CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Kristin Kennard

Profile:
women protein & cardio

Hello fellow crossfitters!

I have been doing cross fit 3x a week for 4 weeks now and I have a few questions. I want to tone by body and also lose weight. I am definitely stronger, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Here are my three questions that I am hoping you can help me with. First off:

Should I be doing any kind of low intensity fat burning cardio on my off days?

Second:

How much protein should I be consuming?

Third:

I saw on some of these postings the term SS, what does that mean??

Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: women protein & cardio

1) no. use your rest days as REST days. If you want to do some "active rest" like kayaking, hiking, playing around on rings, etc, you CAN...but if you don't know how to add these things in properly, don't.

2) 1g pro per 1lb lean body mass. depending on your size, it's probably around 100-150g

3) SS = starting strength by mark rippetoe. google will help from there
Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Kristin Kennard

Profile:

Thanks Renee! I am wondering though... lean body mass, so that is not just my weight then.. right? Also, I am worried about bulking up, you think light cardio would be too much?

Last edited by Kristin Kennard : 08-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Range is more like 80-110 to be honest.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Range is more like 80-110 to be honest.
eh, i said it depends on your size.

i personally like nice round numbers to shoot for...it's far simpler that way: <100g carbs, >100g protein a day.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Kennard View Post
Thanks Renee! I am wondering though... lean body mass, so that is not just my weight then.. right? Also, I am worried about bulking up, you think light cardio would be too much?
How tall are you and how much do you weigh now?

Don't let fear of bulking up deprive you of the food you need to support your training. Get strong and fit, and you'll look fabulous. (Check out the Power Trio of Hotness thread in Stuff and Nonsense for a sense of what the top Crossfitting females look like ... and what the guys think of their looks.)

Please visit the Starting forum and look for my recent "How to fail at Crossfit" post.

Welcome, and good luck!

Katherine
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
You have to work really, really, REALLY REALLY hard to seriously "bulk up" by lifting weights. If you look around this board, you'll see how difficult it is for men to do. Men who are trying. Trying really really hard. And eating a metric f**kton of food every day.

Seriously, lifting heavy weights gives you awesome muscles. Please don't be afraid of them!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
lean body mass isn't what YOU weigh, it's what your muscle weighs. "average" women are around 20% bf. So if I weighed 160 and was 20% bf, my LBM is 128.

Also, read this in regards to bulking up: http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-for-women/ (sfw)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Kristin Kennard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How tall are you and how much do you weigh now?

Don't let fear of bulking up deprive you of the food you need to support your training. Get strong and fit, and you'll look fabulous. (Check out the Power Trio of Hotness thread in Stuff and Nonsense for a sense of what the top Crossfitting females look like ... and what the guys think of their looks.)

Please visit the Starting forum and look for my recent "How to fail at Crossfit" post.

Welcome, and good luck!

Katherine
Right now I weigh 134.6 and I am 5'5, I just turned 29, and for the past 8 years I fluctuate between 133 and 136 no matter what I do. I just have the tendency to bulk up rather than be long and lean. That is just how my body type is. I have pretty thick legs, butt, and arms and a very small waist. I am definitely not going to deprive myself of food. I LOVE food!! I just want to make sure I'm eating the right amount of calories and protein so that I don't counter balance what I am doing with my workouts.

Thanks for your advicE!!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Small waist, thick legs and butt? I fail to see the problem, could be due to the drool though. What were you doing when you bulked up? Be specific to number of sets and reps.