CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Strength Advice.

To go from the deadlift numbers you are at now to your goals will take a LONG time. Hope you are ready to put in that kind of work. I would suggest 70's Big or 5/3/1 with Met Con but we are still talking over a year.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

You might want to read this article by Martin Rooney: (NOT WFS; its T-Nation)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...rrior_training

Your goals are worthy, but rethink your methodology.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Heavy met-cons are NOT going to to get you to your goals.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Justin McGinley

Profile:

How many days a week are you doing your MMA training? How taxing are those workouts? There are a lot of variables here. If you want to get stronger, and you like metcons more like Grace, and less like Angie, CrossFit Football might be fun for you. It is a solid blend of strength work and short/hard/heavy metcons.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Toby Edison

Profile:

Agree with all previous posters--you need to set goals and prioritize them in order to achieve them. You are strong now and might be past Starting Strength, try 5/3/1 or any other proven powerlifiting templates.

Crossfit is great for giving you a good base for whatever you next training goals are.

Your strength goals would translate into near elite qualifying numbers for you weight. People train years to achieve these numbers.

What do you want to achieve? When? How much time do you have to train? How much money do you have for enormous quantities of food and some good supplements (omega 3, creatine)?

Start with a belt, some Chuck Taylors and a proven template give it three months, eat a ton of food, scale back the metcons and see what your goal for the next 9 months will be.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Moore View Post
I'm 6' 1" and and 218 lbs.

My current lifts are:

- Deadlift: 375 lbs.

- Squat: 326 lbs.

- Bench / Row: 240 lbs (give or take).

- Press: 165 lbs. (shame on me ).

So you think my plan won't work? Aw...
Thats pretty interesting, our numbers and height/weight are similar. I'm 5'11.5 205lbs and many of our lifts are exactly the same or similar. Maybe I'll try some of these ideas too.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Interesting. I'm 6'2", 178lbs, an my numbers are just a tad higher than yours. But basically I'm same train as you guys. Only you guys have the weight already. I'm really leaned out and looking to gain 20 pounds which will skyrocket my lifts. And I can confirm that heavy metcons won't get you there as I tried it already. CFSB could get you there but it'd be a long, sore, tough road. So now the thing to try is 1 or 2 heavy metcons to keep basic conditioning and all the other free time and energy is filled with old school strength work.
I read that t-nation article and it confirme many of these things I've been thinking. I'm only gonna do 1 or 2 CF WOD's a week an otherwise I'm going heavy on the strength, sprints, and Oly lifts for the next while. I'm excited to see how far I can get.