CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Chris Ross

Profile:
expanding on CFT

Hi

not sure if this has been discussed before but was wondering if the idea of an expanded and more wholistic CFT might be useful, something that includes a score for some of the key benchmark WODS as well as DL,Sq and Press.

Maybe a way to get a Total score for:
DL
SQ
Press
Fran
5km run

or something similar mixing strenght and the benchmark metcons.

Whilst CFT is great and is obviously meant to be a counter-point to the powerlifting big 3, I think that alot of Cfer's would love something a bit more representative of the scope of things we do.

any thoughts on this? Would it be too big a task to narrow down which elements were included and which were left out?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: expanding on CFT

What would be the point of such a broad based metric? If you want to gauge your personal improvement, you can easily, and to a great degree more effectively, do that with the more specific benchmarks. The only purpose for the type of metric you describe would be to compare yourself with others. That type of "my metric is bigger than your metric" mentality is greatly at odds with the philosophy we try to promote with the general CrossFit practitioner. Within the community at large we try to promote the idea of improvement for it's own sake, the pursuit of an optimal state of personal fitness. If you really wish to gauge yourself against others, we have a metric for that; it's called competition.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You mean somehow to compare people across broad time and modal domains? Wherever would we find something like that?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ross View Post
Hi

not sure if this has been discussed before but was wondering if the idea of an expanded and more wholistic CFT might be useful, something that includes a score for some of the key benchmark WODS as well as DL,Sq and Press.

Maybe a way to get a Total score for:
DL
SQ
Press
Fran
5km run

or something similar mixing strenght and the benchmark metcons.

Whilst CFT is great and is obviously meant to be a counter-point to the powerlifting big 3, I think that alot of Cfer's would love something a bit more representative of the scope of things we do.

any thoughts on this? Would it be too big a task to narrow down which elements were included and which were left out?
I think you misunderstand the point of the CFT. Its a benchmark, but a benchmark of strength not the full spectrum of physical ability. Also, not sure what you mean by "counterpoint to the big 3"...it was developed to test strength in the context of CF (as the press is more widely used/applied than the bench press).

If you're looking for a competitive representation of what CF does...compete in the CF games.

EDIT: For a specific contest or full representation of all domains, check out "Towards Better Military PT Tests" in the CFJ. The author has a 5-category test of strength, endurance, stamina, etc. and hits everything except for gymnastics.

Last edited by Daniel Higgins : 07-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Alexander Martin

Profile:

It looks as though you really just put CFT together with some metcons/running. Cant you take your CFT, your fran time, and a 5k time and figure out what your numbers are?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Chris Ross

Profile:

people compare their CFT and Wod times all the time around here. People are naturally curious about where they fit in the grand scheme of CF athletes, especially those in there own age and weight bracket.

All I'm saying is that having something in the same ilk as the CFT, but covering maybe 10 or so of the key WODS or strength tests would be an interesting concept. Kind of like a decathlon score.

A way of measuring your own progress in GPP.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Nolan Womack

Profile:

http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...are/2010/men/# WFS

This compares the competitors of the CrossFit Games across several different domains, which may be something that you're looking for. CFT is just a strength focused benchmark, however I believe the Games test people on different aspects...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Chris Ross

Profile:

thanks for the link Nolan, that's basically exactly what I was thinking of. Someone has picked those specific parameters and wods in the tables because they encompass the spectrum of some of what measureable GPP is within CF.

All i would be suggesting is that the scores/times within the table could be totalled to provide a single figure or score.

I dunno, you could call it 'CrossFit Complete' or something.

Patent pending!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Ken Weber

Profile:

I think the problem with something like the 'expanded' total you are suggesting is that it would tend to head down the road to a standardized physical fitness test. This could obviously lead to individuals dedicating more of their training time towards improving their stats on those particular events rather then trying to build a "broad, general, and inclusive fitness."
Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We use a few different totals at my box:

Power Clean, Squat, Bench and Deadlift

Clean, Bench and OHS

And the CFT of course. They roll around every couple of months. We just started doing them this year, so we haven't had time to really baseline them.