CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Benjamin Ford

Profile:
Matting over tiles

Hey Crossfitters,

We are about to move into our 1st box, and the flooring is tiles. Not ideal, but what we have to work with.

Has anyone had any experience with matting out over tiles and any of the obvious concequences?

How thick a mat would be suggested?

Would it be better to lay a layer of ply down instead of matting. Right now its matting or ply, not both.

Thanks for any advice,

Ben
Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Matting over tiles

I have 3/8" mat over my tile in my house. However, all my heavy lifting is done on a platform on TOP of that 3/8" mat. So it's 3/8" rubber + 1.5" wood + 3/4" rubber on top of that

if you HAVE to pick, I'd get the rubber just because it's generally more functional... but I'd go at least 3/4". I'd strongly recommend getting homemade platforms put in for any heavy oly lifting though. Just my $0.02
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Benjamin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
I have 3/8" mat over my tile in my house. However, all my heavy lifting is done on a platform on TOP of that 3/8" mat. So it's 3/8" rubber + 1.5" wood + 3/4" rubber on top of that

if you HAVE to pick, I'd get the rubber just because it's generally more functional... but I'd go at least 3/4". I'd strongly recommend getting homemade platforms put in for any heavy oly lifting though. Just my $0.02
Thanks for your input Jeremy.

I already have 2 lifting platform at my home, so what i think i will do is mat the area with 3/4" and like you said when oly lifting or going heavy lay down the platforms.

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

What about cheap chipboard under the rubber? I don't see why it'd have to be plywood for the purpose you intend. If it was me, I'd be too afraid of the tile cracking with just rubber covering it. I've seen concrete crack under 3/4" of rubber, so I wouldn't trust tile under only 3/8" of rubber alone.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Benjamin Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
What about cheap chipboard under the rubber? I don't see why it'd have to be plywood for the purpose you intend. If it was me, I'd be too afraid of the tile cracking with just rubber covering it. I've seen concrete crack under 3/4" of rubber, so I wouldn't trust tile under only 3/8" of rubber alone.
Chipboard! Now there is a good idea!

Thanks Aaron.

Depending on hope cheap it is, maybe double layer the chipboard then mat, and drop the lifting platforms down on really heavy days.

Man im excited to get the go ahead and start!