CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Kenneth Martin

Profile:
shoulder surgery recovery (SLAP, RC, anterior capsule)

I realize there are a ton of shoulder surgery posts, but I was hoping to hear from CFers that have had shoulder surgery with similar repairs to me. I'm specifically interested in the anterior capsule repair as I've had trouble finding information on this procedure.

I had shoulder surgery in mid Sept 09 for a SLAP repair (10 o'clock to 1 o'clock), partial rotator cuff tear, and an anterior capsule repair. From the beginning, my PT has cautioned that with this many repairs the shoulder will likely not be the same and I may have to change how I work out, throw a ball, etc. Needless to say, I have been quite worried that I won't be able to do any of my favorite exercises again (O lifts, overhead press, pullups, etc.)

I am currently at the 7 month mark and ROM is pretty good. MY PT says I am well ahead of schedule, but of course I want more than just to be able to return to normal daily functionality. My overhead extension is near 100% but I had tight shoulders before the injury, so I would still like to gain greater ROM. My ortho gives me the same advice every visit and that is to stretch the posterior capsule. Great advice, but I have been and continue to do this stretch like crazy, so this advice is a little stale. I originally hurt my shoulder getting drilled under my arm as I was coming down from a rebound in basketball as a 6'6 guy was going up (Dec 08). I tried PT (should have known better as I went from 15+ pullups pre injury to 0 pullups post injury) and it improved slightly. I finally got an MRI in May and waited until after summer for surgery.

So, I was hoping to find out from anyone that has had a similar repair and can let me know what kind of timeline to expect for full recovery and what full recovery will mean exactly. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: shoulder surgery recovery (SLAP, RC, anterior capsule)

full tear... 6 months full recovery. no limitations no pain.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Fred Walden

Profile:

took a full year for me to get to 100%... not fun or easy (i'm 49)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Kenneth Martin

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

Fred, were you able to make significant gains in ROM from 6 to 12 months post surgery. I don't currently have the flexibility to do DB cuban rotations. My shoulders are not tracking evenly through the high pull phase. I am going to work on this ROM w/o weight, but was wondering what kind of success to expect.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

You can add a bit of weight to a PVC or stick to do external rotation stretch.

Keep up with internal rotation stretching, and posterior capsule stretch.