CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Jason Leavy

Profile:
What exercises can I do safely?

After reading the board a few weeks ago I self-diagnosed a case of 'golfer's elbow'. I believe I first triggered it doing the WOD that focuses exclusively on handstands and became increasingly conscious of it doing pull-ups and deadlifts in the subsequent two-three weeks (I know, I know, I should have stopped immediately!). I took a week off and went back, but if anything it was worse when I attempted a pull-up.
At that juncture I researched here and since then (approx two weeks) I've been using a 'Band-It' throughout most of the day, icing it (though admittedly not as frequently as I should), taking iboprofen and stretching exercises.
While I've halted the exercises that first aggrievated it, I've been surprised to find that even those that I thought would be 'safe' to perform like squats and thrusters seems to give me pain/aching in/around the elbow.
Others, like dips and burpees, don't appear to trouble it in the slightest.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, I haven't shown the slightest sign of recovery yet despite taking those measures.
As things stand, should I refrain from anything bar running, or am I OK to continue doing those exercises like dips that appear to be fine to perform? Relating to the above, are they any other 'safe' exercises you could recommend attempting, as abandoning all squats, deadlifts, pull-ups etc, is extremely frustrating?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: What exercises can I do safely?

Handstands do not typically cause anything related to medial epicondylitis. Though I guess it seems to be bothered typically by pulling exercises which is consistent with ME.

Where exactly is this pain at? Picture marked? What movements hurt? Need more information.

If it's chronic then you'll want ot use heat more than ice, and eccentrics to heal.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/
http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/04/ecc...-ideas-as.html
Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Jason Leavy

Profile:
Re: What exercises can I do safely?

Thank you for taking the time to respond Steven. I'll try and upload some photos, but based on everything I've seen and read it appears to be consistent with medial epicondylitis.
Given this, it's quite possible that I've put two and two together and got five with regards to the handstands, though I should have been more specific in that it was in the wake of doing several wall runs for the first time that I felt soreness.
However, it's undoubtedly pull-ups and to a lesser degree deadlifts that have brought it to the fore. As things stand it's only dips and bench press that don't appear to aggrevate it in the slightest, even squats lead to soreness in and around the elbow.