CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Erika Fischer

Profile:
experience with gluten intolerance?

Has anybody else experienced this?

The morning after eating 2-3 slices of Papa Johns pizza (I've narrowed it down to), I wake up feeling terribly bruised just about everywhere (from my neck all of the way down to my elbows/knees). There aren't any visible signs- just a tenderness like I had the shenanigans squeezed out of me. It will last for about two days, then go away. This has happened on four separate occasions.

Background: I am a 22 year old female who has a moderately healthy diet. I've been loosely trying to stay away from wheat, as my dad and grandmother have gluten intolerance (not celiac disease- they're different). I get plenty of rest and water. Every couple of weeks I'll take a couple of days off from the typical 3 on, 1 off crossfit cycle.

Obviously, I suspect that it has to do with the increased amounts of processed wheat that I'm eating. Just as obviously, I should transition to a diet that doesn't include this, even if it isn't the source of this odd tenderness. I've been considering going paleo, but my husband adamantly does not want to deprive himself of these delicious foods. Are there any websites that have meals that easily transition from paleo or are just so delicious that he won't know he's eating healthier?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: experience with gluten intolerance?

I have no experience with that as I wake up feeling chipper and bright as a daisy even after eating pizza. But that does suck if it does that to you.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If your husband refuses to give up a food that makes you sick, you have more problems than gluten intolerance...

With that said, there are plenty of intermediate steps between Papa John's and completely Paleo. Do you have a similar reaction to other gluten-containing foods like pasta or bread? What about other foods with lots of cheese? (Could be the dairy, not the wheat.) What about other brands of pizza, or if you make your own? (Could be some other ingredient unique to Papa John's.) Have you seen an allergist and asked about gluten specifically? Have you tried giving up wheat for a week or two to see how you feel?

Katherine
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Erika Fischer

Profile:

Katherine,

I don't get a similar reaction from eating moderate amounts of regular bread, cheese, or even pizza that I've made from scratch (it was delicious ). Thus, I don't suspect that I'm allergic to gluten, but I've never actually gotten this tested. I did go without eating gluten for 3-4 weeks. I felt good, but it wasn't night and day.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Fischer View Post
Katherine,

I don't get a similar reaction from eating moderate amounts of regular bread, cheese, or even pizza that I've made from scratch (it was delicious ). Thus, I don't suspect that I'm allergic to gluten, but I've never actually gotten this tested. I did go without eating gluten for 3-4 weeks. I felt good, but it wasn't night and day.
If Papa John's is the only thing that makes you sick, then just stay away from Papa John's. Seems pretty simple to me...

Katherine
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Erika Fischer

Profile:

Of course.

I just wanted to know if anyone would be able to offer up a possible explanation or has experienced something like this. It's just so bizarre.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Are there any websites that have meals that easily transition from paleo or are just so delicious that he won't know he's eating healthier?

Thanks a bunch.
http://everydaypaleo.com/ wfs

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...print-recipes/ wfs
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Of course.

I just wanted to know if anyone would be able to offer up a possible explanation or has experienced something like this. It's just so bizarre.
My guess would be that you're sensitive to some random ingredient that's unique to their pizza. Since their recipes are trade secrets, narrowing it down would probably be more trouble than it's worth unless you stumble across something else that causes a similar reaction. If you really care, you could try a white pizza (no tomato sauce) and/or a cheeseless pizza to figure out if the problem is the crust, the sauce, or their cheese blend. But since getting it "right" means being sore for two days, I'm not sure I'd bother.

Katherine
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yes, doesn't your husband like pizza from somewhere else?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Erika Fischer

Profile:

Thanks for those web sites. Everydaypaleo.com in particular looks great.

As far as Papa John's goes, I don't think it'd be too hard to convince my husband to get hot wings instead of pizza. Everybody wins.