CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #111
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Same reason it took me a couple of years to learn to do them? So many things to learn so little time. We have to pick and choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Right, because if he didn't do DUs then Greg frickin' Amundson wasn't doing CF.

Hilarious.
If you read the article, you'd see that it wasn't that he couldn't learn to do them, it's that he couldn't remember the last time he held a jump rope. Meaning he wasn't doing the programming, exactly what he wrote in that article.

Personally I think double-unders are stupid and I don't fault him for not doing them, but how can you hold him to the standard as one of the most experienced Crossfitters when his training didn't resemble what was posted on crossfit.com or on many of affiliate websites?


Greg also trained for several sprint level triathlons. And attempted a 100 mile run. And he is/was a SWAT agent and I believe he may have gone through some selection schools?

If you want to hold him as the example of what the longest living Crossfitter did, I think it's a poor example because his experience doesn't match what 95% of Crossfitters are doing at all.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #112
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Fact is that 90% of people who do cf DON'T in fact know when to scale, or stop and rest, or end the workout. Perfect example is RIGHT HERE. (wfs)
While I personally wouldn't do that because I couldn't risk the injury like that because of my line of work, I give her a ton of respect for what she did. It is no different than what that sprinter did years ago at the olympics where he pulled a hamstring and he wanted to finish. His father finally helped him out because he was in so much pain. Many people compete for different reasons and I won't judge them for decisions they make.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 07-27-2011 at 11:57 AM.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #113
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If you read the article, you'd see that it wasn't that he couldn't learn to do them, it's that he couldn't remember the last time he held a jump rope. Meaning he wasn't doing the programming, exactly what he wrote in that article.

Personally I think double-unders are stupid and I don't fault him for not doing them, but how can you hold him to the standard as one of the most experienced Crossfitters when his training didn't resemble what was posted on crossfit.com or on many of affiliate websites?


Greg also trained for several sprint level triathlons. And attempted a 100 mile run. And he is/was a SWAT agent and I believe he may have gone through some selection schools?

If you want to hold him as the example of what the longest living Crossfitter did, I think it's a poor example because his experience doesn't match what 95% of Crossfitters are doing at all.
Dude, this is from my phone so I can't be all long-winded, but:

Learn and play new sports, check.
I will not engage in these tired What Is CrossFit Wars.
Watch the 10-year goal video. Glassman is practically a father figure to him and he basically says CF changed his life forever. If that's not your dyed in the wool example then forget it.
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #114
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Yes, and somehow CrossFit is more liable than the rest of these disciplines when people hurt themselves, or do these other disciplines just never cause injury because there are no "bad" coaches and/or students? Orrr is it that these other disciplines are magical and thus inherently safer?
Um, I don't recall typing any of that here.

You asked the question based on MY personal experience. I know exactly what my personal experience has been with CrossFit and with other sports. I'm actually very clear on the differences. So, now you can discredit anyone just because their experience differs from yours?
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #115
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Damn I can't get away from this thread, but anyways...

There needs to be a distinction between CF the sport and CF the workout program.

If someone wants to compete in CF and is training for the games then I suppose they acknowledge a certain amount of risk that goes with pushing that hard on a regular basis. However, the vast majority of people that do CF don't give a sh*t about being elite at anything and just want to feel, better, look better, and have a hightened quality of life. If you accept people like this into your gym and take their money then you are saying that you are experienced and knowledgable enough to help them toward that goal. To then give a person like that a completely avoidable LIFE THREATENING injury by programming movements KNOWN to cause said injury is completely unacceptable. Even to tear their achilles programmimg a movement known to cause such an injury in high quantities is unacceptable. It's not their fault that this happened because they didn't know the movements were inherently dangerous and it's not their fault because they didn't know their limits. That's why they're paying you. And no the answer isn't "well CF is hard."

If a gym or trainer isn't comfortable training people with normal goals or just want to be healthy then they need to turn those poeple away and say that they're only looking for competitive Crossfitters. Because putting someone in the hospital for six days, or in a cast for much longer is NOT healthy and it's not fitness and they would have been better off going to LA fitness and doing circuits on the machines.

End of rant.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #116
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Um, I don't recall typing any of that here.

