CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #71
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Fixed that for you.

Fact is that 90% of people who do cf DON'T in fact know when to scale, or stop and rest, or end the workout. Perfect example is RIGHT HERE. (wfs)
That video made me cringe.

When Daniel-san got his leg injured by an illegal attack from Cobra Kai did he give up? No! He came back, got into his crane stance and kicked that a-hole right in the face and won the tournament!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #72
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Aquilina View Post
In summary, plyometrics, like olympic power movements, should be done within a low repetition range. Some how CrossFit goes against the word of the most world renowned exercise physiologists...smart.
While generally dismissing exercise science as useless...

Katherine

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #73
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Interesting video.

I'm caught between a mix of thoughts regarding that one.

1) Why didn't she stop? Obviously she's done, so why not cut your losses, recover, and come back hard next time?

2) I hope that I would have the same fortitude and ability to push myself when it counts.

3) How many movies glorify the athlete who is injured (or has some other obstacle) and yet comes back and finishes/wins?

I think that the "don't you dare stop, you keep pushing!" thing is ingrained in many of us, whether CFers or not. I have a relative who trekked across Norway in the dead of winter, with minimal food/water, and losing toes/fingers to frostbite, to warn people about something related to WWII (I need to here that story again to get the facts straight) or another invasion. Many would look at him as a hero. Yet if it was a CF WOD, we'd wonder why he didn't scale or stop. There are just some times when stopping isn't an option.

At the same time, CF WODs usually don't have the consequence of 'if you fail, people die', and so the gravity of the situation is different.

(The following is not directed at you Andrew)
Eat healthy, get strong, and keep conditioning simple. If you've got some WODs/benchmarks that you like, do them. Get your goals and priorities straight, and then proceed from there. If the goal is to get as strong as possible, Hero WODs and Filthy Fifty probably aren't in the mix. If you want to be a generalist, then keep things mixed up, strength, short-time, long-time, gymnastics, etc, but have a purpose behind everything. Pre-assess, assess, and then re-assess. You'll either have green lights and be closer to your goals, or red flags will be popping up everywhere.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #74
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
I think that the "don't you dare stop, you keep pushing!" thing is ingrained in many of us, whether CFers or not. I have a relative who trekked across Norway in the dead of winter, with minimal food/water, and losing toes/fingers to frostbite, to warn people about something related to WWII (I need to here that story again to get the facts straight) or another invasion. Many would look at him as a hero. Yet if it was a CF WOD, we'd wonder why he didn't scale or stop. There are just some times when stopping isn't an option.

At the same time, CF WODs usually don't have the consequence of 'if you fail, people die', and so the gravity of the situation is different.
Some of the affiliate names, event names, logos, and articles written demonstrate that some Crossfitters think that their exercising is like a war of some sort.

I've yet to see anything that suggests that giving full intensity on every workout to the point of form degradation makes you better prepared for anything. It actually suggest to me just the opposite.

How often have you heard, "training for life" in relation to Crossfit? Does it make sense?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #75
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I, for one, believe in results.

I used to do LSD running and went to the gym to bench, curl and do pullups here and there w/o having any real idea of what I was doing or why I was doing it except that everyone else was doing it and I didn't think I was going to hurt myself.

Since I've been doing CF-type workouts, my fitness levels have increased dramatically. Specifically strength, speed and endurance. There has been a noticeable difference in body composition, functional strength and increased cardio threshold for my other activities like BJJ and tennis.

So I don't put any stock into what someone writes on the interwebs about how CF is bad for you. The only results that I care about tell me that CF works.

If you don't scale a workout or if you push past an injury to complete a workout, that's on you. If you do a workout to the point where your form is broken enough to be detrimental, that's also on you. Taking a good idea to the extreme doesn't make any less of a good idea.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #76
Adam Carlson

Profile:

yeah Shane, I don't deny that.

What I mean to say is that there is a survivor/hunter aspect to many of us, but modern life doesn't allow it to come out and play. Some people take up recreational sports, others do extreme things, some live vicariously through action movies, and many find their outlet in CF. Containing and managing that side isn't easy for those (most) who aren't aware of that part of their nature.

Good coaching, it seems, would incorporate educating athletes on how to recognize and deal with that part of themselves.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #77
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Vickie - CF done right is a great thing. It turned me around from pointlessly wasting time in the gym to actually having goals that are attainable AND having a means to work towards them.

Unfortunately, it is so very easy to do CF wrong, as many have found out to their dismay. It's hard to tell when it's being done wrong.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #78
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Alright guys I get it CrossFit is dangerous. Far more dangerous than playing football or basketball, or soccer. There are never injuries in any of those sports.....

High reps box jumps are irresponsibly dangerous, so are high rep olympic lifts, which is why Chris Spealler is in the sad physical state that he is in right now. You guys are right: I should stop doing all this dangeorus stuff because I am just asking for injuries. Maybe I should just take up Chess instead.

CrossFit used to be Greg Glassman, aka coach. Now people refer to it as this corporate giant so it is easier to dump on. Do you know why Greg Glassman started his rinky dink website 10 years ago? To make money and share his passion with the world. Now he is doing both of those thing quite succesfully and lots of people are ****ed off about it.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #79
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Variety helps, but as any good affiliate with quality programming and coaching will demonstrate, that variety is well planned and placed their with a purpose, not drawn out of a hat or pulled out of a random number generator.

I still do like the 'Hopper Model' of fitness, where someone who is truly fit can reasonably address any task that is thrown their way, but I think that people can structure things so that they can get there safely and purposefully.
Me too. It overall seems reasonable if the "Hopper" is done rationally. Ie. I would not consider doing 1000 pushups for time a rational workout even if drawn from a "Hopper".

I'd just add my two cents that random number generator and planning do not have to be mutually exclusive. For example, just plan out parameters for exercises to select and with what frequency and set/rep and method of lifting, etc., and time frame. An example outside of exercise would be a chess game where the pieces are placed randomly at their beginning rows (with some constraints) but you'd still use well-developed chess strategy, tactics, and rules in using the pieces.

Justin

Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #80
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
When Daniel-san got his leg injured by an illegal attack from Cobra Kai did he give up? No! He came back, got into his crane stance and kicked that a-hole right in the face and won the tournament!

He came back only with the skills of Mr. Myagi!

Justin