages, this calculated from 226. Get it?

It's pretty slow and steady, but that makes it fairly easy to progress through your previous maxes like they're nothin'
Thanks! I'll post in 2 weeks regarding numbers after I finish out weeks 3 and 4. What do you think about the Supplemental WODs?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

Last I remember, one of the big aspects of success with Wendlers 5/3/1 is the +set. The set where its 5+, 3+, 1+. Early on the weights are light enough that its not a massive issue but as you go on - and the point is to maintain progress for a length of time (it isn't a get strong in 3 quick weeks thing).

From experience, if you have anything left to do the main lift again in a WoD, you aren't pushing that final 5+,. 3+, 1+ set hard enough and therefore, not getting all you can from Wendler's design.

When I'm on 225 for my 3+ set, when I rack that bar, I'm done. I am completely spent in regards to bench. Sure, I may do some double unders but my assistance work is maybe some back (1 arm rows, pull-ups), maybe some shoulder work (barbell front raises) but overall...it certainly isn't Lynne at the end of my bench session.

I think one of the overlooked things with Wendlers 5/3/1 is the assistance work. Sure the main lifts are the focus but its what you do when those main lifts are done that can make or break your true potential with the program. Let me rephrase that. It is what you DON'T do after the main lifts that can matter the most. Early on, as I see you are in week 2, weights are light enough but Wendlers, last I checked, is supposed to make you strong over a period of time. I've seen friends try it that were significantly stronger (350+ raw bench, bodybuilding style of training with 30-40 reps 3-5 a week per bodypart) and more accustomed to heavy loads and volume than you, just completely crash out after about week 7 because they did too much "other programming" for assistance work.

just be careful with that.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 10-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Keyavash Hemyari

Profile:

"From experience, if you have anything left to do the main lift again in a WoD, you aren't pushing that final 5+,. 3+, 1+ set hard enough and therefore, not getting all you can from Wendler's design."

I understand what you're saying. But I think this is wrong. Are you telling me that after 1 set to burn out, you have no room for bench at a lower weight? This isn't my case.

IE) Say I bench 185x9.5 times. Benching 5x115x10 is RXd by Wendler in the Boring but Big assistance. Now doing this, 2x115x10, 3x95x10, with Pull ups (assistance lift), combines both with a cardio aspect. Yes, I can crank out the 5x115x10 with breaks, but the point was to combine it with some cardio aspect.

I don't think muscular endurance has as much to do with pushing a set hard enough, and getting all you can from Wendlers.

See prior to Wendlers, I'd do 135x10, 155x5, 185x5, 205x3-4, and 225xF, with a couple of forced reps. But I noticed I wasn't making any gains (or as fast/steady as I would with Wendlers). This is because I'd already be pretty spent with the 205 to make breaks in the 225 range. Wendler has a better style imo. But, even after this I can still do some lighter weight. Perhaps I've just built up more chest endurance? I dno.

That's a good point you make at the end, thanks! That's why I keep the WODs pretty short.

Last edited by Keyavash Hemyari : 10-21-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Spencer James

Profile:

In the e-book, Wendler writes that he really just advocates some prowler pushes or hill sprints for conditioning (ie metcons).
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Since you are in the early stages of Wendler's you had the energy/strength for Lynne, but don't get used to it. 4 conditioning workouts a week will start to become too much once you get into heavier weights so dick around with the metcons now but be prepared to scale them down if strength is really your priority.

For the record I think workouts like Lynne should be avoided during strength training unless you're fairly experienced; it has DOMS written all over it. If you're hitting your work sets and assistance moves as hard as you should be, you shouldn't even want to be doing workouts like Lynne afterwards.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyavash Hemyari View Post
Say I bench 185x9.5 times.

Are you sure you're doing it right? It's only the 3rd set that should be for max reps.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Keyavash Hemyari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Are you sure you're doing it right? It's only the 3rd set that should be for max reps.
Yes, that was my 3rd set. Ouch, that was max reps =(. It went 145x3,165x3,185x3+ for 9.5 reps. I put in 225x2 for the Wendler calculator, as that was my last max.

Last edited by Keyavash Hemyari : 10-21-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Keyavash Hemyari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Since you are in the early stages of Wendler's you had the energy/strength for Lynne, but don't get used to it. 4 conditioning workouts a week will start to become too much once you get into heavier weights so dick around with the metcons now but be prepared to scale them down if strength is really your priority.

For the record I think workouts like Lynne should be avoided during strength training unless you're fairly experienced; it has DOMS written all over it. If you're hitting your work sets and assistance moves as hard as you should be, you shouldn't even want to be doing workouts like Lynne afterwards.
No, my assistance moves were incorporated in Lynne.

ie) Lynne I did, 5x10x115, and 5 sets of max pull ups.

or

Boring But Big is 5x10x115, with 5x10 dumbell rows.

See? I did it the Lynne format to get my heart rate going and to sweat. Otherwise, there isn't a crossfit element.

Last edited by Keyavash Hemyari : 10-21-2011 at 12:10 PM.