CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Westside etc. - please read

Ok, after some consideration I am taking the advice of some here and will try to henceforth only answer questions regarding Westside and its efficacy. I still and truly believe (based upon more experience than probably anyone on these boards with resistance training) it is a clearly superior method, but realize my trying to more or less force people to accept that via absolute type statements may not be the best way to spread the word.

By the way, I do talk about things other than Westside and will continue to do that as well .

If I have offended anyone please accept my apologies. It was not my intention, but I can get a bit riled when arguing points (from time to time) and that combined with being overly direct can come across as rude etc.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Alexander Martin

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Westside etc. - please read

What might be right for some, may not be right for others. Good post.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

I can't look from work, but didn't you write an article for the journal basically laying out a template for combining WS with crossfit? After an adventure race in Nov, I'll be looking for a strength program to carry me through until spring. Using linear (and silly bodybuilding techniques for too many years ) my strength numbers are "pretty good" by crossfit standards, but pretty poor in the strength community. And secondly, how does one go about identifying specific weaknesses that need to be worked on? Also, what are your thoughts on combining your dynamic work with metcons? Too great of a chance at form breakdown, defeating the purpose?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I can't look from work, but didn't you write an article for the journal basically laying out a template for combining WS with crossfit? After an adventure race in Nov, I'll be looking for a strength program to carry me through until spring. Using linear (and silly bodybuilding techniques for too many years ) my strength numbers are "pretty good" by crossfit standards, but pretty poor in the strength community. And secondly, how does one go about identifying specific weaknesses that need to be worked on? Also, what are your thoughts on combining your dynamic work with metcons? Too great of a chance at form breakdown, defeating the purpose?
I did write an article, and my thoughts have morphed a bit on the topic since. I am now a proponent of a complete Westside template combined with 2 WODs per week. I believe this style of training will build strength and maintain conditioning.

In terms of weaknesses, I think the easiest way to address the problem is to experiment with different accessory movements and find which ones most help your big 3.

I would NOT combine DE work with met-cons.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I did write an article, and my thoughts have morphed a bit on the topic since. I am now a proponent of a complete Westside template combined with 2 WODs per week. I believe this style of training will build strength and maintain conditioning.

In terms of weaknesses, I think the easiest way to address the problem is to experiment with different accessory movements and find which ones most help your big 3.

Can we expect an updated article, I would be particularly interested in your opinion on not combining DE work with met-cons?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I did the Conjugate CrossFit for a few months and am now doing the full Conjugate Westside and I agree with Chris. On the two days that I do Metcons, I just do cardio based Metcons. Nothing stupid like high rep Olympic lifts, squats or deadlifts. I stick with sprints, rows, striking combos, double unders, box squats, KB Sqings, burpees, pushups,etc.

Edit: if programmed correctly, Conjugate CrossFit can be an excellent program. Something like:

Day 1: ME Upper.
Day 2: Metcon (lower based).
Day 3: Rest.
Day 4: ME Lower.
Day 5: Metcon (upper based).
Day 6: Metcon.
Day 7: Rest.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 08-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:

I've been trying to figure what works best for me, but do you feel it would be better to do metcons on the off days or after the ME days?

With the metcons in the program would you cut back the volume on the ME and DE days or keep the volume the same?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:

Apparently everyone else took that to mean no metcons on DE days. I took it as not including DE work in a metcon. Could you clarify Chris?

Right now I'm doing full westside plus 2 metcons in the evening after my morning DE session (cutting accessory volume down a little). I feel adequately recovered and am making gains in both areas.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Dylan Glickman

Profile:

If you are truly interested in the Conjugate system with some crossfit conditioning. Then you must tryout Lift Strong Run Fast. Liftstrongrunfast.com is the website and its programmed by Scott Wells. Scott Wells is Westside Certified and gets personally invited to travel up to WSBB and spend time learning under Louie Simmons, he uses their template and combines it with metabolic conditioning

check it out

liftstrongrunfast.com

They are just opening up their 2nd location this week
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

This is kindof an aside, but part of the reason I think more well-known programs are, well, well-known and perhaps respected, is that there are a plethora of easy to read and follow charts and diagrams all over the web explicitly laying out the programs in their simplistic glory. You just can't misinterpret them. I think your CFJ articles have done an excellent job of laying out the rationale and maybe a deliberately generic template for a great program, but I think perhaps some people prefer/need the Even A Caveman Can Do It chart-style explanation.