CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Claudia Chance Nicosia

Profile:
ATTENtiON LADIES!/Weight Loss on CF

I am contemplating leaving my reg gym for a CF facility, having my intro session tomorrow am. I am 36 yr old & approx 30-40lbs overweight. I want to get healthy primarily and get to my target weight but not "bulk up." I want to get "lean & mean!" Talking to the CF gym owner today, he said "CF is not about the aesthetics of your body, it is about getting stronger." I chewed on that for awhile after & thought, maybe this isn't right for me. I see some lady CF'ers having very lean & sexy bodys while others look too bulky and a bit masculine. Is this genetics, diet, or the way they are choosing to workout?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: ATTENtiON LADIES!/Weight Loss on CF

Your trainer was right.

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." The same cannot be said for lean people or sexy people unless they also happen to be strong.

If you're trying to get healthy and lose 30-40 lbs, I'd worry most about your diet and performance and less about what your potential end result body type will be.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Cody Reis

Profile:

Not a lady, but I think I can chime in. I've always had aesthetic goals in the past: lose 15lbs, drop 10lbs of fat, 6 pack abs... I've found that just setting performance goals and concentrating on those brings about the other results a lot faster.

I don't worry about the scale, caliper, tape measure whatever anymore. I just work on improving my time, reps, weight etc every workout. And I'm looking better than I have in a long time.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Chance Nicosia View Post
I am contemplating leaving my reg gym for a CF facility, having my intro session tomorrow am. I am 36 yr old & approx 30-40lbs overweight. I want to get healthy primarily and get to my target weight but not "bulk up." I want to get "lean & mean!" Talking to the CF gym owner today, he said "CF is not about the aesthetics of your body, it is about getting stronger." I chewed on that for awhile after & thought, maybe this isn't right for me. I see some lady CF'ers having very lean & sexy bodys while others look too bulky and a bit masculine. Is this genetics, diet, or the way they are choosing to workout?
All of the above. Roughly speaking, weight is a function of your diet, body composition is a function of your workout regimen, both are modified by your genetics.

Considering pictures of female Crossfitters, remember that any muscle will look bulkier when flexed. Women in particular tend to look more "butch" in mid-workout than they do the rest of the time. Personally, I'd rather have the muscle and then figure out what clothes and what body fat level gives me the most flattering look.

Katherine
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

You have 40lb of fat to lose and your excuse not to start CrossFitting is that you're worried you'll get too bulky?

(Tamara, I think it's time for the shirt to come off again.)

Seriously, though, bulking up doesn't happen by accident. If it was that easy you wouldn't see so many skinny guys at your globo. It takes hard work and dedication to bulk up. For women, especially, since they're lacking in testosterone.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Hmmm. Well, I find that CF isn't just about the body, there are mental, physical and even spiritual / lifestyle components. I joined CF 3 weeks ago after losing 40-50 lb over the last few years. But I would never have joined CF till now. Because my goal now is functional fitness. I don't care about the scale anymore, I care about how my body is performing and how I am feeling.

You mentioned you have 30-40 lb to go. In other words, you've got 30-40 lb to lose BEFORE you start having to worry about lean/bulky bodies. Get to your main goal first and then worry about the specifics When you're talking about how much to bulk up, you're talking about when you are at a point in time where your body fat is very low. One thing at a time!

Crossfit is tough, it isn't for the weak of heart. If you are thinking long term goals and worrying about things in the future you've got to adjust that. When you do Crossfit your mind won't be able to focus on anything but the present, and how hard your body is working. =)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

"I don't want to bulk up."

For some reason I've gotten this a few times in the last couple of weeks. Here's a condensed version of what I tell my members:

Quote:
One of the great myths in the fitness arena is that putting on large amounts of lean muscle mass can happen accidentally. In reality, it's extremely challenging and requires a radical nutritional change, large amounts of supplements and concentrated effort over months and years. And probably some banned substances. It's just not something a person can normally stumble into without uncommon genetic predisposition.

Lifting weights will on the other hand make you strong. That's a different story entirely. What a lot of people fail to understand is that strength/conditioning and body composition are two entirely different goals. As such they require entirely different tactics to master. I won't get too deep, but in a nutshell, weight loss happens in the kitchen and strength/conditioning happens in the gym.

If you dial your nutrition in soundly, you will notice more muscle but not because you've grown it. It's been there all along. The truth is that everyone has six pack abs. You just can't see them on most people.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
(Tamara, I think it's time for the shirt to come off again.)
Of course .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
"I don't want to bulk up."

For some reason I've gotten this a few times in the last couple of weeks. Here's a condensed version of what I tell my members:

One of the great myths in the fitness arena is that putting on large amounts of lean muscle mass can happen accidentally. In reality, it's extremely challenging and requires a radical nutritional change, large amounts of supplements and concentrated effort over months and years. And probably some banned substances. It's just not something a person can normally stumble into without uncommon genetic predisposition.

Lifting weights will on the other hand make you strong. That's a different story entirely. What a lot of people fail to understand is that strength/conditioning and body composition are two entirely different goals. As such they require entirely different tactics to master. I won't get too deep, but in a nutshell, weight loss happens in the kitchen and strength/conditioning happens in the gym.

If you dial your nutrition in soundly, you will notice more muscle but not because you've grown it. It's been there all along. The truth is that everyone has six pack abs. You just can't see them on most people.
Ahhhh, but perception is a key player. Plenty of women think I'm lean in a good way, but just as many probably think I'm too "bulky." Women and men who CrossFit are much more likely to appreciate my body than the average person off the street. I mean, c'mon, we have idiot celebrity trainers like Tracy Anderson telling women they should never lift more than 3 lb weights because they will bulk up. It depends on how the OP defines lean and sexy versus bulky.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Of course .

Ahhhh, but perception is a key player. Plenty of women think I'm lean in a good way, but just as many probably think I'm too "bulky." Women and men who CrossFit are much more likely to appreciate my body than the average person off the street. I mean, c'mon, we have idiot celebrity trainers like Tracy Anderson telling women they should never lift more than 3 lb weights because they will bulk up. It depends on how the OP defines lean and sexy versus bulky.
Yeah, but if anyone follows your progression of pictures on FB, they can see how it worked out for you. Yes, you are super muscular and I'll agree that some people, especially outside of this community might not find that "lean and mean" as the OP suggests. However you FIRST dropped a ton of fat and hung out there for awhile before you really leaned out to the point where a lot of musculature was visible. Right? Point being, the OP could definitely have the fat loss results you experienced and call it a day at that point (vs the games intensity training you're doing now). Does this make sense?

OP, just try it. Trust me. Any muscle you gain will be less bulky than 40 pounds of fat.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Personally, I can't wait for the muscles - I think they are sexy.