CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: Who has leaned out just by cutting dairy?

Same with me, cut it out and lost 10lbs in a month. And no, it didn't change my calorie intake, I replaced the protein and fat with other sources when I cut the dairy.

I also noticed my breathing and overall sinus health improve. When I have a bowl of ice cream or even cheese pizza as a cheat I snore and generally feel a "closed up" feeling in my nostrils. And it's not a lactose thing, even whey does it to me. The only thing that doesn't really bother me is heavy cream as most of the protein has been removed.

I began a SS program and added some whole milk to the mix, i pudged up pretty quickly with just 2 cups a day.

As always your mileage may vary, everyone responds differently. I obviously have an allergy so it probably effects me more-so than most.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Same with me, cut it out and lost 10lbs in a month. And no, it didn't change my calorie intake, I replaced the protein and fat with other sources when I cut the dairy.

I also noticed my breathing and overall sinus health improve. When I have a bowl of ice cream or even cheese pizza as a cheat I snore and generally feel a "closed up" feeling in my nostrils. And it's not a lactose thing, even whey does it to me. The only thing that doesn't really bother me is heavy cream as most of the protein has been removed.

I began a SS program and added some whole milk to the mix, i pudged up pretty quickly with just 2 cups a day.

As always your mileage may vary, everyone responds differently. I obviously have an allergy so it probably effects me more-so than most.
I've slowly crept up to about 2 cups a day also and surprise! My weight loss stalled if not reversed - even though my macros seem fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I pretty much stay away from it for all intents and purposes. Cheese is really the only thing I eat now that's dairy. Very occasionally ice cream. I cut it at the same time as grain and I'm still working on sugar, so any leaning out I've experienced may or may not be attributed to the lack of dairy. I WILL tell you though that my skin has cleared up IMMENSELY. And I don't have the stomach issues that I once had (that I thought were just normal every day feelings). And I don't feel as bloated.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
If you have a true allergy your body also may be retaining water when exposed to the allergen (in your case, according to you, milk protein). That's different than food-related weight gain.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
If you have a true allergy your body also may be retaining water when exposed to the allergen (in your case, according to you, milk protein). That's different than food-related weight gain.
Definitely could be it. All I know is I only upped my calories by 500 a day and in two weeks I gain 8 lbs and almost 2.5 inches on my waist. I dropped the milk, but kept the calories and the macros the same and I didn't drop any weight but my waist went down an inch.

Oh and my wife was happy I wasn't snoring anymore.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #16
Darla Powell

Profile:

Ok. No dairy for me. I will report back after 30 days. I got my coconut milk standing by.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #17
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I eat/drink dairy like I may never be able to get it again and I am lean as can be.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
I eat/drink dairy like I may never be able to get it again and I am lean as can be.
diff strokes -- diff folks

No harm in trying 30 days non-dairy to see its effect.

- Mark
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I once stayed in an ecovillage in Denmark, and out of all the cows they had there for milking, they kept some of the milk they milked everyday, and they drank it raw. I heard several testimonials of people who got all sick from regular milk who were now gulping down a bunch of raw milk. I'm a firm believer that raw milk is much, much better than pasteurized milk. And this is nothing new, people have been saying this for a very long time (ie: Pottenger studies with cats, very long ago).

Since I can't find raw milk, I don't drink it. I do eat butter though, mostly with broccoli.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
diff strokes -- diff folks

No harm in trying 30 days non-dairy to see its effect.

- Mark

Aye. It's not that much of a blessing anyway. Gaining weight, which is my goal, is superbly difficult.