CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Matthew Bragg

Profile:
New to CF and loving it!

Hey everyone, I just started doing CrossFit this week after knowing about it but not really understanding what it was all about for a couple years. I'm extremely glad I made the change to CF, I feel like it's everything I've been looking for fitness wise. I'm only able to do CF full-time for the next three(or so) months because I'm going to USMC Bootcamp this summer. As far as what I'm trying to achieve from doing CF, I want to increase stamina by alot(which I'm sure will happen by just doing the WOD's), but I'm also looking to lose fat around the lower stomach area and annoying love handle area. I know diet has alot to do with it, but does anyone have any tips as far as losing fat, and will it happen just by eating clean and going to classes at the box? Thanks in advance, looking forward to doing CF for many, many years to come.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: New to CF and loving it!

Lift heavy, sprint hard, eat lots of quality food, get plenty of sleep, repeat 1000x. There's no secret to losing stomach fat (and I'd avoid using the words "love handles" on here) other than eating clean and getting leaner by adding muscle mass and cranking up your metabolism.

Do a search for USMC boot camp/OCS prep threads, there have been plenty of others in your situation and they've all gotten good advice from people on here.

What's your current PFT score? What are some of your current lift numbers? A big squat/deadlift/power clean won't necessarily reflect on the PFT, but will be very valuable on the CFT and when you're hauling a heavy pack around the hills at Edson Range.

Note: I'm finishing up my third year at MCRD San Diego, so I'm not some random yokel giving you advice about what you need to do to get ready.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Matthew Bragg

Profile:

Yeah I've heard sprinting is most effective for burning fat, I'll definately take your advice. We dont actually do PFT's in the DEP, we do IST's, but my score would be 249 for the PFT with my current scores. Running being my area needing the most improvement. Like i said though I still have a few months to work on everything, and I plan on training hard(and smart) with the time I have. Sorry about the 'LH' word by the way, won't use it again lol.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CF will more than take care of your PFT runs, I've run an 18:40 PFT doing no running longer than the occasional 400m repeats that came up in the CF.com workouts, and I've run a 20:20 PFT at 215lbs while doing zero running over about a 3 month period when I was doing a strength-focused CF variant. Plus you'll get faster over the course of the 12 weeks you spend here. There's no need to show up running a 300 PFT or anything, especially if getting there comes at the expense of you getting stronger. Get strong, do your CF metcons, study whatever knowledge your recruiter can give you, and enjoy your last few months of freedom.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Matthew Bragg

Profile:

Thank you, your advice is very much appreciated. I'm just gonna do what I need to do until that ship date comes. By that point, hopefully CF will have whipped me into top-performance shape. I'd love to run a sub 20min, I've always sucked at running so it's something I strive to get better at.