CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Lee Jacobs

Profile:
Barbell Advice

I found this barbell for $39 on Craigslist. I have never bought a barbell before but want to start being able to do some WODs at home. The guy selling it doesn't know what brand it is, but claims the sleeves still spin freely. Can anyone give me some advice on whether it would be worth buying for a cheap bar and how to get the rust off? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	5809  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	5810  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Daniel Dean

Profile:
Re: Barbell Advice

Looks like minimal rust, so as long as it weighs 45lbs and the sleeves spin you can't really complain for $39.

I bought a similar looking bar and 255lbs of iron plates off a guy on craigslist a few months back for $100. Sure, I would prefer a nice bar and a set of bumpers, but I can't afford that and it's a lot better than no bar.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

it'd be nice if he had a picture where the bar meets the sleeve so you can at least see if there's some kind of decent bushing or not. As a total Craigslist whore, I've bought pretty decent bars for at least as cheap as what you're paying.

But yeah... until you wanna pony up some cash for a real bar, I'm sure that bar will suffice for your needs for the time being.

As for getting the rust off... spray the bar with WD-40, take a power drill with a wire brush attachment and go to town. Take some steel wool and go over it again. Then take some finer steel wool and go over that again until the bar is fully cleaned off. Spray with WD-40 throughout the process. When you're done cleaning it off... stand the bar up on one end and spray WD-40 where the bar meets the sleeve and let it soak overnight. Repeat the next night on the other side... you'll be good to go.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
John Westland

Profile:

I'm not too much of a bar geek. I just bought the Wright HD, however I've trained for a long time with bars like that.

It will be fine for slow lifts for sure. And you can do Oly stuff as well (the collars might not spin as much as a good one, and it won't "whip" like an expensive bar), that bar has bolted on sleeves so just don't plan on dropping it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

It's probably a CAP bar, it's not worth the energy to get the rust off. Just get it and use like it's rented. You don't need no fancy bar. Expensive bars are nice, but they ain't gonna affect your Fran time and 99.5% of us have a long time to go before they help us oly lift more. IMO.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
It's probably a CAP bar, it's not worth the energy to get the rust off. Just get it and use like it's rented. You don't need no fancy bar. Expensive bars are nice, but they ain't gonna affect your Fran time and 99.5% of us have a long time to go before they help us oly lift more. IMO.

I would disagree with your point around a nice bar not helping lifts and times. It most certainly will. The spin on the bar makes it so much more comfortable when doing the OLY lifts regardless of how much weight is on it.Better spin can really help in the lifts. Also, the second time I ever did FRAN actually was the first time I noticed how much a good bar can help. It just feels different in your hands than a cheap bar and I had been killing my wrists with front squat rack positions etc... Did Fran at the Cert. and no wrist pain at all. Fran still kicked my butt .
Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Like everyone above, I would recommend getting the bar. It sounds like a fair price. However, there is more to a nice bar than helping you lift more. If the bar does not spin reliably, it can be a safety hazard. You can even break your wrist if you try to clean and the weights don't spin. Don't worry about the surface rust as that is only cosmetic. However, dump a bunch of 3-in-1 oil in the sleeves and spin them a bunch to make sure that the bushings are well coated and won't lock up on you. For the most part if the bushings are well lubricated it should serve you well until you decide to get a nicer bar. The other thing to pay attention to is bars that are not designed for olympic weightlifting are always at risk of having a sleeve fall off if dropped. Bars that are not designed to be dropped often use threaded end nuts that can loosen due to vibration and either snap or fall out. If you check periodically to ensure that they are tight, you will extend the life of the bar.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

If you're fran time is under 3 minutes, maybe a nice bar will help. But ain't gonna help you much get from 5 mins to 3 mins. And I still believe that for 99.5% of us the reason that our oly lifts are not higher is b/c of our form and strength, and not the bar we are using. The 39 dollar bar will get you far.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Matt Payne

Profile:

Well it won't get you under a 3 min Fran time but it might save your wrists from hurting and having to drop the bar before your set is through. It is just FAR easier on the body and more reliable to use. The cheap bar is better than no bar but anyone doing regular Crossfit/lifting would benefit from a better bar.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Huw Owen

Profile:

i agree with brian. its 39 bucks, just buy it already!