CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:
Programming For Strength Advice

Hi Guys,

I have been doing Crossfit at a local affiliate 3x a week for 3 months. I love it! I have made lots of gains and really enjoy and look forward to working out with my coaches and like most folks, love the community feel and the friends I make.

However, I am extremely lacking on my squats and deadlifts-- admittedly never having done lower body workouts until I started doing this three months ago.

Outside of my affiliate, I have access to a power cage with olympic bumper set, rings, a 1 pood KB, a pullup bar (I cannot kip there due to the stability of the cage though), and a dip belt.

My numbers are as follows

6 Foot, 200 Lbs 26 years old

BS ~ 150
OHS ~ 100
DL ~ 200
Bench ~200
Shoulder Press ~ 120
Strict Chins~ 15

So yeah, I can definitely see I have an extremely undeveloped lower body.

I want to add two strength workouts to my 3x a week Crossfit. Quitting Crossfit and doing SS is not an option for me right now, and SS + 3x a week Crossfit is not going to be realistic.

I was considering Pavels' PTTP using Deadlifts and Squats or a 5x5 Strong LIfts two times a week, with increasing weights per set, so I can warm up to high weights. I know there are at least a few folks doing something like this here, so please let me know what works for you. THANKS!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:
Re: Programming For Strength Advice

Check out the crossfit strength bias (cfsb) thread at the top of this forum. It focuses on squats, deadlift, front squats, and shoulder press along with metcons. It's been working great for me. Crossfit Football is another good option.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:

My access to the gym outside of my affiliate is limited to barbell and rings, so not sure how I can do metcons as part of CFSB and CF Football.

Last edited by Mikhail Rubinshteyn : 05-30-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Lots of options but because of your fairly low strength I'd keep it real simple.

If I were in your position I would reduce to 2 days of CF at the box, and then do 2 days of SS style workouts. So on the strength days do either:

Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

or

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Power Clean 5x3

If you start low, sleep a lot, and eat reasonably (not talking gomad here) you should be able to keep adding weight here for a worthwhile amount of time. Once this stalls out then go back to the drawing board for something more complicated.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Or . . . Another simple program would be similar to the old CF Witchita Falls Program. Just add 2 strength days, one with squats, press, and chinups, one with deadlift and bench press. It would be as follows:

Day 1: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Chinups 3xfailure
Day 2: CF
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Deadlift 1x5, Bench 3x5
Day 5: CF
Day 6: CF
Day 7: Rest

As with my first suggestion, start out light and add weight every week.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:

Awesome. I really like the second option.

For movements with multiple sets, should I aim for the same weight across all sets or ramp them up?

Also, is there a specific warm up for the strength days? Should I just do a few high rep sets with an extremely low weight?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

All your questions will be answered in the most holy of all lifting books . . . Starting Strength.

Do sets across, which means the same weight on all sets. As for warmup, you should follow Mark Rippetoe's warmup advice in Starting Strength, which is 4 to 5 sets of 5 or less reps with escalating weight.

Seriously, though, get the book. If you are going to be doing supplementary lifting you should absolutely educate yourself on how to perform those lifts well, and no other book will give you a better explanation of how to perform the fundamental barbell lifts.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:

Thanks again David. I own the book, I will re-read it for a refresher course but do remember some of the bigger concepts in it. I will follow the program you mentioned starting today and see how my linear progression goes. Much appreciated!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Here's the old CFWF program (WFS)--it's a four day a week linear progression program which also gives you two metcons per week so you'll maintain some GPP. I did this for about three months and by the end I was lifting more than my previous 1RMs for all my working sets (i.e. 3 sets of 5 for squat, bench, and press, 5 sets of 3 for power cleans, 1 set of 5 for deadlifts). You can tailor the metcons to whatever you need work on as long as it's not including a lot of stuff that'll mess up your recovery and your next strength day...i.e. doing 100+ air squats or pushups is probably a bad idea, but doing some combination of sprint intervals, KB work, pullups, box jumps, burpees, tire flips/drags, sledgehammer strikes, row intervals, etc is good. Think CFFB or hybrid style heavy metcons. But with your starting numbers, you should be able to keep adding 5lbs to the bar every workout for a prolonged period of time.

Aside from just getting stronger, what are your goals? To maintain some GPP, get better at a sport, etc?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

You're a 200 lbs male, have been training for 3 months and only squat 150 lbs and deadlift 200???

Seriously, you should focus solely and totally on strength for at least 3-4 months. You are ridiculously weak. I am not saying that to be mean.

If you MUST continue with met-cons etc., then I think some of the suggestions here are pretty good.