CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:
Carb Loading and GLUT4

I'm trying to come up with a good alternative the old popular crab loading practice so many distance runners have as a ritual. I've recently taken back up middle distance training (running lots of repeats around 400m). I never had great luck with carb loading myself and actually felt it was counter productive. I dug up this GLUT4 research and am going to give it a shot.

My plan is to prior to high intensity workout (one hour prior?) do about 2 minutes of muscle contractions in combination with drinking a high carbohydrate drink. The theory is contractions will activate the GLUT4 receptors and draw more carbohydrates / energy into the cells. Has anybody tried this?

For the drink I made 2 cups of green tea with 4 tbsp of honey. I chose honey because of it's supposed high Glycemic index and quick absorption. I'm going to give it a shot before my workout tonight.

Thanks! & Let me know what you think.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
James Chu

Profile:
Re: Carb Loading and GLUT4

Not sure about what your definition of carb loading is, but mine is usually the night before a competition, not an hour before a workout and usually in the form of starches, not sugars. The reason for this is because muscle glycogen replacement takes time. Depending on your glycogen stores, an hour may not be enough.

However, regarding pre-competition carbohydrates, about 15-30 mins prior to a race, I do consume carbs in the form of either maltodextrin or glucose. This is mostly to get some sugars into the blood stream so my body can immediately use them.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chu View Post
Not sure about what your definition of carb loading is, but mine is usually the night before a competition, not an hour before a workout and usually in the form of starches, not sugars. The reason for this is because muscle glycogen replacement takes time. Depending on your glycogen stores, an hour may not be enough.

However, regarding pre-competition carbohydrates, about 15-30 mins prior to a race, I do consume carbs in the form of either maltodextrin or glucose. This is mostly to get some sugars into the blood stream so my body can immediately use them.
Cool, yeah that's pretty much what I've done in the past. Used to carb load night before. However, I've experimented with it a lot over the years. That's what I did around 10 years ago as a competitive distance runner.

As a body builder, I dropped carbs as much as humanly possible. Then the morning of the competition crab loaded like mad. Worked phenomenally well in terms of muscularity and vascularity. Carb loading the morning of was a trick I got from the Encyclopedia of bodybuilding. He encouraged not the night before but morning of. That's body building though but still pretty intense lots of pumping up and posing which can be completely and totally draining.

I recently did an endurance mountain bike race. I tried not carb loading at all for one of our training runs. Used paleo diet and ate nearly ALL protein / fats. Almost collapsed around 15 miles into circuit. Couldn't hardly stand up, was starting to black out and nearly passed out. Took a carb / gel packet and was able to finish up the training run. By the end I felt fine.

Now I'm trying something in between. I read about this in the Four Hour Body. Thought the introduction of muscle contractions and prior to a workout would be fun to try.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
James Chu

Profile:

Well, give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you!

Also, try plain sugar as well. I can't remember where I read it, but fructose (present in honey) doesn't affect muscle glycogen, but instead helps with liver glycogen. However, recent research indicates that a combination glucose/fructose is absorbed faster during competition than just glucose alone.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chu View Post
Well, give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you!

Also, try plain sugar as well. I can't remember where I read it, but fructose (present in honey) doesn't affect muscle glycogen, but instead helps with liver glycogen. However, recent research indicates that a combination glucose/fructose is absorbed faster during competition than just glucose alone.
Interesting you should mention that. I have a friend that's a natural pathic doctor. She said something similar. She said that Honey is OK. But agave nectar is bad because it doesn't include fructose only glucose. She said ideally carbohydrates should include both glucose and fructose.

I could have it mixed up but it was something to that effect. She said one of the most idea sugars is actually natural maple syrup. I just had a lot of honey to use up
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:

Last night was my fastest workout yet!!!!!! I did few things including the GLUT 4 loading cycle as follows:
3 days prior to workout - Stride calibration. I ran 1.5 miles completely barefoot on cement to ensure I knew how I was striking.

1 hour prior to workout - Had another person crank on my hamstrings, gluts, and hips to open them up using some PNF stretches I know. Immediately thereafter I drank 1 cup of green tea with 3 tbsp of honey. Immediately after that I did a wall squat for one minute, push-ups and more sissy squats. Just enough to get my muscles warmed up.
The workout was four 800m runs. Previously I have been unable to keep up with the group and have always had to dropout of the workout for one of the laps to keep up with the crew I run with. I would even start to black out at times.

This time I ran all repetitions with virtually no fatigue until my last 200 meters! At which point my muscles started to burn a bit a tad as I kicked it in for the last few meters. Previously I would experience the burn about half way through the workout and fall off the group.

And this time I lead the group being 5-10 seconds faster than the next fastest guy for the entire workout!!! Lastly I recovered immediately whereas in previous workouts it took a few hours to recoup. So excited. Was it the GLUT 4 loading? I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt anything
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

a great place to find more info about this is paleo diet for athletes. they have everything you need down to the decimal about preworkout, during workout, and postworkout. it's a great read for the endurance athlete looking to maximize their results while staying paleo.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:

Well I did week number two of my pre-carb loading routine. This week, I used,

14 oz green tea
4 tbsp honey

This was one hour prior to training. I also did some hip opening stretches and a quick warm-up consisting of kettlebell swings, wall squats, and push-ups until I got my blood pumping and a little sweat worked up.

Our prescribed times to hit were 80 seconds for eight 400m runs w/ a 200 meter jog in between. I felt like I was having to hold back on them to hit the times. I opened my legs up and every single one was faster until I was easily breaking down into the 60 second range (would have made it to low 60's on my last one but somebody stepped out in front of my kick on the track).

My next step is to start trying workouts without the carb loading and compare.

One last thing I"m curious about. At the last 70 meters I felt like suddenly I had a heat lamp stuck on me. For a while after completing the workout my body wouldn't cool down. Although my heart rate recovered and I wasn't terribly fatigued.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Spencer James

Profile:

You should probably also try this with decaf green tea but with honey to disentangle the effects of the carbs from the caffeine.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

I am very interested in this Matt, keep us updated please.