CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Joe Cebulski

Profile:
Crossfit Games Fraud - What are your thoughts

I am really curious what the crossfit community thinks about this. There is a video of Spealler and Khalipa doing WOD 11.6 "testing out" a shortened version of this final WOD. It's obvious for several reasons (won't go into them here) that this was before the games began. This means that they knew the workout ahead of all other competitors which is a HUGE advantage in crossfit.

I actually have information from a CF HQ employee that they in fact knew ALL of the Sectional WODs way before the games began. What do you think about this??
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Games Fraud - What are your thoughts

Why won't you go into those reasons? I won't believe it until you name a credible source. I believe the video was shot during week 6 of the open (the week where they posted both 11.5 and 11.6 so people who had schedules could do them both that week) so I don't know why you're making such a fuss.

Unless you are a troll...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

All of the Open workouts were pretty typical CF metcons, so I don't agree that knowing them in advance would have been a big advantage. Particularly for someone like Khalipa or Spealler, who we can assume already have a pretty solid CF-specific skill base. It's not like either of them would have needed a crash course in muscle-ups or double-unders.

Katherine
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

considering that Khalipa has a life-long 'get in the games free' pass since he won the 2008 games and Speal pre-qualified due to finishing 3rd last year, what advantage do they gain for a contest in which they are not competing? They filmed a demo to show people how to do it, but since they themselves don't have to do it to get in the games, there isn't any issue here.

As for the HQ employee - are they competing? Also, with the variety of things happening, is it possible to train for everything all at the same time? I don't think so.

This seems like a non-issue to me. Besides, as Coach Glassman says, even if someone cheats at that level, what will they do when they get to the higher levels of the games? They'll wash out anyway.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Hey Joe, haven't seen you around.

I agree with the other posters that the advantage for seasoned CFers is fairly negligible, but from an overall fairness standpoint I think this kind of thing will need to be crushed in the future.

Now, of course, I don't know the whole story. HQ might have had a list of 10-20 workouts they were considering and asked some fire breathers to test them to flesh them out. Why they wouldn't ask someone who isn't competing, I don't know.

You still CFing Joe? Or have CF competitions as a goal? I just looked you up on the games site and it said you only submitted scores for workouts 1-4. Any reason? I hope this potential business with leaked workouts isn't making you feel disillusioned with the whole thing. The CF games are definitely a work in progress, as you know (still keeping my fingers crossed with you for that better scoring system).
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I dunno why you are acting like this is some surprise, multiple athletes mentioned having had the opportunity to try out individual wods early in order to test their viability (or similar wods) in interview segments that were posted to the games site. That in addition to the fact that the people performing the demos were also all or mostly all competitors in the open as well, should tell you that there were a handful of folks who got early awareness of the wods.
I'm not competing so my POV is probably off, but I don't really see it as any more of an issue than the fact that for the most part the same folks are getting the mainsite workouts early as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Joe Cebulski

Profile:

A response to a few of the comments.

First of all...I assure you Struan, I am not a troll. Be careful how you throw that around. I'm heavily invested in CF and care deeply for a sport that I believe can rise to the level of MLB, NBA, etc. No sport has ever transitioned from amateur to professional as fast as CF, so I expect for there to be speed bumps. However, it is in fact now a professional sport and considerations need to be made. Foundations are important for everything from businesses to athletic performance. I want CF games to have a good foundation. I don't go into the details and name names because I care about the individuals who shared this with me and I don't want to jeopardize their jobs. I suppose I should have said this was all hypothetical.

Adam-good point about the lifetime pass. I had forgotten about that. However, the WOD information wasn't limited to individuals with this pass though.

I would still argue that knowing movements, nrg systems, weights etc is an advantage. You can plan training theory specifically around all these points, as well as become familiar with the workout psychologically (which may be the biggest advantage of all).

A couple of questions based of the idea that there's no advantage/these guys are good anyway: 1) Why keep the WODs a secret at all? Why the big deal about Unknown and Unknowable then. Is it just pomp and circumstance? 2) What if I were to tell you that "hypothetically" some of the competitors had been told what the WODs were for Regionals all the way to Nationals. Is there still no advantage there?

David - Good to hear from you man. I'm still CFing. Competing is a different story. Wife and I have a new baby...added to the 2 we have - moved the gym to a new downtown GR location - developed a new plyobox that we're bringing to market in a few weeks. I did the first comp wods for fun, but then had to travel and couldn't finish them up. No disillusionment...just reality I too am still hopeful that performance based scoring will eventually be used. Some major issues with using places in a worldwide comp, especially when you add up duplicate performances and then give the next guy a place equal to how many had the duplicate previous. That didn't make sense did it? Lol. Anyway...hope you are well David!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Struan Potter

Profile:

Apologies if I came across as aggressive. That was not my intention.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Jason Halm

Profile:

It's pretty clearly an advantage. One that really should not be given out, or, if it is, should be given out to only people with an automatic bid to the games.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cebulski View Post
I would still argue that knowing movements, nrg systems, weights etc is an advantage. You can plan training theory specifically around all these points, as well as become familiar with the workout psychologically (which may be the biggest advantage of all).
How far in advance, and what is the workout?

Sure, knowing the full list of workouts a year in advance would give someone time to work on any weaknesses and -- perhaps more important -- deemphasize things that aren't actually going to come up. But knowing some of the workouts a few weeks in advance? *shrug* Unlikely to matter for anyone likely to be a serious competitor.

Katherine