CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Perkins View Post
I realize I have only been on it a short time and it takes a few weeks to an indeterminate amount of time for the body to adapt. I have been planning my meals and shopping accordingly, however, I just find it hard to fill the gaps in calories with meat alone. I also have made some nut butter with coconut oil (great stuff). I am eating a lot of fruit. I am just hungry all the time (which is nothing new really) and losing muscle. My go-to foods used to be oatmeal, brown rice, and potatoes. I am happy to let those foods go, I think I just need to find new go-to foods that are allowed on the diet such as squash and celeriac and maybe some that aren't (sweet potatoes). I also love buckwheat pancakes, can't let those go. So, I intend to bend the diet somewhat (I feel I must) but I just was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Do you think bending the diet and eating certain non-paleo foods SPARINGLY will throw the diet? Is there a protocol anyone else uses to do this properly? How about the Paleo-Diet for athletes?
I think depriving yourself of necessary calories for the sake of a not particularly scientific dietary prescription is idiotic. If it's a choice between inadequate calories and oatmeal, oatmeal wins every time.

As far as how to bend it, I think that depends on why you are following the paleo diet to begin with. If you're lactose tolerant and your ancestors came from Northern Europe, you might feel differently about the paleo-compatibility of milk than if you're Chinese and milk makes your digestive tract implode.

Katherine
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Douglas Perkins

Profile:

Thank you all for the input and insight. Katherine, I am happy to go along with your train of thought! I am a culinary arts student at Schoolcraft College and I am very passionate about food, but more passionate about health and nutrition so giving up certain foods is definitely an internal conflict for me. So far, however, I have made some pretty wicked tasting Paleo meals for myself and my family. I think I'll have to start contributing some of my recipes, and start a file. This will make meal planning easier in the future. I also appreciate the honesty from Brian. Diet, such as everything in life, is 90 percent planning, 10 percent execution so you are absolutely right.

Greg, I train by myself at the moment, at the Fitness 19 in Farmington. I would definitely be down to get together and train sometime, thanks for the invite. Got bumper plates? Learning the oly-lifts with standards metal plates is a b****...

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
Brad Motzer

Profile:

Technically sweet potatoes aren't a Paleo food according to Loren Cordain. The whole Paleo Diet for Athletes book is about endurance athletes needing to have meals that aren't purely paleo to manage their training volume. Obviously, I agree with everyone else that you need to give it more time, but your quick answer should be fruits, not vegetables. Vegetables are much less caloricly dense than fruits and much lower glycemicly. With a degree in this and certifications from the NSCA and NASM in addition to the Level 1, I don't find the science of what we do as CrossFitters to be in line with the long, slow distance "get your miles in" way of training Loren Cordain is talking about in his second book. Try increasing your fruits (especially high glycemic load fruits) before abandoning or significantly altering this diet.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you all for the input and insight. Katherine, I am happy to go along with your train of thought! I am a culinary arts student at Schoolcraft College and I am very passionate about food, but more passionate about health and nutrition so giving up certain foods is definitely an internal conflict for me. So far, however, I have made some pretty wicked tasting Paleo meals for myself and my family.
I don't personally follow paleo, but as far as I can tell most traditional cooking is either near-paleo or can be modified to be. Grain is usually an accompaniment, not a critical element. If you're willing to add back dairy, almost the entire culinary world is at your feet. If you're the sort of person who relies on things that come in boxes and cans, paleo will be pretty tough, but if you actually know how to cook it's more of an interesting creative challenge.

Katherine
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you all for the input and insight. Katherine, I am happy to go along with your train of thought! I am a culinary arts student at Schoolcraft College and I am very passionate about food, but more passionate about health and nutrition so giving up certain foods is definitely an internal conflict for me. So far, however, I have made some pretty wicked tasting Paleo meals for myself and my family. I think I'll have to start contributing some of my recipes, and start a file. This will make meal planning easier in the future. I also appreciate the honesty from Brian. Diet, such as everything in life, is 90 percent planning, 10 percent execution so you are absolutely right.

