CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Andreas Bang

Profile:
Denmark going down the slippery slope

Please read http://www.peterassentoft.com/?p=109

We still havent recieved an answer from HQ regarding this!!!!!!!

Any comments on this issue?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Denmark going down the slippery slope

Personally I don't see the issue. They have the certified trainers, pay the fees, and follow the rules set forth by CFHQ I say go for it. You suggesting CFHQ should discriminate based on size? At what point membership wise should CFHQ say "Sorry, you can no longer call yourself CF."?

If this gets more people to do crossfit type workouts, isn't that a good thing? Main issue I see people having is if the globogyms or gyms that offer other things besides CF is that their prices might be lower/ As a consumer I see this as a good thing. As a backer of the free and open market, I also think it is a good thing.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Peter Assentoft

Profile:

Hi guys,

The thing is, that the big globo gym www.fitnessworld.dk took over Crossfit Training Center, but they are not going to be affiliated as far as I know. They are just changing the name from Crossfit into Crosstraining even though it is still the very same training they offer. This means that this "new" Crosstraining will be available in their 39 gyms around Denmark. Now Fitnessdk has 38 gyms around Denmark, but they are only offering Crossfit in one of their centers and they are affiliated.
I moved from Denmark to Toronto and there is a big difference when it comes to the price you pay for Crossfit. In the US or Canada going to a Crossfit gym varies from $120 to $170 pr. month as far as I know. In Denmark the range is from $ 80 to $100 if I convert it into dollars.
Now if you then look at the price for training in Fitnessworld it is around $38 pr. month and then you can train all you want. As an affiliate it is very hard to match those low prices, when you also have to pay rent, utilities etc.

I understand the argument when people say "if it makes more people do Crossfit, then why not" I agree to a certain extent. But to me there is something deeper in Crossfit then just training. To me Crossfit is a lifestyle, like it is, for some to go green. The Crossfit community is run by passionate people, that lives and breaths for their sport, like any other athlete would do it. Now if you then looks at the mainstream globogyms, where quantity means way more then quality, then you see a very different picture. The Crossfit way of going back to our ancestral roots to become more equipped for our every day tasks, fades away by these globogyms that now smells money by offering "Crossfit" to the public. To me Crossfit and globogyms are two opposites of the same coin.

@ Wayne, You suggesting CFHQ should discriminate based on size? At what point membership wise should CFHQ say "Sorry, you can no longer call yourself CF."?

See the thing is, that if you are a Fitnesschain like Fitnessworld and Fitnessdk is, then it is a completely different picture in my opinion. Fitnessworld have around 75.000 members and the biggest box in DK has around 1000 members.
There will for sure be members from these Crossfit boxes that will leave to get the cheaper pricing from the big gym. This could with time mean, that the hard work of the affiliate owners and the promise, that Crossfit Inc. will always help the small against the big, will end in favor of the globogyms. If that will be the case many more will follow down the drain.

Where all this will lead, we can only guess as of now, but it would be nice to get some input from HQ, for the sake of the affiliate owners that fear for their living.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Assentoft View Post
They are just changing the name from Crossfit into Crosstraining even though it is still the very same training they offer.
Is there a trademark on deadlifts, squats, jump roping, presses, and etc. ?

Justin
Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Assentoft View Post
They are just changing the name from Crossfit into Crosstraining even though it is still the very same training they offer.
CF just slapped their own name on a type of training that has been around for a long time and did a good job of marketing it.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Funny you should compare it to "a lifestyle, like going green."

Do you want to be one of the cool kids, or do you want to help the planet? If you really, seriously, want to help the planet, then you should be in favor of anything that helps *billions* of people "go green," even if that makes you less hip.

Similarly, if you really, seriously think that the citizens of Denmark need better fitness training, you should applaud improved globogym offerings.

And, as an affiliate owner, you should be figuring out how to differentiate your product. You can't match the globo on price, but at those prices can they match your expertise and personal attention?

Katherine
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Anne Dayton

Profile:

I may be in the minority, but I think anything that gets more people to exercise is a good thing (yes even machines, body pump etc.)

I would love to see the gym I can walk to in my neighborhood offer Crossfit training as an option. Maybe then I would see at least one of the trainers occasionally in the squat rack instead of the guy who does crunches on the stability ball. And maybe I wouldn't get so many weird looks when I set up a triplet and and refuse to stop to socialize.

[To their credit, a couple of the trainers do use box jumps, full ROM squats (for those who can/or are willing) etc for some of their clients. Just wish I saw more of it.]
Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
And, as an affiliate owner, you should be figuring out how to differentiate your product. You can't match the globo on price, but at those prices can they match your expertise and personal attention?
Correct Katherine. If a globogym decides they want to offer Crossfit type classes, forget about matching them on price if you are a small affiliate owner, you'll lose. Figure out what you can offer that is different and you think is worth the extra cost and push that aspect of your business.

Pretty much what small shop owners need to do when a Wal-Mart moves in. If you are trying to sell the same stuff at their prices you'll go out of business. Got to aim for that niche (the long tail as some call it) and go for it.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
John D. Burch

Profile:

Do you REALLY believe that a globo gym, even if teaching the identical same material, could replicate what your CF box produces?

If so, you've lost already.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
CF just slapped their own name on a type of training that has been around for a long time and did a good job of marketing it.
Wrong.

Unless you're referring to all that marketing that HQ did by posting WODs...their advertising budget must be huge.