CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #41
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cieszkowski View Post
The manual in question was Twight's. Some of the included content was lifted directly from CF and then sold under Twight's copyright.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/Cros...ark-Twight.pdf (WFS)

Comment #85 here: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002121.html (WFS)
I am aware of that conversation. However, Steve said "Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual," which is not true. There is no CrossFit manual.

If Twight truly had stolen something, CF could easily bury him in legal fees and put him out of business. The fact that CF has not sought any legal remedies to this "situation" is probably the most telling aspect of the whole ordeal.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you dig around, especially at that one forum that is verboten to talk about here; you'll here Twight spins it differently.

At the end of the days, it's interesting to read and then move on. CFJ also posted an article on Twight's seminar about a year or two ago, somewhat interesting.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Once again, Glassman and Twight were collaborators at one point. And it's impossible for you to say that they copy Crossfit when they helped with Crossfit in the beginning, ...
I don't care very much about another Twight argument, but this is false, Twight was not there in the beginning...I have no doubt he collaborated with and shared ideas with Glassman when they did meet (not sure how much or little Glassman got from Twight)...but we shouldn't revise history. It was not at the beginning.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #44
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunter View Post
Good point Doug.

I was involved with CF when Twight and Glassman had their issues and I'm not sure what exactly happened.
That's my point. Is even people that were around back then don't even know what happened.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #45
Sean Dunston

Profile:

From the NYT article:

Quote:
“You can never get rid of endurance work,” Mr. MacDonald said, stabbing at the board with a marker. “If you need to get rid of something in your workout, it needs to be the weight room.”
I strongly disagree with this statement... but since we have no idea what the context is - because it is just thrown in at the end of the article - we may not ever know why he said it.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #46
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Biting my tongue hard on this thread, surprised it hasn't been closed as the numerous previous threads, use the search function.
Steve, for the record Mark thanks Glassman in his seminar manual along with many, many others who contributed to his knowledge.
Where GJ is quite different from CF is in the recognition that depending on you goal , different aspects of fitness may not be as useful to spend resources developing.
The GJ philosophy of "find the problem , fix the problem" runs counter to the wonderful business model of "Crossfit for all, all the time, scaled if needed". Different goals , different methods.
It is fascinating to me that the people who whine about GJ are always the people with the least knowledge of GJ. They have generally had so much CF Kool aid that they will tout CF as superior in every regard for every goal. This is as silly as hearing out the bodybuilder talk of fitness as aesthetics rather than performance.
Many great contributors to these message boards have left or been banned: Mark Twight, Mellissa and Dallas, Robb Wolf, Shane Sworkam( sp?) to name a few, because questioning the CF methodology is forbidden. Glassman didn't invent interval training, or circuit training or Olympic weightlifting, nor was he the first to put them together.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #47
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
From the NYT article:

I strongly disagree with this statement... but since we have no idea what the context is - because it is just thrown in at the end of the article - we may not ever know why he said it.
anything else you disagree with that you have no context for???..... my point exactly.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly View Post
anything else you disagree with that you have no context for???..... my point exactly.
That is the problem with a lot of journalists when they write about subjects with which they have little to no experience... they pepper their articles with soundbites, devoid of any reason. It doesn't even support a hypothesis posited by the author... it is merely thrown in there as a worthless add-on.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #49
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Five pages? Good lord.

Worry about giving people rhabdo. Worry about trainers having inappropriate relationships with clients. Worry about PEDs and the Crossfit Games... just about anything would be more productive than rehashing this.

Katherine

Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #50
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
... just about anything would be more productive than rehashing this.
Hey, why does this thread get singled out for this comment? Sheesh, you could say that about so many threads on this forum. It's what we do!

By the way, is just doing the WOD enough?