CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Guy Maldari

Profile:
Thumbs up 2 weeks in.. and Loving it ...

I started looking at crossfit a month ago...

Finally pulled the trigger and started doing WOD along with a cardio routine ... I love the WOD, I havent done most of these excerses...since i played highschool ball ... So far so good!

Just a few question...
I warm up - do a 500m row or a .50 mile run... then i do 3 rounds 10 - 15 reps "crossfit" warm up...

then I do WOD ... Unfortunatley I dont not have a realible spot - is it a crossfit sin to use a smithrack?

after that ill play raquetball or some kind of cardio routine - tabata run, a run for distance, a sprint routine... shoot for 15 or 20 minutes on High-intensity and 35-45 minutes for a low intensity ...

what do you guys think... should I be lifting other weights beside the WOD? am i on the right track ? any advice would be helpful...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Bryan Adair

Profile:
Re: 2 weeks in.. and Loving it ...

Are you on the right track for what?

Sounds like you're mixing it up really well for overall GPP, but what are your goals?

I'm new to crossfit myself (2 months) but I've been training for well over 20 years. I can't say if using a smith rack is a crossfit "sin", but I can say that if you need it to train safely, then you'd better be using it.

No program is effective if you can't do it due to injury!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Maldari View Post
then I do WOD ... Unfortunatley I dont not have a realible spot - is it a crossfit sin to use a smithrack?
A sin, no. If you really have no other option its going to be better than nothing... but as Rip said (paraphrasing here), you can squat with smith machine as much as you can with a pinball machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Maldari View Post
after that ill play raquetball or some kind of cardio routine - tabata run, a run for distance, a sprint routine... shoot for 15 or 20 minutes on High-intensity and 35-45 minutes for a low intensity ...

what do you guys think... should I be lifting other weights beside the WOD? am i on the right track ? any advice would be helpful...
To second what was said, what track do you want to be on? Based on the training you describe you are on track for overtraining. If your goal is to be an endurance athlete (which the the program you are describing here) stick with short wods (<15 minutes) on the days you train your sport, don't do them back to back and do your sport specific training only a couple times a week at least to start. Check out Crossfit Endurance for an example of how to do this.

As far as adding weight, if you want to do that, drop the running from your program and lift weights pre-WOD or several hours after your wod. Again keep wod's short on the days you are strength training. If you aren't focus training strength, then its silly to do more strength on top of the wod if your focus is endurance. Anyway, check Crossfit Football for an example of a strength hybrid program.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Guy Maldari

Profile:

I guess I should have specified what my goals are …

Lose weight (in terms of body fat) gain overall body strength….

The days I play Racquet ball I do not do a cardio routine after the WOD …

Thanks for the reference – I use a lot of the cardio routines from crossfitendurance
Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

You might be interested in a Max Effort Black Box style program (google it!) You'll be able to see your weekly work, and that might make it easier to plan if you're not working out at a CrossFit box. Rut - MEBB creator - is an exercise genius and great with pushing body fat reduction & strength gains within the CrossFit methodology.