Greg, I train by myself at the moment, at the Fitness 19 in Farmington. I would definitely be down to get together and train sometime, thanks for the invite. Got bumper plates? Learning the oly-lifts with standards metal plates is a b****...

Thanks again for the advice.
Yep, got bumper plates, a Pendlay Elite bar, a nice squat rack, rings, plyo boxes, dynamax balls, a GHD, a lifting platform, and a few other crossfit friendly toys. Shoot me a PM in the next few weeks with your # or email and I'll get in touch when I have some free time to have someone over to train at normal hours. My wife actually used to be a trainer at that Fitness 19 before we had kids.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Zach Hegwood

Profile:

I've been eating mostly Paleo for a few weeks now with a couple day hiccup on vacation and an occasional beer. I did have an "evacuation" the first 4 or 5 days as well but I'm running into a different problem now...

I get exercise migraines immediately after beginning my warm-ups for my workouts. Pullups seem to trigger it the fastest but just about anything will do it. I've heard to take Magnesium so I started that this week and it hasn't helped so far. I usually take a B complex before workouts, so could that be contributing? I drink over 64oz of water every day & get a good amount of sodium through beef jerky so I don't think it's a hydration issue. I've also been told to eat Omega 3 and 6. I eat a lot of almonds and take fish oil on a daily basis as well. I think those are high in omega 3, right? What foods give you omega 6? Anyway, I'm about to go to the doctor because it's a daily thing now. I'm not new to crossfit... I've been off and on for 3 years now and have been on since April & these headaches didn't start until I changed my diet. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Hegwood View Post
I've been eating mostly Paleo for a few weeks now with a couple day hiccup on vacation and an occasional beer. I did have an "evacuation" the first 4 or 5 days as well but I'm running into a different problem now...

I get exercise migraines immediately after beginning my warm-ups for my workouts. Pullups seem to trigger it the fastest but just about anything will do it. I've heard to take Magnesium so I started that this week and it hasn't helped so far. I usually take a B complex before workouts, so could that be contributing? I drink over 64oz of water every day & get a good amount of sodium through beef jerky so I don't think it's a hydration issue. I've also been told to eat Omega 3 and 6. I eat a lot of almonds and take fish oil on a daily basis as well. I think those are high in omega 3, right? What foods give you omega 6? Anyway, I'm about to go to the doctor because it's a daily thing now. I'm not new to crossfit... I've been off and on for 3 years now and have been on since April & these headaches didn't start until I changed my diet. Thanks for your help.
I wouldn't go searching for omega 6s. They are both necessary and essential fatty acids, but you can find omega 6s everywhere: nuts, animal fat, corn, grains, etc.

The "ideal" ratio is 2:1 omega 6mega 3. the standard american diet is 20:1. just take your fish oil, eat your salmon, and don't worry about it too much
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motzer View Post
Technically sweet potatoes aren't a Paleo food according to Loren Cordain.
Not 100% sure but I think Cordain has backed off of that statement.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
Scott Donchak

Profile:

You could try a Paleo with dairy diet.

Basically just do paleo + whole milk. Relatively cheap, simple source of fat and protein and its calorically dense.

Protein powder post workout is excellent too. (I'm not sure if that's considered paleo already, I'm assuming not.)

Also, in before CF anti-dairy rage.

Last edited by Scott Donchak : 08-11-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #20
Zach Hegwood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
I wouldn't go searching for omega 6s. They are both necessary and essential fatty acids, but you can find omega 6s everywhere: nuts, animal fat, corn, grains, etc.

The "ideal" ratio is 2:1 omega 6mega 3. the standard american diet is 20:1. just take your fish oil, eat your salmon, and don't worry about it too much
I'm not really worried about the omega 3 & 6 thing... Someone at my gym suggested that might be a possible cause of my migraines. I've had exercise induced migraines before (very sporadically... like one or two a year) but could usually attribute them to something I did the night before or that day. The problem lately is they've happened at every workout and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong w/ Paleo because I didn't get them before changing my diet.