CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Joshua Pierce

Profile:
Re: Fun with salads

Duck breast and butter lettuce, toss with sour cherries, duck fat, and balsamic vinegar. One of my favorites.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
My favorite restaurant in Philadelphia has this amazing salad. It's the only restaurant meal I really, really crave.

It has: Baby spinach, dried cherries, dried cranberries, or orange slices depending on season, pistachios, shaved sharp parmesan, and SMOKED DUCK. And some kind of delicious citrus mint vinaigrette. It's incredible.
Oh yum. That almost sounds like a reason for a trip back east all by itself. What's the name of the place?

Katherine
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
Jen Jacobs

Profile:

If I'm lazy, I'll get a Cobb salad from Chop't for lunch. If I have time in the morning I'll make my own version of it.

-Romaine, arugala, spinach
-tomatoes
-hard boiled egg
-2 strips of bacon
-4oz leftover grilled chicken
-avocado
-olive oil

Simple and delicious. Throw it in a 64oz (8C) Gladware container and I'm good to go.

Jen
Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Oh yum. That almost sounds like a reason for a trip back east all by itself. What's the name of the place?

Katherine
Here's the exact menu description. I totally forgot the BEST VERSION. In summer they use fresh strawberries. :ROOLING RIGHT NOW ON MY LAPTOP::

"Smoked Duck with Strawberries, Pistachios, Grana Padano, Spinach and Citrus-Mint Vinaigrette"

It's called Tria WFS. There are two locations in Center City Philadelphia (they may be opening a 3rd soon near UPenn). Their focus is on wine, beer, and cheese (celebrating fermentation in all its forms - their phrase, not mine). It's pretty much the most amazing small plate restaurant ever. And it's part of my reasons that I really don't choose to maintain strict Paleo all the time. Food enjoyment is a big thing for me.

I am determined to recreate this salad someday but I imagine there are some anonymous "restaurant" factors that I'll never be able to match. Probably scads of fat? Or my lack of knowledge about smoking duck? haha.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Good thread!

Every salad needs a main course, and leaves do not count as a main course! I always need to have either fish or meat in my salads.

Does it still count as a salad if it's cooked? If so, I've got a few of my favorites here:

1/2 lb ground beef
2 baby bok choy heads, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
1 oz almonds
2 tbsp olive oil

Brown the beef thoroughly, mixed in the veggies and oil until soft, top with almonds.

1 can bumblebee wild pink salmon
1 oz muenster cheese, diced
handful chopped baby carrots
1/2 cucumber, chopped
2 cups yu choy, chopped
1-2 tbsp vingar
1 tbsp canola oil

In pan, cook yu choy, vinegar, oil, cucumbers and carrots until soft. Add in the cheese until melted, and then add in the salmon until warm. Can be served warm or cold.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
I am determined to recreate this salad someday but I imagine there are some anonymous "restaurant" factors that I'll never be able to match. Probably scads of fat? Or my lack of knowledge about smoking duck? haha.
The experiments could be yummy, even if unsuccessful.

Smoking the duck should be completely doable with a home grill or smoker. They may have a magic blend of wood chips, but you should be able to come close.

Replicating the vinaigrette is probably going to be tough without a lot of experimenting. There are so many possible variations. Or you could cheat and either buy their cookbook if they have one or beg the chef for the recipe.

Please report back.

Katherine
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Yes. The vinaigrette is probably the determining factor in this. Anyone have a good recipe?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Andrew D White

Profile:

hickory and apple wood chips used in a smoker does well on fatty poultry like duck.
You can trim some of the fat off before smoking, but duck fat is where it be at.

I got an idea for a balsamic dressing from a local restaurant: Balsamic vinegar and bacon drippings. It comes with the "spinach" salad at a local pizza joint that's really just a bed of spinach with 12 strips of bacon, some tomatoes and onion thrown in for looks, and that's it.

The balsamic bacon dressing actually wilts the spinach when you pour it on since it's served hot. Very very cool.

I like getting a rotisserie bird at the store when I'm short on time. Chop up some of the breast and leg meat and then toss the whole mess (salad and bird) in a bowl, working it with your hands, and forget dressing. Spices are nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
Kristin Kennard

Profile:

What do you think of this salad?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutri...ack-bean-salad
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Yes. The vinaigrette is probably the determining factor in this. Anyone have a good recipe?
There's one towards the bottom of this (wfs) page. Haven't tried this recipe, but it doesn't take long to Google "paleo vinaigrette" for other options if this one sucks.

- Mark