CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:
Junior Speed Rope

I have not seen discussion on this jump rope, which is why I have started a new thread. If I have overlooked it, let me know.

Currently, I have this rope:
http://www.buyjumpropes.net/Ultra_Sp...jump%20rop.htm (WFS)

I like it, its fast but maybe too fast for me.. I end up jumping on the ball of my foot instead of my whole foot because I can't keep up with the speed of the rotation of the rope (I feel like I have to jump fast on my tip toes almost). I usually fail double unders due to the rope hitting my feet rather than fatigue.

Someone suggested I try this one because its an in between.. that is not too light but not too heavy
http://estore.websitepros.com/1220297/Detail.bok?no=2 (WFS)

I tried the one at our gym but I could barely even get one double under. it was not heavy but I felt like it was moving slowly even though I was trying to be fast with the wrists.

I have also tried this one:
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/duvide_dbm.php (WFS)
and that was definitely too heavy and slow for me.

I am considering this one, because I am shorter (5' 3") and have small hands (and its cheaper)
http://estore.websitepros.com/1220297/Detail.bok?no=9 (WFS)

I have tried the regular Buddy Lee's Rope Master Jump Rope at the gym but the length its at is too long for me to know if its the one for me (I tried tying knots but that did not help much with adjusting the length). I did think the handles were long.

Anyhow I wanted to get any input on whether I should purchase the junior rope based on my experience with these other ropes.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Junior Speed Rope

To be honest with you, a regular licorice rope works as well as a cable and anything with a bearing on the handle. I have all three, and prefer the buyjumpropes.net 2-3 dollar licorice ropes. Easy to adjust, durable, and plenty of speed.

Just for the record, Ross Enamait uses a cheap everlast rope for his routine, and he is an expert in that department!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
To be honest with you, a regular licorice rope works as well as a cable and anything with a bearing on the handle. I have all three, and prefer the buyjumpropes.net 2-3 dollar licorice ropes. Easy to adjust, durable, and plenty of speed.

Just for the record, Ross Enamait uses a cheap everlast rope for his routine, and he is an expert in that department!!!
Thanks, I will give that rope a try.. at that price its worth a shot.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulsoom Ahmed View Post
I like it, its fast but maybe too fast for me.. I end up jumping on the ball of my foot instead of my whole foot because I can't keep up with the speed of the rotation of the rope (I feel like I have to jump fast on my tip toes almost). I usually fail double unders due to the rope hitting my feet rather than fatigue.
A quick unsolicited note about technique. You should always be on the balls of your feet while jumping rope no matter what rope you are using. When you are on the balls of your feet you can jump much faster. If your whole foot hits the ground, you can not recover fast enough to keep up with double unders. If you have proper technique you should not have to jump very high and should be able to basically just bounce lightly on your toes.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
A quick unsolicited note about technique. You should always be on the balls of your feet while jumping rope no matter what rope you are using. When you are on the balls of your feet you can jump much faster. If your whole foot hits the ground, you can not recover fast enough to keep up with double unders. If you have proper technique you should not have to jump very high and should be able to basically just bounce lightly on your toes.

I get cramps on the sides of my shins, which is what leads me to believe I am jumping practically on the tip of my toes and that the rope is spinning too fast?

I guess my expectation is that I land on the balls of my feet, the rest of the foot "touches" the ground, but the jump is occurring on the balls of my feet, like POSE.