CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #21
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Steroids

That is one use of steroids or PEDs in general, but it isn't the only one, nor the most common.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Eric Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lyell View Post
I'm curious about what people think for non-sport use where performance is still paramount. Say firefighteres and LEO/MIl - we give our fighter pilots amphetamines to make them sharper, what do people think about foot soldiers taking steroids to possibly help keep themselves and their fellow soldiers alive?
I have a friend stationed in S. Korea right now and he has told me about how a lot of the soldiers there are taking some sort of anabolic, since you can so easily purchase them there. It seems like its a "dont ask dont tell" type of situation.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
Andrew D White

Profile:

My own personal experience with prescribed steroids resulted in atrial fibrillation and me on an ER gurney being cardioverted to get my heart back in rhythm. This was after I spent 5+ hours with my pulse at 185+ and two hours being pumped full of pulse reducing chemicals to the point I could taste them in the back of my mouth.
It took me 6 months to get back to normal after they zapped me with the milijoules that put me back in sinus rhythm. It was another 6 months after that before I could get back to strength training beyond a Jillian Michaels workout.
None for me, thanks. (though I admit my experience was unusual.)

I think it's the choice of individuals, but they shouldn't hide behind their job as an excuse to use them.

None of the guys in the 82nd Airborne who dug in and saved the world from Nazi Germany could have won a strongman competition or the Crossfit games.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

What were you prescirbed? I have several friends with a prescription for cyponate and love the stuff.

"None of the guys in the 82nd Airborne who dug in and saved the world from Nazi Germany could have won a strongman competition or the Crossfit games."

No, but would have being able to do those things have helped them?

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 07-27-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #25
Andrew D White

Profile:

Prednisone 16mg for a 2 week cycle.
I would have actually sworn that if you'd removed and examined my heart that it would have had the edges singed from the voltage. I had 2nd degree burns around where the zigzag pads were applied to my chest too.
Not fun.
As I said, my experience was an exception. The doctor, who actually looked like a guy about a year into powerlifting, was very interested in my body chemistry and quizzed me for about an hour as to what I ate, etc. He concluded that my heart was just "sensitive" to the prednizone. Said it happens sometimes...

Soldiers:
I would say not necessarily. Nowadays with the full battle rattle, it's an easier conclusion to make that it would help.

I'm just making the point that it ain't necessarily the size of the dog in the fight.
The psychological effect of being physically larger is a benefit of strength training, if for no other reason than the boost of confidence in the face of danger/threat.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #26
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I'm just making the point that it ain't necessarily the size of the dog in the fight.
The psychological effect of being physically larger is a benefit of strength training, if for no other reason than the boost of confidence in the face of danger/threat."

Steroids do not make necessarily make you larger. They can if that is hot you are training, but they dramatically increase healing and recovery rates. There are lifters in the smaller classes that use and they don't get much bigger but they are strong as hell.

And Prednisone is not an anbolic, it is a catabolic, the opposite of what a PED is.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #27
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I'm just making the point that it ain't necessarily the size of the dog in the fight.
The psychological effect of being physically larger is a benefit of strength training, if for no other reason than the boost of confidence in the face of danger/threat."

Steroids do not make necessarily make you larger. They can if that is hot you are training, but they dramatically increase healing and recovery rates. There are lifters in the smaller classes that use and they don't get much bigger but they are strong as hell.

And Prednisone is not an anbolic, it is a catabolic, the opposite of what a PED is.
Yep. Good points.

The difference between anabolic and catabolic steroids is a good one to broach. However, I brought up my example to illustrate that one can have a sensitivity to a type of steroid that can result in a serious reaction and not know until it's too late. Most people I know who are pro steroid take a "hey y'all watch this" approach to them and downplay the side effects.
Since I've had this reaction to Prednizone, I'm not about to take any steroid, anabolic or catabolic again unless I'm on some kind of hormone therapy when I get older. (no one wants man boobs.)

I just watched a family friend die last year who spent 20+ years using steroids and working in law enforcement. His kidneys and liver were shot and this was a major cause of his death.
On the flip side of that, if he had done the proper checkups on his organs and regulated his intake of dbol (and other steroids) he'd probably still be with us.

It's a more complicated issue than just upping the dose and lifting more weight. Much more so than the average person likes to believe. That is to say the question "Does steroid = good or bad?" is overly simplistic.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"On the flip side of that, if he had done the proper checkups on his organs and regulated his intake of dbol (and other steroids) he'd probably still be with us."

WHich would have been facilitated by anabolic steroids being legal. Which they were.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

So why exactly are they illegal again? Is this a deal like marijuana where it's illegal but really shouldn't be?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

They were legal until 1991. The FDA and DEA and I think the AMA all said they should remain legal, but congress made them illegal anyway.