CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Stephanie Vincent

Profile:
CF after Meniscus repair

been loving cf for 7 months now, but three weeks ago i had my lateral meniscus repaired (not removed) this means a longer rehab,but a better future with a strong functioning knee. I am in a brace for the rest of this month and cautioned strongly to allow myself to heal. I have been doing 1:1s with a coach at my box and stuff at home, all upperbody. I am hoping to return to classes (with lots of modification) after the brace is off. I am banned from deep squatting and running for a total of 4 months.

I am curious to talk to anyone who has already been through this.

Any Specific Exersize suggestions (besides the obvious) please send them my way. I rowed last night just using my arms did 1k around 5m :-) great to get the blood flowing!! there are lots of scaling options and creative ways around things, i just need to find them!

Last edited by Stephanie Vincent : 05-06-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: CF after Meniscus repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Vincent View Post
been loving cf for 7 months now, but three weeks ago i had my lateral meniscus repaired (not removed) this means a longer rehab,but a better future with a strong functioning knee. I am in a brace for the rest of this month and cautioned strongly to allow myself to heal. I have been doing 1:1s with a coach at my box and stuff at home, all upperbody. I am hoping to return to classes (with lots of modification) after the brace is off. I am banned from deep squatting and running for a total of 4 months.

I am curious to talk to anyone who has already been through this.

Any Specific Exersize suggestions (besides the obvious) please send them my way. I rowed last night just using my arms did 1k around 5m :-) great to get the blood flowing!! there are lots of scaling options and creative ways around things, i just need to find them!
Do you mean to tell me that your surgeon did not already hook you up with a physical therapist to rehab your knee?

I had met my PT before I even had my meniscectomy. I forget how long it was between surgery and beginning PT, but it was not long... and we were definitely working on my lower body with exercises, massages, stretches and E-Stim.

Something does not seem right to me about this.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Pat Quigley

Profile:

Stephanie, I had a piece of torn meniscus removed in one knee in 2004. Had Pt postop. Long story short I cannot run on pavement anymore. I need synvisc injects every 6-12 months. Now I had an MRI on the right knee. Torn meniscus and a few other things. This tear is non impinging--so I think I can live w. this one. Swells for a day or so after ea. work out. Been doing crossfit for 18+ months. I have an othopedic consult scheduled for the day after my Level 1 cert.

I don't know what the surgeon will recommend. If it is surgery like the last, I am thinking of getting a consult at the Stone Clinic for repair or reconstruction. Is that where you had yours done? What are you doing to keep good blood flow into the area?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Sean is right. You shouldn't have to be asking these questions here. Your doc should have either already provided you with what you need to know or, better yet, referred you to a PT who has experience with treating folks who have had meniscus surgery. As common as this surgery is, what you should be doing for rehab depends to some degree on your age, physical condition, the exact nature of the surgery, and how quickly you progress. I'd be looking around right now for a good PT.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Pat Quigley

Profile:

I think the feedback is not correct. This was not a usual procedure. The meniscus was repaired--not cut out. The surgeon immobilized the joint. Pt can not be done until the joint is no longer immobilized.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Stephanie Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Do you mean to tell me that your surgeon did not already hook you up with a physical therapist to rehab your knee?
I didn't mention it but yes, i am going to PT too in addition to modified CF. The Physical therapist is having me do most of the exersizes at home. Since I had a repair not a removal, I am really limited in PT for the first 4-6 weeks. There main concern is healing. After that she will be able to start pushing me in rehab.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Stephanie Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Quigley View Post
I don't know what the surgeon will recommend. If it is surgery like the last, I am thinking of getting a consult at the Stone Clinic for repair or reconstruction. Is that where you had yours done? What are you doing to keep good blood flow into the area?

My surgeon basically told me since i am 30 and active it was in my best interest for him to repair if the tissue still looked good. He explained that the longer you go with the tear, the less chance of it healing since there is little blood flow to the area. i am thinking they opt out of repairing on older people or people that aren't active because taking the chance of a 2nd surgery if the repair does not heal isn't worth it. I cannot imagine having to have a second surgery to remove if it does not heal, however i know that healing is my best option if i want to have any chance on a knee thats normal and doesn't cause me a lot of pain the rest of my life. i live in pa, my surgeon is Dr. Amann and he is a sports do.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Stephanie Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Sean is right. You shouldn't have to be asking these questions here. Your doc should have either already provided you with what you need to know or, better yet, referred you to a PT who has experience with treating folks who have had meniscus surgery. As common as this surgery is, what you should be doing for rehab depends to some degree on your age, physical condition, the exact nature of the surgery, and how quickly you progress. I'd be looking around right now for a good PT.
I was not asking about PT. I am doing that, and following the Doctors orders. I am interested in how to crossfit around my injury. there isn't anything wrong with my upper body. Check out the CFJ article working wounded in May 2005. I am looking at the injury as an opportunity to improve my upper body strength (my weaknes) and to reaffirm my committment to my body is strong as ever despite the setback!!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Paul Glasheen

Profile:

Stephanie,
I've had an arthroscopic repair (multiple permanent sutures) in my medial meniscus. I've also had a partial menisectomy, a year later when I reinjured the same medial meniscus and destroyed the above mentioned repair.
My repair had me in an immobilizer brace for 6 to 8 weeks and I was non-weightbearing on the injured leg for that time also, as I remember, then the brace for quite a while longer but with weight bearing and slowly increasing range of motion.
I don't remember the specifics of my early rehab but it included electrical stimulation to get the affected leg's muscles firing without putting stress on my knee. The PT worked to break up scar tissue, change dressings, heat, ice, massage, ultrasound, Ionto(sp?), stretching techniques and fought for every millimeter of range of motion as it became available.
Being injured is frustrating but try to look at it as an opportuninty to start fresh. When you get out of the brace DONT LIMP! Walk and move around as slow as you need to to not limp. A limp is a really hard habit to break, don't start! Avoid the pounding and twisting/jumping moves for a good while when you get back to what feels like normal like box jumps(do step ups) as well as the running.
These may be obvious but things you can do now to stay motivated: ring rows, L-sits, supermans, one leg stationary bike you can get old Schwinn airdynes on craigslist and garage sales for like $50, the stationary bike was the most useful gym tool for my rehab, if there's a climbing rope at your box, lay flat on the floor holding your body in a plank and pull yourself to standing on your good leg then lower back to floor. Your doctor banned you from squatting on your injured leg, not your good leg. Brace yourself on the uprights of your pullup bar system or something similar and work on pistols(one leg squat) on your good leg, if your not at that level yet have your coach hang an assistance band from the pullup bar, sit in the loop of the band like your sitting on a swing and use it as assistance to start working on those pistols, your coach can spot you from behind.
When you get going on the real rehab don't just go through the motions, get after it! When the PT gives you a set of movements to do, always ask if you can do more. Push hard, it can and will get painful. After the weeks in the immobilizer you will be stiff and you'll need to suck up some discomfort to get your full range of motion back. Let the PT know that "pretty good" is not good enough for you. In order to function correctly (walk without a padding limp) your knee kneeds to extend more than 180degrees, this was hardest part for me after the immobilizer.
Good luck!

Last edited by Paul Glasheen : 05-07-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: saw your replies about pt after I posted
Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Make sure your diet is clean, and you are fish oiling it up.