CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Robert Crossland

Profile:
Need Help - At end of my rope

I've been doing Crossfit faithfully 4-6 times per week since the first week of April (4 months almost).

I started out pitifully out of shape. I weighed 265 pounds. The warm-ups were almost the end of me. I could barely walk up stairs. I couldn't do a single push-up. I couldn't do a pull-up.

Fast forward 4 months. I STILL weigh 265 pounds. I can do the workouts as RX'ed a lot of the time (with substitutions for muscle-ups, handstand push-ups and some other body weight exercises, though I can do pull-ups and push-ups now).

I have been using a tape measure. My arms have grown, my thighs have gotten bigger, my chest etc. and they are all noticeably much harder and look far nicer. However, my problem, my gut. It has been about the same size since I started, and will go down a couple of inches and then back up. When I measure it, it goes from between 46 and 49 inches, sometimes up, sometimes down. It won't go away. It won't budge. I'm very frustrated since this is the only thing that has ever looked fat. I've never had jello arms or legs, just a big gut. Four months and I still have it, it's still the same size and I still weigh the same.

I started on Paleo a good month and a half before I started Crossfit. I heard about it first. I was fairly strict at first. I did paleo very well for a few months. I started cheating once in a while, but it wasn't out of control until recently.

Now I won't lie, I drink sodas and cheat quite a bit now, but I'm still a lot more conscience of what I eat than I used to be. I used to drink 12 a day and now I drink maybe 2 sodas. I don't go back for fourths or anything like I used to and watch portion sizes. Yeah, I know it's bad, and I've halfway given up on losing the gut and feel like I'm denying myself and not getting any of the benefit. Four months seems like long enough to at least see a difference but I don't. I don't know what I screwed up as other people say they did crossfit and paleo and lost tons of weight, but I damn sure haven't. I don't like thinking of giving up but I'm really frustrated.

And before anyone asks, yes I am doing crossfit for function not just looks, but when you weigh 265 it drastically limits your function.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Need Help - At end of my rope

" I drink sodas and cheat quite a bit now"
Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

"Abs (a.k.a. the "gut" you are speaking of) are made in the kitchen."

Sounds like you already know what the problem is - now you just need to reign it in a little bit. Portion control and quality control will be the biggest factors.

Good luck - keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Robert Crossland

Profile:

Maybe I'm not asking correctly.

I've NEVER gotten results from my diet. I was good on it for three months and nothing. It didn't work what I did. I had maybe a cheat meal a week for the first three months on Paleo (though I was only doing crossfit for one of those). Nada.

When you go from eating a box of hamburger helper and drinking 3 sodas at dinner to paleo for 3 months and it changes nothing it's hard to convince yourself that it is working for you, thus the cheating over the past two months or so.

Even with the cheating now, if you just consider the difference between then and now, I'm still probably thousands of calories intake a day less than I was then. I should have seen something.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Hows your sleep, how old are you?

When you wonder if you should have a cheat meal ask yourself "have I gotten to where I want to be"? If you haven't no cheat meal, if you have go ahead. SOme people will be able to have a crappier die than you and be thinner. Nothing you can do about that.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Robert Crossland

Profile:

I sleep my 8 hours a night, pretty soundly. My xfit workouts ensure that.

I'm 33 in September.

I am 5'11, have five kids, and an insanely busy life, though most of it is spent sitting down since I am a software developer (roughly 8-12 hours a day are spent in a chair, though I do try to get up once every hour or so and meander around). I'm pretty high-strung and stressed out and some of my family thinks that is what I can't get rid of the gut, though that doesn't sound likely to me.

I don't know, I don't want to give up, but it's getting hard to justify the extra money I spend and all the extra time I put into this.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" I'm pretty high-strung and stressed out and some of my family thinks that is what I can't get rid of the gut, though that doesn't sound likely to me."

It is. Stress increase cortisol (as does training). It leads to fat stored around the mid section. Also, getting your hormones checked (testosterone, estrogen, etc).

CHill out, relax, it will do wonders.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

Stop the soda and cheating.

Try walking an hour a day on top of your current CFit program.

This walk will burn calories and also provide quiet time to help reduce your stress.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I would order Mark Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint" book and give that a read. It integrates everything from food choices, exercise programs, lifestyle, sleep, recovery, and anything else you can think of pertaining to fitness.

Jamie is right, the stress is having more of an effect than you would think. And the sugar alone from two sodas per day is probably more grams of carbs than I eat in a normal day. Too much sugar causes high insulin levels which make it hard to burn fat.

Google "whole 30" for a good program to completely reset your body and how it deals with food.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

How can you say that you went from being barely able to move to doing Crossfit workouts as RX'd (or almost) and yet you claim that changing your diet has had no results? Your PERFORMANCE is your result. Look around on these boards and you will see at some time or another many people have had to decide if the nutrition changes you have to make (cutting calories, obsessing over macro ratios, etc etc) to see your abs are worth the drop in performance.

Additionally, sometimes it takes more than three months to get the results you're looking for. YOu didn't get fat in three months, why would you expect your abs to pop up after three months of healthy eating.

Finally, cheating a lot does not mean you're eating Paleo. What constitutes cheating a lot for you? A pint of ice cream every night? That's not gonna get you very far.

Keep fighting the good fight, man, and ease up on yourself mentally. Try eating CLEAN and I mean clean for a couple of months and tell us if you don't see more body comp results.