You asked the question based on MY personal experience. I know exactly what my personal experience has been with CrossFit and with other sports. I'm actually very clear on the differences. So, now you can discredit anyone just because their experience differs from yours?
*sigh* I am not trying to discredit you or anyone. I am simply trying to highlight that IF it seems absurd when you read the stories in another context, then there is PERHAPS something about "CrossFit" that seems to change the perception of liability and risk, justly or unjustly. Whether anyone sees it there or not is totally dependent upon their story. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions based on your short reply.
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 07-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #117
Jason R O'Dell
Banned Jason R O'Dell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moore  OK
Posts: 3,396
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Professional sports may not be done for health, but the vast majority of people who participate in sports at the rec level would say that they participate in sports to stay healthy (and it's fun). Valid comparison, IMO.
No it's not. It's a different world than professional sports and not nearly as dangerous. The pace is completely different, the people you're playing against are completely different and so on. There's less risk of injury there. But ya know, I can probably say whatever I want but since you have imbibed the kool-aid it'll probably fall on deaf ears.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #118
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
While I personally wouldn't do that because I couldn't risk the injury like that because of my line of work, I give her a ton of respect for what she did. It is no different than what that sprinter did years ago at the olympics where he pulled a hamstring and he wanted to finish. His father finally helped him out because he was in so much pain. Many people compete for different reasons and I won't judge them for decisions they make.
Sorry, I don't have much respect for the judgment of someone who risks longterm damage to his/her body and health unless there's something big at stake.

"Big" would pretty much be limited to your life, the life of someone you love, a gold medal, or a multimillion dollar contract.

The Olympic sprinter in your example probably wasn't at risk of injuring his hamstring any worse than it already was by hobbling across the finish line. Continuing to do burpees and dumbbell push presses with a thoroughly jacked up shoulder is another story.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #119
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Dude, this is from my phone so I can't be all long-winded, but:

Learn and play new sports, check.
I will not engage in these tired What Is CrossFit Wars.
Watch the 10-year goal video. Glassman is practically a father figure to him and he basically says CF changed his life forever. If that's not your dyed in the wool example then forget it.
Ok, I can agree with that.

I still do Crossfit, but I've stopped doing thrusters, sumo deadlift high pulls, box jumps, push presses, double-unders, virtual shoveling, dumbbell cleans, kipping pullups, wallballs, waiter walks, lowbar squats, sledgehammer slams, sandbag runs, dumbbell snatches, dumbbell deadlifts, American-style kettlebell swings, toes through rings, medball cleans, walking lunges, and a million other things. Also, I stopped doing most metcons, Oly lifts over 3 reps, and going all-out every day. I also stop when my form breaks down (ok, I'll admit, not in running) and I plan my days in advance. But I still do Crossfit.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #120
Jason R O'Dell
Banned Jason R O'Dell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moore  OK
Posts: 3,396
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
Has their ever been an injury at the gym you train at? I already know the answer. Is it because Olymipc lifting is bad for you? No.

I guess I have always just had the ability to think for myself and I figured that most other adults do too. Aparently that is not the case. I think because Coach Glassman is out of the mainsite scene alot of his ideals have gotten muddled through interpretations of individuals on message boards and the like.
You say you think for yourself then you throw yourself at the mercy of Coach's ideas...hmmm.......which is it?

I often wonder if Coach said "Hey, I discovered that eating shards of broken glass and then rinsing your mouth out with rubbing alcohol is functional and good for you!" how many affiliate owners would program it then rush to defend it on the messageboard.

Olympic lifting is not bad for you but if someone programmed your O-Lift training in an incredibly stupid way and had youdo it saying it'd be good for you and you got hurt then I wouldn't blame O-Lifting but I'd blame the overall program.
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gillian Mounsey Justin Z. Smith Pukie's Bucket 20 07-25-2011 08:55 PM
Article on Vitamin D Wayne Riddle Nutrition 3 08-21-2009 01:59 AM
My First Article Chris Drewry Community 3 05-11-2008 02:02 AM
Handstand Article John McCracken Exercises 4 12-28-2005 08:25 AM
I liked this article Barry Cooper Nutrition 1 11-17-2003 03:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.